All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Well, that answers that question. Farmer is starting in game 1. The first lineup MLB posted had Lee there. He's either headed to IL or STP

Sorry if it’s posted but quick help on why the double header today?

If you're worried about the pitching staff, Scott Blewitt is here to save the day...

"Blewett" is a terrible name for a relief pitcher.

Stupid question, but could the a Twins use a guy in game 1, then immediately send him down and call up another arm before Game 2?

"Blewett" is a terrible name for a relief pitcher.

Stupid question, but could the a Twins use a guy in game 1, then immediately send him down and call up another arm before Game 2?
I'm not sure. They do get an extra roster spot for the day already to bring it up to 27. I am presuming Ryan will also go on the IL for more flexibility.

From MLB App

Ryan & Lee on IL

The Twins on Friday announced they've placed right-handed pitcher Joe Ryanon the 15-day injured list with a right shoulder strain (retroactive to Thursday).

Ryan was removed from his start on Wednesday in the bottom of the third inning with the injury. The club also placed infielder Brooks Lee on the 10-day injured list with right bicep tendinitis (retroactive to Thursday).

To replace Ryan and Lee on the roster, Minnesota selected the contract of right-handed pitcher Scott Blewett from Triple-A St. Paul and returned infielder Kyle Farmer from his rehab assignment and reinstated him from the 10-day injured list.
To make room on the 40-man roster, the Twins transferred right-handed pitcher Brock Stewart (right shoulder strain) to the 60-day injured list.

Ryan has gone 7-7 with a 3.60 ERA (135.0 IP, 54 ER), 23 walks and 147 strikeouts in 23 starts for the Twins this season.

Why are our injuries always "worse than expected?"
Soft tissue injuries, most common in baseball, are harder to diagnose and heal from. I once pulled a hammy, which was black and black blue, and couldn’t do anything for 6 weeks.
And why are we always hurt!?
Prior to Ryan’s injury, Twins staff had missed the third least amount of starts due to injury.

Relievers because they pitch so frequently are more prone to injury IMO.
And why didn't the FO make a move in our most vulnerable position?
It was a seller’s market and Twins weren’t willing to trade the farm for a rental - which I understand.
UGHHHH.

Win Twins!!

Last edited:

Soft tissue injuries, most common in baseball, are harder to diagnose and heal from. I once pulled a hammy, which was black and black blue, and couldn’t do anything for 6 weeks.

Prior to Ryan’s injury, Twins staff had missed the third least amount of starts due to injury.

Relievers because they pitch so frequently are more prone to injury IMO.

It was a seller’s market and Twins weren’t willing to trade the farm for a rental - which I understand.
Michael Lorenzen was acquired by the Royals for a marginal prospect. They didn't have to trade the farm. They chose to do nothing.

Ober domination in the first game - smoke ‘em - he’s throwing another gem.

37 year old Alex Cobb, Guard’s game 2 starter, hasn’t pitched in 11 months; he’ll either be great or horrid. I’m opting for the latter.

Let’s grab two today!!

Michael Lorenzen was acquired by the Royals for a marginal prospect. They didn't have to trade the farm. They chose to do nothing.
I was referring to the pitchers they had targeted - my bad, I thought that was apparent.

Possibly they weren’t as enthralled with a guy whose record was, 5-6 W/3.81 ERA and 1.279 WHIP as you are. Did that ever occur to you?

found a YouTube video with a physical therapist explaining what a "grade 2 teres major strain" means. basically, partial tearing of the muscle - but does not require surgery. timeline of 4 to 6 weeks is the general rule of thumb - shorter for a grade 1 strain, longer for a grade 2. so best-case scenario, Ryan makes it back for the last week of the regular season and the playoffs (assuming the Twins are in the playoffs).

other updates- Brooks Lee listed as biceps tendinitis.

Scott Blewett - 6'6", 245 lbs - 28 yrs old. Drafted by Royals in 2nd round in 2014 out of HS. 10 seasons in the minors - primarily as a starter. pitched in 5 games in MLB for the Royals in '20 & '21.

this year with St. Paul - 36 games - 3 starts - 5-2, 3.66 ERA - 51 IP, 52 K, 17 BB.

Pretty sure he’s pitching to guys like you, me, and Adam Dunn.
Random Adam Dunn reference - excellent.

A quick search turned up a great nickname, Big Donkey which I wasn’t aware of, he was recruited to play QB at Tejas - which I knew.

I didn’t know the following, that he was a sneaky prolific HR hitter (he ended up at 462 🤠) -

He is tied for most opening day home runs at eight with Frank Robinson and Ken Griffey Jr.,[3] and on August 18, 2012, he became the 50th MLB player to hit 400 career home runs.[4] He also ranked third on the all-time strikeout list at the time of his retirement, with 2,379, and fourth for the most Golden sombreros(at least four strikeouts in a game) at 19, tied with Bo Jackson.[5] He also holds the American Leaguerecord for most strikeouts in a season with 222, which he set in 2012.

Prior to Ryan’s injury, Twins staff had missed the third least amount of starts due to
We were due for something like this. Maybe we can sign Bauer and resurrect the career of Larnach’s college teammate Luke Heimlich and push the boundaries of MLB’s political correctness.

We were due for something like this. Maybe we can sign Bauer and resurrect the career of Larnach’s college teammate Luke Heimlich and push the boundaries of MLB’s political correctness.
Bauer deserves another chance but describing Heimlich's actions as "politically incorrect" would be an interesting stretch.

Top Bottom