All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Twins Radio Network just reported that Joe Ryan left in the 3rd due to "Right tri-cep soreness.". Gladden and Atterbury sounded encouraged that it was neither the elbow or forearm.

Also final in G1 at Cleveland:

D-Backs 7
Guards 3
If I was a betting man, I’d bet that either the Padres or Backs take the NL West.

@tikited you wanna lose some couch change?

Gee, I think it has to be. I can’t imagine what his next deal will be, 3/45, 15 a year. He’s only 31, so I can see something along those lines.

Wallner can take his spot and with his cannon, I’d like to see him as the primary RF. Thst leaves Martin, Larnach and Castro to cover third and spell Buck, until, hopefully, the Emmanuel Rodriguez era commences.
Luke Keaschall should be in the mix by midseason I'm guessing. Martin's days are numbered.

We need Correa back so Martin isn't playing so much (or is sent down). He's an ok bench guy but shouldn't be playing every day. That was a big mistake yesterday in the field and he does little at the plate.
Here’s Hayes’ update on Carlos -

Three and a half weeks since he last played, the Minnesota Twins are still in wait-and-see mode as Carlos Correa recovers from right plantar fasciitis.

Correa was originally expected to sit the final two games before the All-Star break and return to action the following weekend, however, the last time the Twins’ All-Star shortstop played was July 12 in San Francisco.

Despite the lengthy absence, the Twins were still without a set timeline for Correa’s return to the field as of Tuesday night.

Though manager Rocco Baldelli deemed Correa as “getting close” to starting a rehab assignment, the Twins still aren’t quite sure when he’ll be ready to go, nor what they can expect from him when he is.

“It’ll be day to day,” Baldelli said. “I actually don’t know the answer to that. I have no answer to that. I have not thought about that. I don’t plan on mapping too many things out beforehand, especially without talking to (athletic trainer Nick Paparesta). Nick will probably be the driver on what Carlos is going to be capable of day to day. … We’re just going to treat him right.”

How the Twins decided to treat Correa shifted from the original plan.

All along, Correa and the Twins suggested they wanted to avoid pushing through pain, something he did last season to the detriment of his offensive performance. Playing through constant pain, Correa produced some of the worst numbers of his career, which prompted the team to let him rest longer this time around.

At first, the Twins opted to simply let Correa, who dealt with left plantar fasciitis throughout the 2023 season, rest his foot. Then during the middle of the All-Star break, it was decided Correa would receive a platelet-rich plasma injection in his heel and mobilize his foot in a walking boot. Doctors informed Correa the injection initially would cause him pain, though it would dissipate after a week.

Correa didn’t accompany the Twins on their three-game trip to Wrigley Field. When he last addressed media Saturday, Correa said the pain in his heel diminished in the middle of last week.

Though Correa didn’t divulge a timeline for his return, he did discuss the possibility of going on a rehab assignment, which Baldelli confirmed Monday eventually would happen.

As of Saturday, Correa was jogging, hitting and taking groundballs. Team officials said Correa is staying in game shape and his swing looks good, but he’s still experiencing occasional soreness in his heel. To be activated, Correa said he needs to be able to run sprints without pain.

“When that moment gets there, I will let you know,” he said.

There was no announcement regarding Correa’s status Tuesday. Despite missing their best all-around player, Correa, hitting .308/.377/.520 with 13 home runs and 47 RBIs in 317 plate appearances, the Twins are 10-8 in his absence after Tuesday’s 7-3 loss to the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field.

“Sooner than later,” Baldelli offered. “He’s doing well. He’s getting close.”

Even with a critical four-game series against Cleveland starting Friday, the Twins are committed to not rushing back Correa. Even though the Twins want Correa in the lineup, they believe getting him right is the proper play and will prove beneficial later in the season.

“Every game feels like the most important thing, and it is at that moment,” Baldelli said. “But the long game for us, with the players that we have, is probably more important at this point in the season.

pitching probables for Guardians series:

Friday DH:
Bailey Ober (11-5, 3.69 ERA) & Louie Varland (0-4, 6.58 ERA majors/4-8. 4.91 ERA minors)
vs Alex Cobb (1-1, 3.52 ERA in minors) and TBA

Sat: SWR (3-2, 3.87 ERA) vs Gavin Williams (1-4, 4.91 ERA)

Sund: Festa (2-2, 5.55 ERA) vs TBA (possibly Tanner Bibee 9-4, 3.48 ERA)
Are these your probables or someone else’s?

Starting two rookies and one pitcher who was utterly ineffective earlier in the season, in arguably the biggest series thus far in the season seems rather ambitious.

Last edited:

D Backs are delicious with double dip sweep, beating the Guards 5-3 after 7-3 win in the first game.

3.5 back, hope this puts some pep in our step for Friday. I think we need 3 out of 4, to be serious contender

so the Guardians dropped both ends of the double-header. neither of their starters pitched well, and they used 8 relievers for the day.

their staff is just as beat-up as the Twins. so this series is going to be a battle of attrition.

Cleveland's projected starters include one TBA - probably someone coming up from the minors - a starter who has not been very effective (Williams), a guy coming off rehab who hasn't started a game in the majors this year (Cobb) and possibly Bibee, who has been dealing with a sore shoulder and missed his last start.

they're not rolling out Palmer, McNally, Cuellar and Dobson.

on Ryan, I saw a story online that if Ryan is out for a while, the Twins would consider Zebby Matthews or Varland as possible replacements in the rotation. but the initial reaction was that they don't think it's season-ending - more like something that needs some treatment.

Mookie is the coolest.
The original Mookie:
View attachment 32717
The 2nd original Mookie:
View attachment 32718

Good Grief, I’m surrounded by Mookie Blasphemers.

None of the above, to my knowledge, have been an MVD (Most Valuable Dinosaur 🦖). I’ll let the Real 🐐 Mookie explain -

MOOKIE WILSON, LF When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying if I be- lieve in dinosaurs, then somewhere, they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me. Then I
bust out.

This gem comes from an unbelievable article with the 86 Mets, baseball’s greatest, craziest team ever and regarding their favorite dinosaurs, the responses from Rafael Santana (funny as F) and Lenny Dykstra (odd and troubling) is worth a read.

For our fellow posters who were still frolicking in short pants in 1986, here is the Real MF Mookie. BTW, best smile in the game as well 😃 - I’ve never seen another player smiling as they hit, while swinging a bat the size of a tree branch, have you?

IMG_4788.jpegIMG_4786.jpeg

White Sox dismiss manager Pedro Grifol​

The Chicago White Sox today announced that Pedro Grifol has been dismissed as the club’s manager.
“As we all recognize, our team’s performance this season has been disappointing on many levels,” said Chris Getz, White Sox senior vice president/general manager. “Despite the on-field struggles and lack of success, we appreciate the effort and professionalism Pedro and the staff brought to the ballpark every day. These two seasons have been very challenging. Unfortunately, the results were not there, and a change is necessary as we look to our future and the development of a new energy around the team.”
Grifol, who was hired on November 3, 2022, led the White Sox to an 89-190 record over one-plus seasons at the helm, including a 28-89 record in 2024.
The White Sox will begin a search for a new manager immediately with a replacement expected to be announced after the conclusion of the 2024 season.

Good Grief, I’m surrounded by Mookie Blasphemers.

None of the above, to my knowledge, have been an MVD (Most Valuable Dinosaur 🦖). I’ll let the Real 🐐 Mookie explain -

MOOKIE WILSON, LF When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying if I be- lieve in dinosaurs, then somewhere, they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me. Then I
bust out.

This gem comes from an unbelievable article with the 86 Mets, baseball’s greatest, craziest team ever and regarding their favorite dinosaurs, the responses from Rafael Santana (funny as F) and Lenny Dykstra (odd and troubling) is worth a read.

For our fellow posters who were still frolicking in short pants in 1986, here is the Real MF Mookie. BTW, best smile in the game as well 😃 - I’ve never seen another player smiling as they hit, while swinging a bat the size of a tree branch, have you?

View attachment 32719View attachment 32720
I have submitted paperwork to have Blaylock and Pearl Jam moved down to Original Mookie #2 and #3 accordingly.

Jackson Halliday became the youngest MLB player ever to hit dingers in three consecutive games at the age of 20 years and change.

Royals are the 5th worst team in attendance this year.
They are missing out on an incredible and perhaps generational talent in Bobby Witt Jr.

I happened to see him twice last season (once each at Target Field & Wrigley) and it was one of the reasons I chose to see them again when they were here in late May.

They are missing out on an incredible and perhaps generational talent in Bobby Witt Jr.

I happened to see him twice last season (once each at Target Field & Wrigley) and it was one of the reasons I chose to see them again when they were here in late May.
KC might start paying attention if he followed Mahomes in the batting order….or started dating Taylor Swift.

They had good attendance in 2015/2016. You'd think 2/3 of a season is enough to prove they're legit and bring people back.

They had good attendance in 2015/2016. You'd think 2/3 of a season is enough to prove they're legit and bring people back.
There generally is a lag for an attendance rebound. I am sure the Season Ticket base had eroded which accounts for a substantial amount to a teams overall turnstile count.

Keep in mind they lost 106 games last year and 97 the year prior. That was the 3RD time they lost 100+ since 2018. They have been really dreadful. While I am sure they thought they would improve, nobody had this turn around tabbed.

There generally is a lag for an attendance rebound. I am sure the Season Ticket base had eroded which accounts for a substantial amount to a teams overall turnstile count.

Keep in mind they lost 106 games last year and 97 the year prior. That was the 3RD time they lost 100+ since 2018. They have been really dreadful. While I am sure they thought they would improve, nobody had this turn around tabbed.
They made some great acquisitions in the offseason and if we could have signed Lugo, I’d be like our chances against anyone.

Starters for both games tomorrow still not announced and no news on Twins App about the pitcher being added for the double header.

They made some great acquisitions in the offseason and if we could have signed Lugo, I’d be like our chances against anyone.
I thought Lugo was pretty risky. A guy that was in the bullpen most of his career. Has a good season last year switching to starter, throwing more than 101 innings for the first time in his career. He's 34 years old.

But it worked out incredibly well for KC.

Starters for both games tomorrow still not announced and no news on Twins App about the pitcher being added for the double header.
I think multiple media said that it will be Varland for the Twins and McKenzie for Cleveland. Just not officially announced by either team I suppose.

I thought Lugo was pretty risky. A guy that was in the bullpen most of his career. Has a good season last year switching to starter, throwing more than 101 innings for the first time in his career. He's 34 years old.

But it worked out incredibly well for KC.
I was pro-Lugo because his stuff was so good with the Mets (not just a two pitch guy), that’s the only reason I was on his bandwagon.

He was a guy, who was used incorrectly by the Mets, which is why they’re the Mets 🥸.

I could see him being effective throughout his whole contract; still lots of tread on the tires

Last edited:

Top Bottom