All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

The ref said 70 reported as eligible even though he was 15 yards away and #68 was talking to him.
Couldn't it have been that #68 told him that #70 was eligible?

And apparently if you are coming in and reporting eligible, you're not allowed to be covered up, which they (also) violated.

video evidence proves Decker reported.
No, it only proves that he was talking to the ref. That doesn't prove that they were saying #68 was eligible.

You have no clue what was "actually" said.

Basically Brad Allen is inept at his job and he works a company that generates billions of dollars a year and is involved in hundreds of millions of dollars changing hands each week.
Don't get me wrong. I'm a Vikings fan. I know how hard we get F'ed by the refs and the script they need to follow as written in NYC.

Unless the math somehow proves me wrong here, it’s just idiotic to go for 2 after the penalty there. No idea why that is something people think should be celebrated.
Some combination of stupidity and stubbornness

No, it only proves that he was talking to the ref. That doesn't prove that they were saying #68 was eligible.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe a person can say another person us eligible. I think you have to report yourself. Not a rules expert so I may be wrong. However, if that is the rule, then Allen obviously f'ed up and transposed the numbers, which, knowing his history is pretty likely. Think Lions got screwed.

That said, I question Campbell's decision making. 1. Not taking the gimme field goal in the 1st quarter on 4th and 4 (could have used those 3 points) and 2. As was mentioned earlier, once the penalty was called, your odds of making the 2 goes way down. Kick the extra point and take your chances in OT. You have the momentum.

He wasn't covered. The receiver was set back.

You're intentionally obtuse. You are now ignored.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe a person can say another person us eligible. I think you have to report yourself. Not a rules expert so I may be wrong. However, if that is the rule, then Allen obviously f'ed up and transposed the numbers, which, knowing his history is pretty likely. Think Lions got screwed.
OK. That is fair and I don't know if that's actually allowed, either. It may not be. I had not seen the actual video of what happened when I said that, so I had the wrong thing in my head.

I think this article nails it on the head: https://larrybrownsports.com/football/lions-confusing-2-point-conversion-cowboys/626351

It’s not 100 percent clearly exactly who Allen was looking at, but he appeared to be focused on Skipper and pointed at Skipper, despite Decker approaching to report as eligible.

Allen may have thought Skipper was running at him to report as eligible and then just went to tell the Cowboys that No. 70 was eligible, even if Skipper never said a word.

The Lions’ mistake is that they sent three offensive linemen toward Allen — with the obvious intent to deceive Dallas’ defense. The problem is they confused the official, who reported the “wrong” player eligible.

In my opinion, this was an execution error by Detroit. If they didn’t want to confuse the official, they should have told Skipper to run straight to the huddle rather than run toward the official. They should have made it clear to the official who was reporting as eligible. They failed to do so, which is part of their responsibility.

That said, I question Campbell's decision making. 1. Not taking the gimme field goal in the 1st quarter on 4th and 4 (could have used those 3 points) and 2. As was mentioned earlier, once the penalty was called, your odds of making the 2 goes way down. Kick the extra point and take your chances in OT. You have the momentum.

Not to mention, going to excessive and risky lengths to try to deceive the defense on the trick play.

Refs are human. The deception worked too well.

The people who are pissed are bettors. Plain and simple

Of course, if you bet on Detroit for the spread ... you won. Or the Under, you won. Converting the 2pt wouldn't have changed that either.

It's just the people who bet on the Detroit .... ML ... and probably as part of a 5-leg parlay, who are pissed off. :ROFLMAO:

Question: if #70 never had any intention of reporting .... then why is he running directly at the ref when he comes onto the field?? Why not just run right to the huddle?

They got too cute, and it bit them in the ass. And then still tried to go for it, twice. No sympathy.

They were also, you know, down late in the 4th. Maybe score more points earlier in the game, then you aren't in that position?

No one wants to talk about that part, it's boring.

Last edited:

And everyone is pumping this guy for Coach of the Year. They've won two more games this year than last year, and they are in one of the shittiest divisions in football, but sure, let's give him COY

And everyone is pumping this guy for Coach of the Year. They've won two more games this year than last year, and they are in one of the shittiest divisions in football, but sure, let's give him COY

Lions had not won a Division title in 30 years. COY for that train wreck of a franchise seems completely appropriate.

Last edited:

Unless the math somehow proves me wrong here, it’s just idiotic to go for 2 after the penalty there. No idea why that is something people think should be celebrated.
Why? They have a play from what, seven yards out? The object is to win and that’s your chance to do it. Why would hoping to win a coin toss or stop the other team’s offense and then go score be a smarter option? Why not just go win it? Explain it please.

Couldn't it have been that #68 told him that #70 was eligible?

And apparently if you are coming in and reporting eligible, you're not allowed to be covered up, which they (also) violated.
No it could not. The formation 70 lines up in he would never be eligible.

The ref shat the bed and “thought” 70 was the one to be eligible because he had been eligible in previous plays. This is not a judgment mistake like a missed holding call. This is a procedural call that should never not be correct.

Why? They have a play from what, seven yards out? The object is to win and that’s your chance to do it. Why would hoping to win a coin toss or stop the other team’s offense and then go score be a smarter option? Why not just go win it? Explain it please.
Because you play odds. Odds of winning in OT are around 50%. Odds of making it from the 7 for the 2 point conversion are far less than that. It's around 50% from the 2 yard line. He lost his bet. Too mad and stubborn to call an audible.

Because you play odds. Odds of winning in OT are around 50%. Odds of making it from the 7 for the 2 point conversion are far less than that. It's around 50% from the 2 yard line. He lost his bet. Too mad and stubborn to call an audible.
yep, 50% to win in overtime.

Not close to 50% on hitting from the 7 yard line.

What are the odds of making it from the 7 for 2?

Things going well for the Vikings chances except for the Eagles/Cards. Vikings need Eagles to win, otherwise SF will have nothing to play for vs. Rams next week and Detroit will remain alive for #2 seed.

Your logic is fine.

But if it was that cut and dried obvious the lower risk, every coach would go for it almost every time.

They don’t because it isn’t.

Things going well for the Vikings chances except for the Eagles/Cards. Vikings need Eagles to win, otherwise SF will have nothing to play for vs. Rams next week and Detroit will remain alive for #2 seed.
The NFL script says that Stafford is going back to Detroit. That’s what they want

Interesting (to me) question:

if it somehow exactly broke down that the outcome of the Vikings-Lions would either send the Rams to Detroit or send the Vikings right back to Detroit ….. which do you think the Lions would try to get?

Lamar enjoy that second MVP and John Harbaugh poised to grab his second SB.

Interesting (to me) question:

if it somehow exactly broke down that the outcome of the Vikings-Lions would either send the Rams to Detroit or send the Vikings right back to Detroit ….. which do you think the Lions would try to get?
The Rams will be starting a guy who has won a Super Bowl. The Vikings would be starting one of a trio of barely competent QBs. Not much debate to me.

Numbers I researched show around 30% but saw numbers as low as 20% and as high as 42%. Not much data on 2 point conversions from the 7 as nobody does it so researched 4th and goal from the 7. Even then, there were variables involved. Bottom line, chances are less than kicking PAT and going to OT.

Top Bottom