All Things 2024-25 Vikings Regular Season Thread

There's rumors about the Vikings trading for Stafford. I find it hard to believe. He's not that much better than Darnold at this point and it's a huge question if he can stay healthy. Certainly it can't happen until after this week's game.
What's truly funny about the rumor is the Rams would be a perfect fit for Darnold next year if Stafford retires with offensive weapons like Kyren, Puka and Kupp supporting him.

I wouldn't trade Darnold for Stafford straight up at this point let alone send trade assets for him.

Not having JJM healthy this year and learning the offense, bonding with the WRs and getting reps against a defense in practice really complicate this situation and the decision that needs to be made.

Based on Sam's play thus far, getting a contract worth 3/$105 is certainly possible.
As long as we only guarantee 40 of it that might work.

Vikings have a 4.4 million dead money cap hit for Lewis Cine and Andrew Booth Jr. in 2025.

Imagine if they had just selected Kyle Hamilton...ooof

As long as we only guarantee 40 of it that might work.

Vikings have a 4.4 million dead money cap hit for Lewis Cine and Andrew Booth Jr. in 2025.

Imagine if they had just selected Kyle Hamilton...ooof
We should've drafted Antoine Winfield, Jr. the year before, too. Imagine that pairing at Safety.

There's rumors about the Vikings trading for Stafford. I find it hard to believe. He's not that much better than Darnold at this point and it's a huge question if he can stay healthy. Certainly it can't happen until after this week's game.
I haven't read any rumors about Stafford yet but there are reports that the Vikings, along with a few other teams, are interested in Cooper Kupp. It also said that the Rams are willing to eat part of his money in any possible trade, too.

RB Aaron Jones
WR Justin Jefferson
WR Cooper Kupp
WR Jordan Addison
TE TJ Hockenson

Yes, please...although if we really wanted to blow our Cap space for next season, call the Raiders and get me some Max Crosby before the Lions do:

2025 Vikings FRP
Edge Dallas Turner

Does that get it done and if so, should we do it?

Last edited:

We should've drafted Antoine Winfield, Jr. the year before, too. Imagine that pairing at Safety.

The number of people that obsess about the Cine pick and can't stand Kwesi because of it is just staggering, mindboggling really. He was the last pick of the 1st round, #32 for crying out loud.

That same draft, they drafted Ty Chandler in the 5th and Jalen Nailor in the 6th, fairly major contributors. It was pretty well documented that, at that time, Hamilton was supposed to be a great fit for a specific defensive scheme, and that scheme was NOT what was run by the legendary Ed Donatell.

What people also forget, Kwesi conducted the 2022 draft with the entire scouting department staff and data collected by the previous regime's scouting staff. This front office didn't bring in their own personnel folks until after the 2022 draft.

As far as I'm concerned, KAM and the current regime has largely knocked it out of the park. Could not be a lot happier. I imagine that Khryee Jackson would be a major contributor this season (especially after the loss of Blackmon for the year) if he had not tragically passed.

The number of people that obsess about the Cine pick and can't stand Kwesi because of it is just staggering, mindboggling really. He was the last pick of the 1st round, #32 for crying out loud.

That same draft, they drafted Ty Chandler in the 5th and Jalen Nailor in the 6th, fairly major contributors. It was pretty well documented that, at that time, Hamilton was supposed to be a great fit for a specific defensive scheme, and that scheme was NOT what was run by the legendary Ed Donatell.

What people also forget, Kwesi conducted the 2022 draft with the entire scouting department staff and data collected by the previous regime's scouting staff. This front office didn't bring in their own personnel folks until after the 2022 draft.

As far as I'm concerned, KAM and the current regime has largely knocked it out of the park. Could not be a lot happier. I imagine that Khryee Jackson would be a major contributor this season (especially after the loss of Blackmon for the year) if he had not tragically passed.
I still hold Kwesi accountable for that miserable draft and many scouting "experts" had both AWJ and Hamilton slotted as great fits for the Vikings in their respective draft classes.

Second guessing by provincial fans like me has a perfect record, though. KAM has certainly made some great decisions, too, that deserve more credit than he's received.

Not having JJM healthy this year and learning the offense, bonding with the WRs and getting reps against a defense in practice really complicate this situation and the decision that needs to be made.

Based on Sam's play thus far, getting a contract worth 3/$105 is certainly possible.
$35M would still put him in the bottom half of starting QB salary. If Darnold continues to play well, I would not be against 2 years for $60M. It's possible Darnold understands the importance of the right fit and the Vikings get him back at a discount over what he could get in free agency.

The number of people that obsess about the Cine pick and can't stand Kwesi because of it is just staggering,
I don't have a problem with Kwesi, he did make a big mistake there. I'm glad it appears he learned from it.

If I remember correctly Kyle Hamilton was widely regarded as one of the best players in that draft and we traded away a pick for him to get another safety.

I still hold Kwesi accountable for that miserable draft and many scouting "experts" had both AWJ and Hamilton slotted as great fits for the Vikings in their respective draft classes.

Second guessing by provincial fans like me has a perfect record, though. KAM has certainly made some great decisions, too, that deserve more credit than he's received.
Newfoundland?

I haven't read any rumors about Stafford yet but there are reports that the Vikings, along with a few other teams, are interested in Cooper Kupp. It also said that the Rams are willing to eat part of his money in any possible trade, too.

I guess Doogie (of all people) is saying Kwesi is working on "something big", and yes it could involve the Rams and possibly Stafford.

Hell, trade for Stafford and then trade Darnold to the Raiders!! Or some other QB-needy team, like Cleveland! That would actually be kinda epic; acquire Stafford, move Darnold, reacquire some capital from the Stafford move.

Hard to see the Rams moving Stafford though, unless McVay loves, LOVES him some Jimmy G; because Stetson Bennett has looked horrendous. Zero chance they like that move?

A lot of times you can look back at a draft and gone coulda/woulda/shoulda. Justin Jefferson was the 5th WR drafted in 2020 for example. That one, the Vikes just got lucky. My big problem with the Cine pick is it was the classic Spielman “act like you’re the smartest guy in the room” bit, even when we had a new guy running the show. You’re sitting there at 14, and instead of just taking the highest rated Safety, you tried to get too cute and gave division rivals ammo while taking a much worse player. The guy couldn’t even learn the playbook for F’s sake. If the guy is that dumb, it should have shown up in research and interviews.

I think Kwesi has redeemed himself nicely, so I’ll gladly eat crow, but that was so epically bad, it cannot be understated. He has 1 career tackle and is sitting on the Bills practice squad while collecting millions from the Vikes.

Last edited:

I'm a little surprised at the willingness to want to re-sign Darnold already, or thinking he is the answer for next year. He got off to a nice start, and his numbers look ok, but he has reverted to who Darnold normally is over the last 3 games.

Does anyone have faith that he can drive the team down the field with a minute or 2 left for a game winning TD or field goal? I don't. Right now he's a game manager who can hit a big play every once in a while.

I doubt the Vikings end up with Stafford, how many teams have traded QBs midseason and had success? Stafford would be an upgrade over Darnold though.

I'm a little surprised at the willingness to want to re-sign Darnold already, or thinking he is the answer for next year. He got off to a nice start, and his numbers look ok, but he has reverted to who Darnold normally is over the last 3 games.

Does anyone have faith that he can drive the team down the field with a minute or 2 left for a game winning TD or field goal? I don't. Right now he's a game manager who can hit a big play every once in a while.

I doubt the Vikings end up with Stafford, how many teams have traded QBs midseason and had success? Stafford would be an upgrade over Darnold though.
At this point, I'm not sure who is better. Stafford has become a human statue and can hardly move out of the pocket anymore. I would be surprised if the Vikings don't have 4-5 sacks tomorrow night.

I haven't seen enough to sign Darnold to a new contract yet..but I don't think trading him for Stafford is the answer, either. This rumor just seems weird to me.

At this point, I'm not sure who is better. Stafford has become a human statue and can hardly move out of the pocket anymore. I would be surprised if the Vikings don't have 4-5 sacks tomorrow night.

I haven't seen enough to sign Darnold to a new contract yet..but I don't think trading him for Stafford is the answer, either. This rumor just seems weird to me.
I could have understood the rumor at the time JJM went down. Right now, does not make a lot of sense.

Kwesi's first draft sucked. There's no way around it. They could have stayed at 12 and drafted Kyle Hamilton. But he's mostly nailed things since then and deserves a pass on it.

I'm sure it's a short list. But Stafford would already know the playbook etc. so it's a rare case in some ways.

Stafford has been sacked 1 fewer times than Darnold this season. He also hasn't had anyone to throw to.

I don't think that trade makes any sense either. Despite whatever happens this season, I would bet a lot of money that McCarthy is the starting QB week 1 next season.

Pet peeve about Thursday night football.

Any team playing a Thursday night game should be coming off a bye the previous week.

It just can't be that hard to schedule.

The problem is the Players Association does not want that. The want their Bye Week to be a Full Week off without a game/practice.

Players are actually good with 1 (now even possibly 2) Thursday games. It gets them a 2nd long break.

I think they only way they would agree to the Thursday after a bye deal is if they get a full 2nd Bye week into their CBA. That could happen when (not if) there is an 18 game schedule.

Kwesi's first draft sucked. There's no way around it. They could have stayed at 12 and drafted Kyle Hamilton. But he's mostly nailed things since then and deserves a pass on it.
What about Dallas Turner?

Is he still hurt. If that's a miss, then it's a problem. We gave up a bunch.

Pet peeve about Thursday night football.

Any team playing a Thursday night game should be coming off a bye the previous week.

It just can't be that hard to schedule.
It wouldn't be possible to do that all year as they don't have byes weeks ~ 2-4 or the last couple of weeks. Also, I think teams have generally expressed they don't want their bye cut short by having a Thursday game.

The problem is the Players Association does not want that. The want their Bye Week to be a Full Week off without a game/practice.

Players are actually good with 1 (now even possibly 2) Thursday games. It gets them a 2nd long break.

I think they only way they would agree to the Thursday after a bye deal is if they get a full 2nd Bye week into their CBA. That could happen when (not if) there is an 18 game schedule.
Super Bowl March Madness.

Super Bowl March Madness.
The NFL could get there. I think the NFL is apprehensive about having the Super Bowl on President's Day Weekend, as lots of people are traveling.

I could easily see them having the Big Game the Sunday after President's game. Labor Day ratings suck, so the TV/Streaming partners don't want to move the opener earlier than the Thursday after the first Monday in September.

The NFL could get there. I think the NFL is apprehensive about having the Super Bowl on President's Day Weekend, as lots of people are traveling.

I could easily see them having the Big Game the Sunday after President's game. Labor Day ratings suck, so the TV/Streaming partners don't want to move the opener earlier than the Thursday after the first Monday in September.
I had heard they wanted it President's day so most people would have Monday off. Either way, if they add an 18th game and another bye they would push right past it and the Super Bowl would be the last week of February. I doubt they would want to go past that as it would no longer in February Sweeps. That's not as important as it used to be, but I'm guessing the networks would still care.

Top Bottom