All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Beat Bears and right back to 2 down with 2 to play. And Lions have to play Denver too.

Nonsense that Division race is over. Silly

About like how Vikings were out because they started 1-4. Sell it all! Tank! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Beat Bears and right back to 2 down with 2 to play. And Lions have to go to Denver too.

About like how Vikings were out because they started 1-4. Sell it all! Tank! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
No Denver has to go to Detroit. Detroit host Denver not go to Denver.

Thanks, fixed.

Doesn’t detract from the point in the slightest. Denver that beat us, also beats yesterday’s Lions.

Think Saints can too. Let’s see

Beat Bears and right back to 2 down with 2 to play. And Lions have to go to Denver too.

It's not over, but it's still a long shot at best, IMO.

2 down with 2 play is only relevant if the Vikings don't lose more games than the Lions until those last 3 weeks. I think it's a tough ask to run the table up to that point.

While Detroit has to play Denver, Minnesota has to go to Las Vegas and Cincinnati. All 3 have the same amount of Ws. In the Purples' favor is they may have more fans on the Strip than the Raiders and Burrow is done so that game will be a battle of backups.

More significantly is Detroit has to go to Dallas on the 2nd to last week of the season. For the Vikings sake if the North is still attainable, I hope the Cowboys have something to play for to improve their Playoff Seed.

The Lions struggled with both the Bears and Packers at Home. So could the Vikings, especially if GB still has playoff hopes.

Cousins is the Walmart brand Tom Brady. Goff is the Dollar Store brand Kirk Cousins. If only the Bears had beared down they would be in full Lioning mode.
Perfect QB analogy and I have full confidence the Cowardly have 3 Ls left- see my next post for my rationale.

Beat Bears and right back to 2 down with 2 to play. And Lions have to play Denver too.

You need to consult a schedule bro (especially when you continually mock others), as the Cowardlys gave 6 tilts left.

It's not over, but it's still a long shot at best, IMO.
Yes but stranger things have happened.
2 down with 2 play is only relevant if the Vikings don't lose more games than the Lions until those last 3 weeks. I think it's a tough ask to run the table up to that point.

While Detroit has to play Denver, Minnesota has to go to Las Vegas and Cincinnati. All 3 have the same amount of Ws. In the Purples' favor is they may have more fans on the Strip than the Raiders and Burrow is done so that game will be a battle of backups.

More significantly is Detroit has to go to Dallas on the 2nd to last week of the season. For the Vikings sake if the North is still attainable, I hope the Cowboys have something to play for to improve their Playoff Seed.
I see three Ls for the Cowardlys,
One Vikes
One either Saints or Broncos
Definitely The Boys - playoffs futility is what that have to play for and it’s not the last game of the season.

Furthermore, Dan Campbell is probably hood for another bonehead 4 down call - fake punt on your 22 with 4 and 5 is one of the dumbest calls ever in a game that was still within two scores - puts your D in a horrible 🕳️ . Hey look at me me I’m crazy 🤪 .

Goff is a knock off Cousins @howeda7 .

They have committed 8/9 Turnovers in the last three games.

Theirs has been a sieve against three current non playoff teams in the last 3 -

Chargers -38
🐻 - 26
Pack - 29

I actually think the Vikes and Lions end up with the same record.
The Lions struggled with both the Bears and Packers at Home. So could the Vikings, especially if GB still has playoff hopes.
If Jordan Love channel Brett Rodgers and they win out, so be it. Love will be scary if he keeps progressing, but the Packers are more likely to lose a couple along the war than the aforementioned winning out.

I think Dobbs is a great story and the football gods take pity on the Purple and we gain an unlikely playoff spot and KOC becomes legendary -so muck so, that the bake Kevin becomes the most popular boys first name and Spaulding remakes his pooch to KOC from PJF

I hate to say it, but I gotta say it. I don't know that I'm 100% convinced that Dobbs gives the Vikings the best chance to win for the remainder of the season. I know he'll continue to get the starts barring a pretty catastrophic outing but I don't know that I'm convinced. It's impossible not to like the guy and root for him to succeed, so I hope I'm wrong.

At the very least, from what we've seen, I wouldn't be overly worried if something happened and they had to go with Mullens or Hall at some point. Both seem capable, albeit the sample size for Hall was pretty small.

I hate to say it, but I gotta say it. I don't know that I'm 100% convinced that Dobbs gives the Vikings the best chance to win for the remainder of the season. I know he'll continue to get the starts barring a pretty catastrophic outing but I don't know that I'm convinced. It's impossible not to like the guy and root for him to succeed, so I hope I'm wrong.

At the very least, from what we've seen, I wouldn't be overly worried if something happened and they had to go with Mullens or Hall at some point. Both seem capable, albeit the sample size for Hall was pretty small.
I am really rooting for him but I have the same suspicions. Notice we never go long now. I think his accuracy past 10 yards might be not great. Fantastic story though and it would be great to see it continue.

Can Mullins use his 🛞 wheels like Dobbs?

I love what that beings and thst play on 4th against the Saints was amazing

Or the play in Denver where he ran to the sideline, stopped, shrugged the guy off, and throws a TD.

I was like GD this is what it feels like to have Mahomes!

Or the play in Denver where he ran to the sideline, stopped, shrugged the guy off, and throws a TD.

I was like GD this is what it feels like to have Mahomes!
Interesting data I just saw -

Among 40 qualified quarterbacks this season — including Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson — Dobbs ranks first in scrambling EPA, according to TruMedia. His EPA per dropback on scrambles is eight times more valuable than Mahomes’ EPA per dropback on pass plays. He has rushed for more yards over expected on scrambles this season (plus 139) than any other quarterback in the NFL, according to Next Gen Stats.

Dobbs also currently ranks among the top 2 quarterbacks in scramble runs (30), rushing yards (317), touchdowns (4), rushing yards over expected (+139), and first downs over expected (+8) this season.

Among 40 qualified quarterbacks this season — including Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson — Dobbs ranks first in scrambling EPA, according to TruMedia. His EPA per dropback on scrambles is eight times more valuable than Mahomes’ EPA per dropback on pass plays. He has rushed for more yards over expected on scrambles this season (plus 139) than any other quarterback in the NFL, according to Next Gen Stats.

Dobbs also currently ranks among the top 2 quarterbacks in scramble runs (30), rushing yards (317), touchdowns (4), rushing yards over expected (+139), and first downs over expected (+8) this season.
Gnawing feeling that he's not the answer. There's a reason he can't get or hold a starting job all these years. Ball security is an issue in my eyes.

Gnawing feeling that he's not the answer. There's a reason he can't get or hold a starting job all these years. Ball security is an issue in my eyes.
The article I quoted noted that and he does led QBs in fumbles, this includes center-QB exchanges.
my hope is that gets cleaned up moving forward.

Not saying he’s the answer long-term, but to be where we are at this point and having this type of conversation is golden.

Whatever happens, Dobbs will surely get a multi-year backup QB gig in the offseason worth a few million per year.

He's made himself some dough.

Those stats are what one would expect to see from a Quarterback who has a really, really hard time staying in the pocket, really doesn't want to stay in the pocket past one read.

I don't want to minimize anything Dobbs has done, he's breathed some playoff life into the Vikings season and given the Vikings some ultra-exciting moments already. Honestly, maybe after watching him start 8-9 games in Arizona and a few in MN, I probably just have some Dobbs fatigue. He plays a very chaotic style of play, nothing seems very natural or "easy", even a lot of his completions are behind the receiver, high, low, just off the mark.

Keep riding that horse until it bucks you and we should all enjoy the ride as much as possible, but I just can't bring myself to believe it's sustainable. Tim Tebow won like 6 or 7 consecutive games one year for the Broncos, and a playoff game.

Potential for chalk history this evening.

Potential for chalk history this evening.

Only 3. Wow, seems like the Fields are ripe for the picking

I would have really like to see what they have in Hall.

I think Dobbs can be good in the right system. If the Vikings go with Dobbs or a guy like him in the future, I think it’s best to trade JJ. Dobbs isn’t Lamar Jackson but you can go with a similar set up as the Ravens and be successful.

I think Dobbs can be good in the right system. If the Vikings go with Dobbs or a guy like him in the future, I think it’s best to trade JJ. Dobbs isn’t Lamar Jackson but you can go with a similar set up as the Ravens and be successful.
I'm curious why you think that? Keeping Dobbs, at the right price, makes it much easier to keep JJ and Hunter.

The Ravens WR aren't good, but I don't think that's because they haven't emphasized it in FA and the draft. They just haven't worked out that great. Bateman was a 1st round pick IIRC and they've signed various FA's with middling success.

I would have really like to see what they have in Hall.

I would have no issue with Dobbs being the Vikings backup moving forward. Dobbs should in no way, shape or form be the planned/projected Vikings starting QB when the 2024 season starts. Absolutely not.

I'm curious why you think that? Keeping Dobbs, at the right price, makes it much easier to keep JJ and Hunter.

The Ravens WR aren't good, but I don't think that's because they haven't emphasized it in FA and the draft. They just haven't worked out that great. Bateman was a 1st round pick IIRC and they've signed various FA's with middling success.
I just don’t think top WRs are as valuable with a guy like Dobbs who isn’t extremely accurate. I’m not saying Jefferson wouldn’t help the team. But his numbers certainly would go down and with the contract he’d want, I’m not sure it’s worth it.

I’d prefer they try to bring Cousins back for one more year while drafting a QB.

I just don’t think top WRs are as valuable with a guy like Dobbs who isn’t extremely accurate. I’m not saying Jefferson wouldn’t help the team. But his numbers certainly would go down and with the contract he’d want, I’m not sure it’s worth it.

I’d prefer they try to bring Cousins back for one more year while drafting a QB.
The captain may not have a plethora of suitors either

If Dobbs is back, it is either in competition with Hall/a rookie or as the back-up IMO. Either way, I don't trade JJ.

It's foolish to build a team around a WR. It would be the dumbest thing imaginable. That got the Raiders head shed fired mid-season this year. It would be stupid for the Vikings to do the same. I'm not saying don't sign JJ, but if they can't come to an agreement and there's a healthy haul of an offer from someone else (in the AFC preferably), it would be hard not to move him.

I hope Hall gets some run before the end of the season. I'm curious to see what he can do. It's pretty unlikely that he can step in and lead the franchise, but it wouldn't be the most outrageous thing in the world.

It's foolish to build a team around a WR. It would be the dumbest thing imaginable. That got the Raiders head shed fired mid-season this year. It would be stupid for the Vikings to do the same. I'm not saying don't sign JJ, but if they can't come to an agreement and there's a healthy haul of an offer from someone else (in the AFC preferably), it would be hard not to move him.

I hope Hall gets some run before the end of the season. I'm curious to see what he can do. It's pretty unlikely that he can step in and lead the franchise, but it wouldn't be the most outrageous thing in the world.
Seeing what Hall could do this season would've been best for our preparations next year for QB. I still think we sign Cousins to a 3/$120M contract when all is said and done. There will be NO major discount offered by Kirk.

What would you deem an acceptable return for JJ?

Seeing what Hall could do this season would've been best for our preparations next year for QB. I still think we sign Cousins to a 3/$120M contract when all is said and done. There will be NO major discount offered by Kirk.
No discount required, he’s damaged good bro.
No one, including us, is paying $40M/per year for a 35 year old QB coming off an Achilles injury
What would you deem an acceptable return for JJ?

Last edited:

I suppose it's possible that Dobbs can go from a career practice squad guy to suddenly being the #1 QB for a contending team.

It's also possible that what he's doing is simply not sustainable. Ogee has seen him play more than I have, and he has doubts. well, I have doubts, too.

It's a fun story - just like Case Keenum was a fun story in 2017. until it wasn't fun anymore. since that season, Keenum has started 26 games with a record of 9-17. He has 32 TD's & 21 INT's. In 2017, Keenum had a QBR of 72.8 - since then, his highest season QBR is 45.6 in 2019.

that does not mean that Dobbs will have the same career trajectory. but if he succeeds, he will be beating the odds big-time.

Top Bottom