All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

It's foolish to build a team around a WR. It would be the dumbest thing imaginable. That got the Raiders head shed fired mid-season this year. It would be stupid for the Vikings to do the same. I'm not saying don't sign JJ, but if they can't come to an agreement and there's a healthy haul of an offer from someone else (in the AFC preferably), it would be hard not to move him.
Interesting Athletic article and data about how JJ being in the lineup effects the running game -Vikings see significantly more two high safety looks than any other team.

https://theathletic.com/5090593/202...on-return-vikings/?source=user_shared_articleHow Justin Jefferson’s looming return will transform the Vikings offense

JJ was offensive MVP, even though Mahomes was MVP last year - no elite receiver, probably means more to his team than JJ. I don’t put Davante Adams in that category, while AJ Brown, whom I put out in JJ’s class, isn’t as vital to Philly because of Hurts.

JJ is also only 24 years old, so likely younger than comparable receivers at his level.
I hope Hall gets some run before the end of the season. I'm curious to see what he can do. It's pretty unlikely that he can step in and lead the franchise, but it wouldn't be the most outrageous thing in the world.

Last edited:

No discount required, he’s damaged good bro.
No one, including us, is paying $40M/per year for a 35 year old QB coming off an Achilles injury
He's a guy that never runs, having the best year of his career statistically, in a league now paying $50M per year to the top QB's. He will get that payday and there is no doubt in my mind. If the Vikes could sign him to a 3/$105M deal, that would be a steal as far as today's market goes IMO.

I suppose it's possible that Dobbs can go from a career practice squad guy to suddenly being the #1 QB for a contending team.

It's also possible that what he's doing is simply not sustainable. Ogee has seen him play more than I have, and he has doubts. well, I have doubts, too.

It's a fun story - just like Case Keenum was a fun story in 2017. until it wasn't fun anymore. since that season, Keenum has started 26 games with a record of 9-17. He has 32 TD's & 21 INT's. In 2017, Keenum had a QBR of 72.8 - since then, his highest season QBR is 45.6 in 2019.

that does not mean that Dobbs will have the same career trajectory. but if he succeeds, he will be beating the odds big-time.

Michael Lombardi on the GM Shuffle (arguably my favorite podcast for NFL) I guess talked a little bit today about Quarterback "likability" and how important it is. Looked at the horrendously ugly Patriots-Giants game yesterday. Tommy DeVito is a really likable guy, the players want to play for him. He's not an NFL caliber QB, but the guys like him. Mac Jones hasn't been a likable guy in New England; he's aloof, not super accountable, just not likable.

Dobbs is a very likable guy, the players play hard around him and it hides a lot of his deficiencies, and that explains some of his recent success.

Interesting Athletic article and data about how JJ being in the lineup effects the running game -Vikings see significantly more two high safety looks than any other team.

https://theathletic.com/5090593/202...on-return-vikings/?source=user_shared_articleHow Justin Jefferson’s looming return will transform the Vikings offense

JJ was offensive MVP, even though Mahomes was MVP last year - no elite receiver, probably means more to his team than JJ. I don’t put Davante Adams in that category, while AJ Brown, whom I put out in JJ’s class, isn’t as vital to Philly because of Hurts.

JJ is also only 24 years old, so likely younger than comparable receivers at his level.

In all fairness, a lot of the time JJ has been out, Dobbs has been the QB, and Dobbs is just plain not very effective at pushing the ball down the field.

I'd bet the Under tonight in this game, I wouldn't touch it from a Bears-Vikes perspective, seeing anywhere from Vikings -2.5 to -3.5; no clue how many times Dobbs will turn it over and nobody ever knows how Fields is going to play. Fields loves to fumble and throw INTs, but his running will be tough on the Vikes.

He's a guy that never runs, having the best year of his career statistically, in a league now paying $50M per year to the top QB's. He will get that payday and there is no doubt in my mind. If the Vikes could sign him to a 3/$105M deal, that would be a steal as far as today's market goes IMO.
I think you need a good meal Slim; sounds like you’re suffering from hypoglycemia.

In all fairness, a lot of the time JJ has been out, Dobbs has been the QB, and Dobbs is just plain not very effective at pushing the ball down the field.

Did you thread the article?

JJ caused the two high commitment from teams to stop JJ from thrashing those non-two high looks

Thst resulted in major improvement in our running stats and likely will again, the author’s premise.

I understand what you’re saying about pushing the ball downfield, however how much if JJs damage is done with YAC? Basically, does he really need to catch a plethora of balks 15/20+ yards (and was he before?) to still force the two high coverage and create more e running lane/space for our running game to improve?

Will be interesting to compare running stats after JJ gets back?

I'd bet the Under tonight in this game, I wouldn't touch it from a Bears-Vikes perspective, seeing anywhere from Vikings -2.5 to -3.5; no clue how many times Dobbs will turn it over and nobody ever knows how Fields is going to play. Fields loves to fumble and throw INTs, but his running will be tough on the Vikes.

Hunter needs to be resigned. He’s been the Vikings best player and second place is not really close.

Seeing what Hall could do this season would've been best for our preparations next year for QB. I still think we sign Cousins to a 3/$120M contract when all is said and done. There will be NO major discount offered by Kirk.

What would you deem an acceptable return for JJ?
No one is going to give a 35 year old QB coming off a major injury 3/$120. If that's his demand he can pound sand.

Disagree with Aikman. That interception was on Dobbs

I don’t understand the game plan at all. Get Dobbs outside the pocket. Use his strength.

I would consider Mullens or Hall in the 2nd half. This is now 8 full quarters of mostly inept offense since half time of the Saints game.

2 more turnovers in 1st half. Thank God defense has figured out Bears after 1st drive. Can't win this way. Getting JJ back after bye will help as well. Just don't think Dobbs is answer. Like to see Hall some more.

This is certainly interesting football. QB is running for his life and the head coach doesn’t want to run the ball. Where is fleck when you need him.

2 more turnovers in 1st half. Thank God defense has figured out Bears after 1st drive. Can't win this way. Getting JJ back after bye will help as well. Just don't think Dobbs is answer. Like to see Hall some more.
Not tonight. He's the emergency QB only.

This is certainly interesting football. QB is running for his life and the head coach doesn’t want to run the ball. Where is fleck when you need him.
By being a combo of both Tanner Morgan should be a spectacular OC.

Getting destroyed up front.

Our tackles are over rated if you ask me.

Where is the Men in black with their flashing memory erasing thing. Could really come in handy after this half of football.

Top Bottom