CB Duke Shelley

RB Myles Gaskin

DB Bobby McCain

DL James Lynch

TE Robert Tonyan

DL Jonah Williams

The Vikings waived the following player with an injury designation:

WR Malik Knowles

The Vikings left the following player on the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform list:

TE T.J. Hockenson

The Vikings placed the following player on Injured Reserve:

LB Jordan Kunaszyk

The Vikings placed the following players on Injured Reserve-Designated for Return:

OLB Gabriel Murphy

G Dalton Risner

- Happy they were able to stash Gabe Murphy on IR; he could be an UDFA steal

- I was pulling for Cine to make it but it was going to be uphill

- Like everyone, surprised they cut RB Kene N, but I'm sure they aren't done

- Thought they would keep Tyrese Robinson, thought he was coming on strong and they need the OL depth but not to be.

- Honestly, I would have loved for them to pursue a different guy for backup QB, and maybe they still could. Mullens is just a turnover machine, and Hall isn't ready.

they have to add another RB. no way they start the season with just Aaron Jones, Ty Chandler and CJ Ham. I suspect they're perusing the waiver wire as we speak.

as a Gopher fan, I'd like to see them give Mo Ibrahim a shot, but I think the odds of that happening are fairly small.
Samaje Perine might be a RB to keep an eye on.

‘I worked in stock trading where you are judged on every trade.’ -Kwesi

The initial 2024 #Vikings Practice Squad

1. Robert Tonyan - TE
2. Tyrese Robinson - OL
3. Thayer Thomas - WR
4. Lucky Jackson - WR
5. Jeshaun Jones - WR
6. Andre Carter II - OLB
7. Bo Richter - OLB
8. Myles Gaskin -RB
9. Bobby McCain - DB
10. Jaylin Williams - DB
11. Nashon Wright - DB
12. Jonah Williams - DL
13. N'Keal Harry - TE
14. DeWayne McBride - RB
15. Henry Byrd - OL
16. Dallas Gant - LB
17. IPP Player Sammy Reyes - TE

Not sure I wouldn't be happier with Rypien as the primary backup over Mullens. I just have no faith in Mullens at this point.

I spent the day on the golf course in a minor celebrity tournament a couple years ago with Rypien's uncle, former NFLer Mark Rypien. Good dude, pretty proud of his nephew, he was with the Broncos at that time I think. Never fails, you see one of those former players who played any amount of time long ago and their bodies are so damn beat up, it's hard not to feel bad for them. Knees beat to shit, hobbling around, ouch...

I think the Vikings should draft Travis Hunter next year

What a disappointing and shortsided decision IMO. Hall has shown some flashes and is the epitome of a 3rd developmental QB.
They're trying to get Hall onto the practice squad. Rypien is insurance in case he gets claimed.

They're still bitter about the Steve Hutchinson poison pill...

damn - just saw this pop up on my phone -

Saints trade Kamara to Vikings

so I click on it - and it's speculation - not a report of an actual trade.

Deep dive on the previous Head Coach.

Personally, I liked Zim. When their roster was healthy, they were stout on Defense. Downfall was as a Head Coach, needed to also focus on other side of the ball with really adept Offensive Coordinators and at least be on the same page.

The way it fell apart with Norv Turner was a bad omen.

The time was ripe when they let him go. I think the Wilfs made the right decision to make a clean break with Spielman as well.

Last edited:

Personally, I liked Zim. When there roster was healthy, they were stout on Defense. Downfall was as a Head Coach, needed to also focus on other side of the ball with really adept Offensive Coordinators and at least be on the same page.

The time was ripe when they let him go. I think the Wilfs made the right decision to make a clean break with Spielman as well.

I liked Zim too, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him do good things with the Dallas defense this year. Some guys are much better suited to being OC or DC than the head honcho.

I liked Zim too, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him do good things with the Dallas defense this year. Some guys are much better suited to being OC or DC than the head honcho.
By no means would I term his tenure with the Vikings as a failure, but as the article points out a 2nd go around as a HC just won't be in the cards with his age and teams are looking for guys that have a rep for coaching up QBs.

Part of the age thing was he was hired relatively old by today's standards due in part to his personality and how he came across in the interview room.

He had some HC success. If Blair Walsh doesn't fall apart and/or Bridgewater & Cook don't get hurt in 2017...who knows how history would view him.

Personally, I liked Zim. When there roster was healthy, they were stout on Defense. Downfall was as a Head Coach, needed to also focus on other side of the ball with really adept Offensive Coordinators and at least be on the same page.

I also liked Zim, and his tenure brought a lot of fun moments and competitive teams. I think it was the right time to part ways when they did, but I've gotten a little sick of the revisionist history and the local media dragging his name through the mud. I hate Dallas as much as the next guy, but I'd be very happy for Zim to see him succeed down there.

so I got up on Sunday, and somehow I got it into my head that the Vikings were playing. I'm running around, trying to get things done because I thought the game started at Noon.

I finally figured it out when I was taking my morning walk, listening to Barreiro on KFAN, and the pre-game show wasn't on. then I stopped, thought for a moment, and realized the opener was not for another week.

and so it goes.

so I got up on Sunday, and somehow I got it into my head that the Vikings were playing. I'm running around, trying to get things done because I thought the game started at Noon.

I finally figured it out when I was taking my morning walk, listening to Barreiro on KFAN, and the pre-game show wasn't on. then I stopped, thought for a moment, and realized the opener was not for another week.

and so it goes.

You're scaring some of us, SON.

Is a wellness check in order?

I kid, because I care!

I also liked Zim, and his tenure brought a lot of fun moments and competitive teams. I think it was the right time to part ways when they did, but I've gotten a little sick of the revisionist history and the local media dragging his name through the mud. I hate Dallas as much as the next guy, but I'd be very happy for Zim to see him succeed down there.
If you read the article, it was everyone's fault but, Zim's.

Reading that article made me want to puke.

Also, the number one kicker in the NFL now is probably Daniel Carlson. He ran him out after missing some kicks against Green Bay.

Zim was alright, but he wanted to win in todays NFL with the run first and the pass second.

If you read the article, it was everyone's fault but, Zim's.

Reading that article made me want to puke.

Also, the number one kicker in the NFL now is probably Daniel Carlson. He ran him out after missing some kicks against Green Bay.

Zim was alright, but he wanted to win in todays NFL with the run first and the pass second.
Admittedly I didn't read this article and my comment was more around what the general narrative around Zim has been after his departure. He absolutely had his faults and it was time for him to go, I just don't like the way he has largely been portrayed since he did leave town.

Admittedly I didn't read this article and my comment was more around what the general narrative around Zim has been after his departure. He absolutely had his faults and it was time for him to go, I just don't like the way he has largely been portrayed since he did leave town.
That's how I view it as well.

I would guess after his comments in the article, if I were Zim, I don't think I would be expecting an invite to the Ring of Honor at the Zygi Dome.

Finally read this. It doesn't make Zimmer look very good IMO. Very petty. Very "old man yelling at the clouds". He kinda says he's probably to blame for some things but then doesn't really admit any wrongdoing. The Vikings are the only team to give him a chance to be a head coach.

This especially seems like a childish response from him. Newman has been around a long time and been in many different locker rooms. If he says it was toxic then it probably was toxic.

Newman spoke with Tyler Dunne of Go Long and detailed what he called a “toxic” atmosphere in Zimmer’s final days.
“That one hurt me bad,” Zimmer says. “Terence was like my son. I called Parcells about that one. I called Terence. He said, ‘Well, that’s how I felt.’ I said, ‘Then, look, we’re done.’ ”

Like others said, I did like him but it seems the right decision was made to fire him.

I thought that the article also made it really clear that Zimmer and Spielman - at least by the last couple of years - had no relationship, or just a bad relationship. when the top 2 people in the organization aren't speaking and have no working relationship, that is (IMHO) going to filter down to the rest of the organization.

the head coach and GM don't have to be best buddies, but they need to have - at least - a working relationship. in the Vikings' case, that situation led to some poor personnel decisions being made.

Looks like they are only suiting up 2 running backs (plus C.J.) for the game and Chandler is also returning kickoffs. Doesn't leave much room for error if 1 of them gets nicked up. What could go wrong?

Interesting article on Darnold’s journey and why we should be cautiously optimistic in z the Athletic

I just got done reading that and was going to comment on it. Alec Lewis is far and away the best Vikings beat writer (if that's what he technically is there?) that I have seen. He does a great job covering the Vikings and that was a great piece.

I'm guilty as charged, I think Darnold is going to excel this season and make himself a lot of money. The connection with McCown is a big factor I think, and his comfort level there.

I just got done reading that and was going to comment on it. Alec Lewis is far and away the best Vikings beat writer (if that's what he technically is there?) that I have seen. He does a great job covering the Vikings and that was a great piece.

I'm guilty as charged, I think Darnold is going to excel this season and make himself a lot of money. The connection with McCown is a big factor I think, and his comfort level there.
Their deep dives on articles are so much better - I hope they’re around forever and hopefully the NYT deeper pockets and broader reach yields many more subscribers - reminds me of how excited I was as a kid to read Sporting News/S.I.

Top Bottom