All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

OK. Aaron Gleeman has updated his story on The Athletic.

and he claims that SKOR North is also involved in the discussion for Twins radio rights.

I have nothing to add..................

I listen in the car on the 102.9 simulcast.

But if iHeart gets the Twins:

Say it's April, and both the Wolves and Wild are in the playoffs and the NBA & NHL schedule both teams on the same Tuesday (I use Tuesday because there won't be a day game for the Twins). I would guess:

Wild - KFAN
Wolves - KOOL 108
Twins KTLK 103.5/1130 (Where Gopher Hockey is broadcast)

Plus the new Twins Channel on iHeart and the Timberwolves Channel would also cast the games.
But are you 59😃?

Last edited:

Festa is looking impressive tonight- wow.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don’t make😃. He may well be better than any other starter we could have acquired.

Last edited:

Margot goes deep for his first homer off a righty

Festa is looking impressive tonight- wow.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don’t make😃. He may well be better than any other starter we could have acquired.
Great effort!!

Let’s get some more runs, good relief pitching and get Festa his well earned Win.

Another 0-4 night from Jeffers and a passed ball. Fair to wonder if Vazquez should be the #1 catcher right now?

Another A+ performance from Rocco. We are lucky to have him.
Yup - he makes many good calls. Here’s an example regarding Larnach’s blunder on the bases -

Larnach washes away gaffe

He didn’t have anyone on the bench to make the move anyway, but Baldelli wasn’t going to pull Trevor Larnachafter his mental base-running mistake in the third inning. Running on Matt Wallner’s two-out double to right, a ball that should have been caught but dropped in, Larnach inexplicably stopped after passing second base.

He’d forgotten how many outs there were. Trying to race home, Larnach instead was easily thrown out for the final out of the inning.

What initially appeared on TV broadcasts as a lack of hustle turned out to be a blunder that may have prevented the Twins from pulling away. Without Byron Buxton, Jose Miranda or Brooks Lee available, Baldelli instead told Larnach to forget the play and stay engaged in the game.

“Sometimes that stuff can stay with guys throughout games because he knows what he did,” Baldelli said. “It wasn’t a good baseball play, it was a mental error. Instead of him thinking the whole game that he let the team down in some way, I told him, ‘This is the last time you’re going to think about that play.’ … When we have a legitimate issue with effort, then I have a serious issue with the player. That’s not effort. Although it looks really bad, that was a mental error that cost us, but that was not an effort (play).”

—————-

As an ex-player he understands.

Will be interesting to see if the Red Sox can keep sniffing around the wildcard, currently 2.5 back from the last spot. Next closest are the Rays and Houston at 5 back.

I’m thinking the Red Sox will start to fade at some point.

The NL should remain a hot mess to the end.

I don't listen to many games on the radio but it is nice to be able to drive anywhere in the state and not have to find a new station 10 times.
This. Any time I want to listen to any of the games on KFAN, it happens to be the time there's a conflict, and I have to go searching trying to find where the game I actually want is. It's absurdly annoying. I listen to 102.9 for Twins games on most radios, or WCCO HD in my car. Additionally, as you mention it sure is nice being able to go pretty much anywhere within a few hundred mile range and still get the game on CCO. I remember back when they were on whatever garbage Pohlad-owned stations they used to be on and I couldn't ever get a clear signal and I lived maybe 5 miles from the stadium (yes, I understand that's not where the signal is coming from, but to be that close to the game and not be able to get it is just absurd). Between the previous radio debacle and the current TV debacle, just throw the fans a bone and stay on CCO even if they're offering a few bucks less for the rights.

Another 0-4 night from Jeffers and a passed ball. Fair to wonder if Vazquez should be the #1 catcher right now?
They haven't varied from starting every other game all year so it doesn't matter who the #1 catcher is.

I feel like he's been hitting the ball a little bit better lately? The double play he hit into in the 9th inning was hit really hard.
I think he has. I'm not calling for him to be benched or anything, just maybe opening some eyes to those who have whined and moaned all year about Vazquez getting playing time.

This. Any time I want to listen to any of the games on KFAN, it happens to be the time there's a conflict, and I have to go searching trying to find where the game I actually want is. It's absurdly annoying. I listen to 102.9 for Twins games on most radios, or WCCO HD in my car. Additionally, as you mention it sure is nice being able to go pretty much anywhere within a few hundred mile range and still get the game on CCO. I remember back when they were on whatever garbage Pohlad-owned stations they used to be on and I couldn't ever get a clear signal and I lived maybe 5 miles from the stadium (yes, I understand that's not where the signal is coming from, but to be that close to the game and not be able to get it is just absurd). Between the previous radio debacle and the current TV debacle, just throw the fans a bone and stay on CCO even if they're offering a few bucks less for the rights.

I live in outstate MN, so if I'm listening to a game on radio, it's from a Radio Network affiliate.

But - from what Gleeman said in his story, I get the sense that the Pohlads are looking at this from a different angle. whether you like their approach or not, KFAN has much higher ratings than CCO and draws a younger audience - which is what advertisers are interested in.

and as a long-time radio employee, I hate to say this, but AM radio is seen as a dying medium - much like cable TV. some car makers don't even put AM radio in their new models.

so - and this is just speculation - if the Pohlads are going to leave CCO, it will because they want a younger audience demographic.

(even though Gleeman says SKOR North is in the conversation, I would be amazed if they got the rights. they're really not even a radio station anymore - just a home for podcasts and YouTube shows - plus their hosts love to bash the Pohlads.)

Yup - he makes many good calls. Here’s an example regarding Larnach’s blunder on the bases -

Larnach washes away gaffe

He didn’t have anyone on the bench to make the move anyway, but Baldelli wasn’t going to pull Trevor Larnachafter his mental base-running mistake in the third inning. Running on Matt Wallner’s two-out double to right, a ball that should have been caught but dropped in, Larnach inexplicably stopped after passing second base.

He’d forgotten how many outs there were. Trying to race home, Larnach instead was easily thrown out for the final out of the inning.

What initially appeared on TV broadcasts as a lack of hustle turned out to be a blunder that may have prevented the Twins from pulling away. Without Byron Buxton, Jose Miranda or Brooks Lee available, Baldelli instead told Larnach to forget the play and stay engaged in the game.

“Sometimes that stuff can stay with guys throughout games because he knows what he did,” Baldelli said. “It wasn’t a good baseball play, it was a mental error. Instead of him thinking the whole game that he let the team down in some way, I told him, ‘This is the last time you’re going to think about that play.’ … When we have a legitimate issue with effort, then I have a serious issue with the player. That’s not effort. Although it looks really bad, that was a mental error that cost us, but that was not an effort (play).”

—————-

As an ex-player he understands.
I don't buy the excuse that he forgot how many outs there were. When BSN showed the replay the next inning last night, Larnach had just rounded second and was looking into the outfield when the ball dropped between the Cubs outfielders. If he thought there were zero or one outs, there's no reason for him to gone past second.

I don't buy the excuse that he forgot how many outs there were. When BSN showed the replay the next inning last night, Larnach had just rounded second and was looking into the outfield when the ball dropped between the Cubs outfielders. If he thought there were zero or one outs, there's no reason for him to gone past second.
Good point, but my first thought was that he forgot how many outs there were - though, i could be wrong, I often am.

Regardless, Rocko covered for his guy, either way. If he was loafing, he’ll never do it again. Additionally , I’ve never seen him not hustle/play hard, so regardless of why he f’d up, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, as we’re all human beings and we all fall short from time to time, right?

Lastly, it didn’t cost us the game, so all’s well that ends well in my book.

Top Bottom