All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Why can't we have nice things?

The book is out on Dobbs now. Pressure him and he won't beat you. KOC needs to adjust. He didn't tonight.

The book is out on Dobbs now. Pressure him and he won't beat you. KOC needs to adjust. He didn't tonight.
I'm hoping teams will be less likely to bring as much pressure when JJ is healthy. But yeah, that looks like the play.

Dobbs could have easily been picked 4 times tonight along with his fumble.

He's a damn good backup. Nothing more. He's wild and erratic which can lead to huge plays or turnovers.

Also, our offensive line couldn't pass block for schit tonight.

Mattison had some nice runs. Ran for 81.

When it's obvious he's in a rut not getting it done, agree they should switch it up.

I'm hoping teams will be less likely to bring as much pressure when JJ is healthy. But yeah, that looks like the play.
Unless it's 3rd and long, I don't understand having the RB stay in to help block against a blitz. Just have the RB slip out right away (preferable Chandler). He's going to be open. Worse case is one of the blitzers has him in coverage so you just take one of them out of the picture.

Disappointing KOC went all turtle-mode like PJ. I suppose the worry is the same - paranoid of your QB committing turnovers. At which point I'll say, if he's the best you got, you're just going to have to let him do his thing and hope for the best. Live and die with the players you have; playing scared helps no one.

Going all tin-foil hat, do you suppose the directive on the last drive defensively was from KOC? It seems hard to believe that Flores completely changes the scheme on that one drive.

One last gripe, then I'm done - Dear Mekhi Blackmon, with the recent rule change of no "force out" rule on catches, if you are near a sideline of any kind and the ball is thrown that high, just stay on the ground and get under the defender to push him out while he's in the air. Thanks.

The offensive line was horrible last night. If Kirk would have played he would have been sacked about 10 times. Dobbs got the crap beat out of him.

Disappointing KOC went all turtle-mode like PJ. I suppose the worry is the same - paranoid of your QB committing turnovers. At which point I'll say, if he's the best you got, you're just going to have to let him do his thing and hope for the best. Live and die with the players you have; playing scared helps no one.

Going all tin-foil hat, do you suppose the directive on the last drive defensively was from KOC? It seems hard to believe that Flores completely changes the scheme on that one drive.

One last gripe, then I'm done - Dear Mekhi Blackmon, with the recent rule change of no "force out" rule on catches, if you are near a sideline of any kind and the ball is thrown that high, just stay on the ground and get under the defender to push him out while he's in the air. Thanks.
Part of the "turtle mode" is that Denver is dead last in the NFL in Rushing Yards Allowed. The Vikings rushed for 175 yds, which is even more than the Broncos permit per game (160).

Unfortunately, they did stuff the Vikings before they got the last FG. Bummer.

Wild Card or Bust now, being 3 back of the Lions in the L column.

Dobbs could have easily been picked 4 times tonight along with his fumble.

He's a damn good backup. Nothing more. He's wild and erratic which can lead to huge plays or turnovers.

Dobbs is who he is at this point. What they've managed to do with him to this point has been pretty impressive but he's a QB with limitations. He doesn't push the ball down the field, and that makes it easier for the defense.

Despite the numbers that might say otherwise, he's also not a particularly accurate passer; watching last week's game a few days later (because I was hunting), even a lot of his completions were behind receivers, high, low, etc. A few of the passes to Hock last night that were contested and broken up were either late or behind him.

They'll likely make the playoffs, regardless of who is playing QB, but that will be about it. And honestly, for what was expected this year and what's happened, that's a decent accomplishment.

Part of the "turtle mode" is that Denver is dead last in the NFL in Rushing Yards Allowed. The Vikings rushed for 175 yds, which is even more than the Broncos permit per game (160).

Unfortunately, they did stuff the Vikings before they got the last FG. Bummer.

Wild Card or Bust now, being 3 back of the Lions in the L column.
Mattison running inside the red zone has been beyond brutal though. He loses yards on more than half the plays. There's a reason he has zero rushing TDs. Once they were inside the 20, Chandler should be in and they should have thrown it at least twice.

Mattison running inside the red zone has been beyond brutal though. He loses yards on more than half the plays. There's a reason he has zero TDs. Once they were inside the 20, Chandler should be in and they should have thrown it at least twice.
The resistible force met with an immoveable object.

I'm really surprised how little they tried to move the pocket to neutralize the blitzing and get Dobbs out in the open more.

Kind of nuts that they missed that call. They should have been aware he just came back from suspension for dirty hits like that.
I don't understand why the booth couldn't stop the action and review that.

The refs should have also reviewed the play that Wilson's knee hit the ground, as he was throwing the ball away. Was there was a reason, why they could not review that play?
The announcers said that it did not matter, because it only would have been an 11 yard difference, between the sack and the incompletion. I thought that was a ridiculous thing to say.
O'Connell made a mistake, not challenging that play. It was pretty obvious what happened.

Manning Brothers actually have that POS Vick on their broadcast. That MFer should be torched.

The refs should have also reviewed the play that Wilson's knee hit the ground, as he was throwing the ball away. Was there was a reason, why they could not review that play?
The announcers said that it did not matter, because it only would have been an 11 yard difference, between the sack and the incompletion. I thought that was a ridiculous thing to say.
O'Connell made a mistake, not challenging that play. It was pretty obvious what happened.
I can understand KOC wanting to keep the challenge for later use that early. Only get 2 for the game, plus an extra if both successful. Still was a change of possession no matter what.

Having said that, I would have thrown the red flag. Would have gotten 11 yds of field position and taken the risk out of a 5 yd penalty resulting in a 1sr down.

That drive eventually stalled at the 10 then were pushed back past the 20 for a FG. Might have made the difference for TD.

Kind of nuts that they missed that call. They should have been aware he just came back from suspension for dirty hits like that.
Apparently the replay couldn’t do anything since a penalty wasn’t called. So it’s different than in college. If it was called a penalty, they could have looked to see if it deserved an ejection.

Apparently the replay couldn’t do anything since a penalty wasn’t called. So it’s different than in college. If it was called a penalty, they could have looked to see if it deserved an ejection.
I was thinking more along the lines of watching him carefully since he just returned from suspension. Especially on the first drive of the game.

The booth should absolutely have the ability to stop the game themselves independent of a penalty, for that reason.

Guarantee the Bronco's stadium crew that does replays on the big board were not showing that angle. Easy ejection.

Should be suspended rest of the season if he does it again.

I can understand KOC wanting to keep the challenge for later use that early. Only get 2 for the game, plus an extra if both successful. Still was a change of possession no matter what.

Having said that, I would have thrown the red flag. Would have gotten 11 yds of field position and taken the risk out of a 5 yd penalty resulting in a 1sr down.

That drive eventually stalled at the 10 then were pushed back past the 20 for a FG. Might have made the difference for TD.

Not to mention, the young pass-rusher Pat Jones II got denied a sack in the books, along with the Vikings defense getting cheated out of a sack, from a statistical standpoint. Small potatoes, surely, but I'd be pissed if I were Jones, that would have been his first sack of the year.

Top Bottom