All Things 2024-25 Vikings Regular Season Thread

We come in healthy and I think they will be motivated off the loss.

If we had won Sunday I think it could have been a trap game.
The Indy game is now moved to Sunday Night Football so it could qualify. Hopefully Darnold doesn't have Prime Time issues like Cousins.

Correct, but I was hoping our defense was better than that.

88% isn't going to last at all.

He's completing 73% on year. 88% is ridiculous.
I'm going to wait for more than 1 game (especially against an offense that was red hot coming into the Zygi Dome) to draw any conclusions on the state of the Vikings Defense.

The Indy game is now moved to Sunday Night Football so it could qualify. Hopefully Darnold doesn't have Prime Time issues like Cousins.
I can't explain it, but I just don't see Darnold having the it factor.

Darnold is a middle tier QB with a big arm. I like him as our QB at his current salary. We have weapons that make him better.

I predict he moves on and is about as successful Case Keenum.

Darnold is a middle tier QB with a big arm. I like him as our QB at his current salary. We have weapons that make him better.

I could see him taking less money to stay. He of all people should know fit matters and that he shouldn't just automatically go for the most money.

I agree, I don't think he's a superstar but even middle of the pack QB production is probably more than what we'd see out of JJM next year.

If he keeps playing the way he has and the Vikings make the playoffs, maybe win a game or two, what kind of money would he get next year? Would 2 for $50M be enough? That would be around Geno Smith money. Not sure.

Last edited:

I could see him taking less money to stay. He of all people should know fit matters and that he shouldn't just automatically go for the most money.

I agree, I don't think he's a superstar but even middle of the pack QB production is probably more than what we'd see out of JJM next year.

If he keeps playing the way he has and the Vikings make the playoffs, maybe win a game or two, what kind of money would he get next year? Would 2 for $50M be enough? That would be around Geno Smith money. Not sure.
Whatever the next contract ends up being, Darnold will have earned it.

That said, it will probably be more than what I want the Vikings to pay considering the draft capital we spent on JJM and the other holes we need to fill.

My take is a reverse rub, though. What good is "filling the other holes" if JJM isn't ready and we have a below average QB in a league where team success is so dependent on it?

That said, it will probably be more than what I want the Vikings to pay considering the draft capital we spent on JJM and the other holes we need to fill.

My take is a reverse rub, though. What good is "filling the other holes" if JJM isn't ready and we have a below average QB in a league where team success is so dependent on it?
Yep, the goal is to find a good QB and win with him. If Darnold continues to play well, they resign him, he goes on to have another few good years, and JJM doesn't end up getting an opportunity with MN, then so be it.

I think the only way he's the starter next year is if they make the NFC Title game or better. And even then it's no better than 50/50.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the Vikings almost have to make a strong move to keep Darnold next year, don't they? Hear me out...

With Darnold gone, they go into next year with JJM and something like Nick Mullens (or worse!) at backup QB? That is not a great plan, particularly with how this front office has built this team to really compete in 2025 and 2026, more so than 2024.

And who is paying Darnold big money, on a long term deal, to be their "franchise QB"?

My guess is, the Vikings either franchise tag Darnold (roughly $42M?) or transition tag him (roughly $35.8M?), and if someone offers some decent return, MAYBE they could trade him. They could also give him a 2-yr deal that makes it worth it for him to stay.

None of this means anything until we see what he does in the next 3 months though. It could all be a Moo point (atta boy, Joey!) if he shits the bed or the other end of the spectrum where he makes himself not affordable for the Vikings.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the Vikings almost have to make a strong move to keep Darnold next year, don't they? Hear me out...

With Darnold gone, they go into next year with JJM and something like Nick Mullens (or worse!) at backup QB? That is not a great plan, particularly with how this front office has built this team to really compete in 2025 and 2026, more so than 2024.

And who is paying Darnold big money, on a long term deal, to be their "franchise QB"?

My guess is, the Vikings either franchise tag Darnold (roughly $42M?) or transition tag him (roughly $35.8M?), and if someone offers some decent return, MAYBE they could trade him. They could also give him a 2-yr deal that makes it worth it for him to stay.

None of this means anything until we see what he does in the next 3 months though. It could all be a Moo point (atta boy, Joey!) if he shits the bed or the other end of the spectrum where he makes himself not affordable for the Vikings.
I think the move would be to identify the next "Sam Darnold" or "Geno Smith" and coach him up.

I'm going to wait for more than 1 game (especially against an offense that was red hot coming into the Zygi Dome) to draw any conclusions on the state of the Vikings Defense.
You saw this against the packers in the second half. Damn near 300 yards passing. Luckily, Love took a half to get back in the flow.

Any passing offense is going to rip us a new one on defense.

Top Bottom