All Things 2024 College Football D2 and D3 Thread

My uw stout blue devils lost to Carrol from the other Wisconsin/illinois conference in a relatively close game. La Crosse and whitewater are the heavy favorites in the Wiac again

MIAC Football scores from week #1

(Fri, Sept 6)
Valley City State 24, Augsburg 14

(Sat, Sept 7)
UW-Eau Claire 21, Concordia 10
Whitworth U. 40, Gustavus 7
St. John's 49, Carthage College 0
UM-Morris 17, Macalester 16
Hamline 35, Crown College 14
St. Olaf 39, U of Northwestern MN 21
Pomona-Pitzer 28, Carleton 12

Next week - Sat, Sept 14 - Schedule
Rockford University at St. Scholastica
Wartburg at St. John's
Luther College at St. Olaf
Concordia at Pacific Lutheran
Martin Luther at Macalester
UM-Morris at Hamline
Bethel at U of Northwestern MN

They don't just control it. They own it. Though there were some tax breaks, the stadium was privately financed. They don't have to let anyone use it.
The field at Allianz is immaculate. I watch a lot of soccer and it appears to be one of the nicest playing surfaces around. Better than some top-tier teams in Europe. I absolutely would not let football teams destroy the field if I were them.

Here are results and standings after this weekend in the NSIC.
  • Wayne State defeated Minnesota State-Moorhead 44-17
  • Augustana defeated Mary 35-13
  • Saginaw Valley State defeated Winona State 38-14
  • Minot State routed Southwest Minnesota State 42-9(!)
  • Minnesota State-Mankato edged Bemidji State 31-29
  • Upper Iowa beat Concordia-St. Paul 33-7
  • Sioux Falls took out Northern State 34-10
Standings
  • Minnesota State-Mankato (2-0, 1-0)
  • Minot State (2-0, 1-0)
  • Sioux Falls (2-0, 1-0)
  • Wayne State (2-0, 1-0)
  • Augustana (1-0, 1-0)
  • Minnesota-Duluth (1-0, 0-0)
  • Concordia-St. Paul (0-1, 0-0)
  • Winona State (0-1, 0-0)
  • Bemidji State (1-1 ,0-1)
  • Mary (1-1, 0-1)
  • Minnesota State-Moorhead (0-1, 0-1)
  • Southwest Minnesota State (0-1, 0-1)
  • Northern State (0-2, 0-1)
Next week's lineup
  • Mary at Sioux Falls
  • Southwest Minnesota State at Bemidji State
  • Northern State at Minot State
  • Minnesota State-Moorhead at Minnesota-Duluth
  • Augustana at South Dakota State
  • Minnesota State-Mankato at Wayne State
  • Winona State at Concordia-St. Paul

It looks like the MIAC is looking pretty week. It looks like SJU a private 4 year Catholics University has taken a page from St. Thomas recruiting, Their QB is a 24 year kid transfer, their RB transfer graduated from HS in 2016, they have several JC students starting. So much for the other 250 kids paying 50,000 dollars to play. Yet they did not make the playoff last year. Funny

MN United would never, ever allow that. They were apparently very unhappy with the conditions after the Tommie-Johnnie game that one time. I don't think we'll see college football at Allianz again.
We don’t have professional soccer here. Use it!😳

It looks like the MIAC is looking pretty week. It looks like SJU a private 4 year Catholics University has taken a page from St. Thomas recruiting, Their QB is a 24 year kid transfer, their RB transfer graduated from HS in 2016, they have several JC students starting. So much for the other 250 kids paying 50,000 dollars to play. Yet they did not make the playoff last year. Funny
Dude...give it up.

@Ope3 Will Carleton be playing home games in their stadium? I remember the river ran right next to that field, and there being quite a bit of flooding on the field earlier this summer. Did the turf come back well enough to play?

They have football?
I went to one of their games last year - was on the campus for the regional cross-country championships and as I was leaving the football game was playing so I stuck around to watch. They have a really neat old stadium - I like the old ones better than the new. They went 7-3 last year, 5-3 in the conference, so a pretty decent year.

@Ope3 Will Carleton be playing home games in their stadium? I remember the river ran right next to that field, and there being quite a bit of flooding on the field earlier this summer. Did the turf come back well enough to play?
Last I heard they should be good to go for their Home Opener in 2 weeks. I walked by the stadium over the weekend and while it wasn't lined yet, it looks like it will be playable.

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine who is on their maintenance crew said they were working on just the SE corner of the field.

Knights opened with quite a road trip, losing to Cal Poly Pomona-Pitzer 28-12. Must have wanted to get out of town for Defeat of Jesse James Days weekend.

interesting....served 6 years in the air force and now going back to school.....most people applaud that.....but when you have an agenda to meet anything goes

Top 25 polls are out for D2. NSIC teams in bold, Minnesota teams in italics.

Coaches poll
  1. Harding (Ark.) 1-0
  2. Central Missouri 1-0
  3. Grand Valley St. (Mich.) 1-0
  4. Pittsburg St. (Kan.) 2-0
  5. Colorado School of Mines 1-0
  6. Valdosta St. (Ga.) 2-0
  7. Ferris St. (Mich.) 1-1
  8. Lenoir-Rhyne (N.C.) 1-0
  9. Kutztown (Pa.) 1-0
  10. 1Slippery Rock (Pa.) 1-0
  11. Minnesota St-Mankato 2-0
  12. West Florida 1-0
  13. Central Washington 0-1
  14. Augustana (S.D.) 1-0
  15. Western Colorado 1-0
  16. Indianapolis (Ind.) 1-0
  17. Delta St. (Miss.) 2-0
  18. Ouachita Baptist (Ark.) 1-0
  19. Minnesota-Duluth 1-0
  20. Charleston (W.Va.) 2-0
  21. Emporia St. (Kan.) 2-0
  22. Colorado St.-Pueblo 1-0
  23. Virginia Union 1-1
  24. Henderson St. (Ark.) 1-0
  25. Fort Hays St. (Kan.) 2-0
Others Receiving Votes: 33; Wayne St. (Neb.), 19; Bemidji St. (Minn.), 2; Sioux Falls (S.D.), 1; Minot St. (N.D.)

Media Poll

1. Harding (1-0)
  2. Central Missouri (1-0)
  3. Pittsburg State (2-0)
  4. Grand Valley State (1-0)
  5. Valdosta State (2-0)
  6. Colorado School of Mines (1-0)
  7. Minnesota St-Mankato (2-0)
  8. Ferris State (1-1)
  9. Kutztown (1-0)
  10. Central Washington (0-1)
  11. Slippery Rock (1-0)
  12. Delta State (2-0)
  13. Lenoir-Rhyne (1-0)
  14. West Florida (1-0)
  15. Indianapolis (1-0)
  16. Western Colorado (1-0)
  17. Ouachita Baptist (1-0)
  18. Augustana (1-0)
  19. Henderson State (1-0)
  20. Minnesota-Duluth (1-0)
  21. Fort Hays State (2-00
  22. Virginia Union (1-1)
  23. Bemidji State (1-1)
  24. Charleston (2-0)
  25. Colorado State-Pueblo (2-0)

I watched a little bit of the Augsburg game on streaming. Augsburg had roughly 100 yds more total offense, but threw 2 INT's, including one that went for a pick-six. Auggies used two QB's - a JR and a FR. the FR looks like the better athlete. I could see him getting more of the playing time going forward.

interesting....served 6 years in the air force and now going back to school.....most people applaud that.....but when you have an agenda to meet anything goes
He was at Portland State and transferred. That is like having a 23 year old kid on your high school team. I can see it at a scholarship team, but not in the MIAC, when playing Hamlin, Augsburg, Carleton. They have over 200 kids earning degrees and their spot is taken by a 26 year old, get real.

Does anyone on here know how old the St. John’s QB is?
He is 24 and graduated last year. His dad is a banker in the cities and has donated a lot to the school. He is living in the cities and taking like 1 class. They had a number of QB's transfer or discontinue because of the head coaches methods of bringing in old transfers over the kids that have been in the program. The coach got NIL money for the QB to return. They play Wartburg next week and their 24 year old QB Syverson, tied a school record for 4 INT against them the last time they played.

He was at Portland State and transferred. That is like having a 23 year old kid on your high school team. I can see it at a scholarship team, but not in the MIAC, when playing Hamlin, Augsburg, Carleton. They have over 200 kids earning degrees and their spot is taken by a 26 year old, get real.
yeah no i get it.....agendas need to be met

and you do understand that most of those 200 kids on the team understand their odds of playing are not very great anyway correct?

minnesot

That’s odd that they got blown out by d2 Sioux Falls but then only lost by 7 to a really good scholarship fcs northern Iowa
Really good might be a stretch. UNI'S relavence has faded although there's some thought they might be a tougher out this year. It's not hard to assume that UNI overlooked UST. UNI has been undisciplined and inconsistent for a number of years.

The bloom is off the MIAC rose.
The MIAC is basically 7A football. Pay to play intermural football, with one team with over 200 kids playing against St. Scholastica, in which they have players that did not play in HS and a number of their players quit. I guess, there are not enough kids at the other schools to create a team that is competitive at the national level.

look - MIAC schools - now that St. Thomas is gone - are not football factories. No one from the MIAC is looking to play in the NFL.

these are student-athletes in the true sense of the phrase. people who love football and want to keep playing while they pursue an education.

but the MIAC, year in and year out, puts some very respectable teams on the field. some programs are stronger than others - but you could say the same about any football conference.

I watch a fair amount of D3 games on streaming, and it's entertaining football. It's not FBS or FCS - it's not meant to be. but at its own level, it's mostly competitive and there are still some damn good athletes out there.

and I went to Augsburg - a school where football was something to watch (or not watch) while you waited for the Wrestling season to start.

look - MIAC schools - now that St. Thomas is gone - are not football factories. No one from the MIAC is looking to play in the NFL.

these are student-athletes in the true sense of the phrase. people who love football and want to keep playing while they pursue an education.

but the MIAC, year in and year out, puts some very respectable teams on the field. some programs are stronger than others - but you could say the same about any football conference.

I watch a fair amount of D3 games on streaming, and it's entertaining football. It's not FBS or FCS - it's not meant to be. but at its own level, it's mostly competitive and there are still some damn good athletes out there.

and I went to Augsburg - a school where football was something to watch (or not watch) while you waited for the Wrestling season to start.
Augsburg has some new coaches that are trying hard and have improved. I think Augsburg is having a hard time financially. That was my point about student-athlete for D3, that is why I laugh when SJU brings in 26 year old transfer running backs to complete against Macalester.

Last edited:

MIAC - Sat, Sept 14 - Schedule

Rockford University (1-0) at St. Scholastica (0-0)
Wartburg (1-0) at St. John's (1-0)
Luther College (0-0) at St. Olaf (1-0)
Concordia (0-1) at Pacific Lutheran (1-0)
Martin Luther (1-0) at Macalester (0-1)
UM-Morris (1-0) at Hamline (1-0)
Bethel (0-0) at U of Northwestern MN (0-1)

I would be tempted to watch some of the St. John's/Wartburg game, but St. John's charges a fee for its video feed. (insert Tommyboy comment here). Most MIAC schools make the video feed available for free.

MIAC - Sat, Sept 14 - Schedule

Rockford University (1-0) at St. Scholastica (0-0)
Wartburg (1-0) at St. John's (1-0)
Luther College (0-0) at St. Olaf (1-0)
Concordia (0-1) at Pacific Lutheran (1-0)
Martin Luther (1-0) at Macalester (0-1)
UM-Morris (1-0) at Hamline (1-0)
Bethel (0-0) at U of Northwestern MN (0-1)

I would be tempted to watch some of the St. John's/Wartburg game, but St. John's charges a fee for its video feed. (insert Tommyboy comment here). Most MIAC schools make the video feed available for free.
I always find it odd that Concordia seems to regularly play Pacific Lutheran. That has to be an expensive game.

Top Bottom