All Things 2024 College Football D2 and D3 Thread

They lost some other coach, who cares, Warburg was good last year, there average this year. Their students are graduating and moving on with their lives. SJU has 24 year old NIL players that are graduated and working for their banker daddy, in Div 3, it is a joke, and they will loose in the second round despite paying their QB to play.
Is this post reflective of a St Thomas education?

You know what else? Saint John lived to be 60 years old. Back in the 3rd Century that’s like 100.

You put the ridiculous old age of their namesake with the ridiculously old 24 year QB and it is some serious BS. Super unfair.

They lost some other coach, who cares, Warburg was good last year, there average this year. Their students are graduating and moving on with their lives. SJU has 24 year old NIL players that are graduated and working for their banker daddy, in Div 3, it is a joke, and they will loose in the second round despite paying their QB to play.
Nut job.

SJU has a 26-year-old running back, I am not sure anyone has heard about this.

SJU has a 26-year-old running back, I am not sure anyone has heard about this.

Sounds like Mankato State hockey.

6 years in the Air Force. And then the guy decides to take a shot at playing college FB. More power to him. I don't give a rat's ass what school he plays for.
Exactly. I'm not sure why this is something to get down on.

6 years in the Air Force. And then the guy decides to take a shot at playing college FB. More power to him. I don't give a rat's ass what school he plays for.

Agreed. The great Roger Staubach, a childhood hero of mine, spent four years in the Navy after winning Heisman and before going pro. Not the same order, but having veterans on the team would seem to be only a good thing IMO.

It's a positive for the young man and looks good for SJU; a win - win.
Not for the other 10 RB's in a Div 3 program paying a large tuition for 2-3 years putting time in to play. He was on Portland states football team for 2 years and went into the portal. He is almost 30 years old and has kids. I can see it in a scholarship program. No problem with him playing football. The whole point is if you know John Gag and his coaching style he believed in his own guys and was loyal to them, the current coach just wants a bunch of old men so he can wins some games.

Not for the other 10 RB's in a Div 3 program paying a large tuition for 2-3 years putting time in to play. He was on Portland states football team for 2 years and went into the portal. He is almost 30 years old and has kids. I can see it in a scholarship program. No problem with him playing football. The whole point is if you know John Gag and his coaching style he believed in his own guys and was loyal to them, the current coach just wants a bunch of old men so he can wins some games.

Fair? What the hell is "fair" in college football? Every single player in that program is paying to go to school. Same goes for D2. If the 20-year old isn't good enough beat out a guy almost 30, then be better. Is it "fair" when the freshman 18-year old that still has a boy's body can't beat out the 22-23 year-old fifth year senior?

BTW, Gags, and every coach of a nationally relevant top 10ish D3 program, has guys that could play a couple levels up including transfers. That fact is as old as small college football.

This is a really weird take.

Nuts.

He just went from being 26 to “almost 30.”

If it was me trying to making your ridiculous point I would say he is “almost 40.” That way when the rest of us read it, we would jump out out of our chairs in outrage.

I do know about Gagliardi and his coaching style. I played in the MIAC for Augsburg and played against John's teams back in the 80's, but that was long ago. The landscape of college football, even in the MIAC has changed since his time. Teams win the MIAC with key transfers; not homegrown talent, it's just the way it is.

Is there a rule against these old men playing college football? If there was, surely they would not be allowed to do so, correct?

You don’t know John Gag. He took plenty of guys who transferred down a level. This includes, Ryan Keating.

Every year, Gags got about 2-3 guys who transferred down a level to join the team.

MIAC Football Schedule for Saturday 9/21

Gustavus (0-1) at UW-Stevens Point (1-1)
UW-Eau Claire (1-1) at Bethel (1-0)
Augsburg (0-1) at Martin Luther (2-0)
UM-Morris (1-1) at Carleton (0-1)
St. Scholastica (0-1) at Crown College (0-2)

for bonus points - without looking it up - Crown College is located in what MN city?

Gustavus (0-1) at UW-Stevens Point (1-1)
UW-Eau Claire (1-1) at Bethel (1-0)
Augsburg (0-1) at Martin Luther (2-0)
UM-Morris (1-1) at Carleton (0-1)
St. Scholastica (0-1) at Crown College (0-2)

for bonus points - without looking it up - Crown College is located in what MN city?
St Boni

@Ope3 Will Carleton be playing home games in their stadium? I remember the river ran right next to that field, and there being quite a bit of flooding on the field earlier this summer. Did the turf come back well enough to play?
I couldn't stay for the game with pre-game Floyd of Rosedale plans, but Laird Stadium is good to go.

I drove by about an hour ago, special teams were already warming up. Field looked great.

You don’t know John Gag. He took plenty of guys who transferred down a level. This includes, Ryan Keating.

Every year, Gags got about 2-3 guys who transferred down a level to join the team.
Jackson Erdman was the D3 player of the year at SJU, started his career as a walk on at Penn St. Gags was also instrumental in Tom Linneman coming back at Qb for his 5th year in the late ‘90’s which was unheard of in the MIAC at the time

Gustavus (0-1) at UW-Stevens Point (1-1)-- Gustavus 31, UW-Stevens Point 10
UW-Eau Claire (1-1) at Bethel (1-0)--Bethel 51, UW-Eau Claire 30
Augsburg (0-1) at Martin Luther (2-0)-- Augsburg 34, Martin Luther 7
UM-Morris (1-1) at Carleton (0-1)--Carleton 28, UM-Morris 7
St. Scholastica (0-1) at Crown College (0-2)--St. Scholastica 35, Crown 15

-----

next week - (1st round of conference games)
St. Scholastica at Concordia
Carleton at Hamline
St. John's at Bethel
Gustavus at Augsburg
St. Olaf at Macalester

(I watched most of the Augsburg-Martin Luther game. Video feed by Martin Luther students was interesting. best comment - "We're appalled at the egregious non-call by the officials.")

Well after one of the biggest wins in probably the last 25 years, the Dragons had a let down game on the road in Illinois against McKendree University. The offense couldn't get going at critical times and it came back to bite them. It's a tough loss, this was a winnable game on a very tough opening to the schedule.

Their next game is against the defending NSIC champions, and then after a road trip to Winona State, they play the highest ranked Northern Sun team, MSU Mankato. Fingers crossed that they can get one more upset and steal another game on the road against the Warriors.

Below are results, standings and next week's schedule, Minnesota teams in bold.

Results
  • Minnesota State-Mankato routed Minot State, 40-6
  • McKendree defeated Minnesota State-Moorhead, 22-15
  • Bemidji State edged Sioux Falls, 28-24
  • Concordia St. Paul won over Southwest MN State, 27-17
  • Augustana ran past Northern State, 41-7
  • Wayne State outlasted Winona State, 28-21
  • Minnesota Duluth crushed UMary, 43-7
Standings
  • Minnesota State-Mankato (4-0, 3-0)
  • Augustana (2-1, 2-0)
  • Bemidji State (3-1, 2-1)
  • Minot State (3-1, 2-1)
  • Sioux Falls (3-1, 2-1)
  • Wayne State (3-1, 2-1)
  • Minnesota-Duluth (2-1, 1-1)
  • Concordia-St. Paul (1-2, 1-1)
  • Minnesota State-Moorhead (1-2, 1-1)
  • Winona State (1-2, 1-1)
  • Mary (1-3, 0-3)
  • Southwest Minnesota State (0-3, 0-3)
  • Northern State (0-4, 0-3)
Games for next week:
  • Southwest Minnesota State at Minnesota-Duluth
  • Minnesota State-Mankato at Concordia-St. Paul
  • Augustana at Minnesota State-Moorhead
  • Sioux Falls at Minot State
  • Mary at Bemidji State
  • Winona State at Northern State

D2 Polls are out, NSIC teams in bold, Minnesota teams in italics.

Coaches Poll
  1. Harding (Ark.) 3-0
  2. Grand Valley St. (Mich.) 3-0
  3. Valdosta St. (Ga.) 4-0
  4. Colorado School of Mines 3-0
  5. Ferris St. (Mich.) 2-1
  6. Lenoir-Rhyne (N.C.) 3-0
  7. Minnesota St-Mankato 4-0
  8. Kutztown (Pa.) 3-0
  9. Slippery Rock (Pa.) 3-0
  10. Pittsburg St. (Kan.) 3-1
  11. Emporia St. (Kan.) 4-0
  12. Central Missouri 2-1
  13. Central Washington 2-1
  14. Western Colorado 3-0
  15. Indianapolis (Ind.) 3-0
  16. Ouachita Baptist (Ark.) 3-0
  17. West Alabama 4-0
  18. Augustana (S.D.) 2-1
  19. Charleston (W.Va.) 3-0
  20. Henderson St. (Ark.) 3-0
  21. West Florida 1-1
  22. Colorado St.-Pueblo 3-1
  23. Central Oklahoma 3-0
  24. Delta St. (Miss.) 3-1
  25. Indiana (Pa.) 3-0
Others Receiving Votes: Findlay (Ohio), Bemidji St. (Minn.), Davenport (Mich.), East Stroudsburg (Pa.)

Media Poll
  1. Harding (3-0)
  2. Grand Valley State (3-0)
  3. Valdosta State (4-0)
  4. Minnesota State-Mankato (4-0)
  5. Pittsburg State (3-1)
  6. Ferris State (2-1)
  7. Colorado School of Mines (3-0)
  8. Kutztown (3-0)
  9. Central Washington (2-1)
  10. Slippery Rock (3-0)
  11. Central Missouri (2-1)
  12. Lenoir-Rhyne (3-0)
  13. Western Colorado (3-0)
  14. Indianapolis (3-0)
  15. Emporia State (4-0)
  16. Ouachita Baptist (3-0)
  17. Henderson State (3-0)
  18. West Alabama (4-0)
  19. Augustana (2-1)
  20. West Florida (1-1)
  21. Bemidji State (3-1)
  22. Charleston (3-0)
  23. Central Oklahoma (3-0)
  24. Colorado State-Pueblo (3-1)
  25. Carson-Newman (3-0)

D2 Polls are out, NSIC teams in bold, Minnesota teams in italics.

Coaches Poll
  1. Harding (Ark.) 3-0
  2. Grand Valley St. (Mich.) 3-0
  3. Valdosta St. (Ga.) 4-0
  4. Colorado School of Mines 3-0
  5. Ferris St. (Mich.) 2-1
  6. Lenoir-Rhyne (N.C.) 3-0
  7. Minnesota St-Mankato 4-0
  8. Kutztown (Pa.) 3-0
  9. Slippery Rock (Pa.) 3-0
  10. Pittsburg St. (Kan.) 3-1
  11. Emporia St. (Kan.) 4-0
  12. Central Missouri 2-1
  13. Central Washington 2-1
  14. Western Colorado 3-0
  15. Indianapolis (Ind.) 3-0
  16. Ouachita Baptist (Ark.) 3-0
  17. West Alabama 4-0
  18. Augustana (S.D.) 2-1
  19. Charleston (W.Va.) 3-0
  20. Henderson St. (Ark.) 3-0
  21. West Florida 1-1
  22. Colorado St.-Pueblo 3-1
  23. Central Oklahoma 3-0
  24. Delta St. (Miss.) 3-1
  25. Indiana (Pa.) 3-0
Others Receiving Votes: Findlay (Ohio), Bemidji St. (Minn.), Davenport (Mich.), East Stroudsburg (Pa.)

Media Poll
  1. Harding (3-0)
  2. Grand Valley State (3-0)
  3. Valdosta State (4-0)
  4. Minnesota State-Mankato (4-0)
  5. Pittsburg State (3-1)
  6. Ferris State (2-1)
  7. Colorado School of Mines (3-0)
  8. Kutztown (3-0)
  9. Central Washington (2-1)
  10. Slippery Rock (3-0)
  11. Central Missouri (2-1)
  12. Lenoir-Rhyne (3-0)
  13. Western Colorado (3-0)
  14. Indianapolis (3-0)
  15. Emporia State (4-0)
  16. Ouachita Baptist (3-0)
  17. Henderson State (3-0)
  18. West Alabama (4-0)
  19. Augustana (2-1)
  20. West Florida (1-1)
  21. Bemidji State (3-1)
  22. Charleston (3-0)
  23. Central Oklahoma (3-0)
  24. Colorado State-Pueblo (3-1)
  25. Carson-Newman (3-0)

Not sure if anyone noticed, but D3 #3 ranked UW Lacrosse just gave D2 #2 ranked powerhouse Grand Valley State all they could handle on Saturday with a 20-13 score. GVS probably won't have many D2 games that close this year.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but D3 #3 ranked UW Lacrosse just gave D2 #2 ranked powerhouse Grand Valley State all they could handle on Saturday with a 20-13 score. GVS probably won't have many D2 games that close this year.
that was a good game. was hoping lax could pull it off but still a very impressive showing.

La crosse also handily beat another D2 team, northern Michigan, last week. They are best team in Wiac in my opinion

D3 Football.com - new poll

1. North Central (ill) 16 1st-place votes
2. Cortland - 9 1st-place votes (in New York state)
3. UW-Whitewater
4. Mount Union
5. UW-La Crosse (up from 6th place last week)
6. St. John's (up from 12th)
7. UW-River Falls
------
13. Wartburg (down from 5th place)
14. UW-Oshkosh (up from 17th last week)
------
24. Bethel (not rated last week)

others receiving votes: UW-Platteville, Central College IA,

Top Bottom