All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Nope. I think JJ signed during the offseason.

I know many would lose their minds but they should trade Jefferson. It's hard to imagine any WR worth the money they are going to commit to Jefferson.

It wouldn't surprise me if, in just a few years, we see happen to the WR position what has happened to the RB position; get a good one in the draft, ride him until you have to pay him, and then wash, rinse, repeat.

$20M+ per year for a position so dependent on having a good QB is a tough pill to swallow.

I know many would lose their minds but they should trade Jefferson. It's hard to imagine any WR worth the money they are going to commit to Jefferson.

It wouldn't surprise me if, in just a few years, we see happen to the WR position what has happened to the RB position; get a good one in the draft, ride him until you have to pay him, and then wash, rinse, repeat.

$20M+ per year for a position so dependent on having a good QB is a tough pill to swallow.
especially with how well Addison is playing. And giving Hok all that money was ridiculous and makes a JJ trade even better

Where Jefferson will earn his money is with a QB that isn't as sharp of a passer as Cousins typically is. Some of Caleb Williams' inaccuracy would be made up by Jefferson's skills, for example.

I don't know. Many people seem to think Jefferson probably won't sign for more than 3 years beyond his rookie contract. If you add 3 years at something like $90-95M and backload it for salary cap hit, it might make sense. The contracts always seem high early on but by the end aren't as bad. Cousins is the 15th highest paid QB this year I believe.

I don't know. Many people seem to think Jefferson probably won't sign for more than 3 years beyond his rookie contract. If you add 3 years at something like $90-95M and backload it for salary cap hit, it might make sense. The contracts always seem high early on but by the end aren't as bad. Cousins is the 15th highest paid QB this year I believe.
Unlike hockey, the NFL salary cap will only keep going up for the foreseeable future.

Where Jefferson will earn his money is with a QB that isn't as sharp of a passer as Cousins typically is. Some of Caleb Williams' inaccuracy would be made up by Jefferson's skills, for example.

It hasn't worked out that well for Davante Adams in Las Vegas, having a QB that isn't as sharp as Cousins.

It hasn't worked out that well for Davante Adams in Las Vegas, having a QB that isn't as sharp as Cousins.
Not that well? In Year 1 he had 100 catches, for 1,500,l yards, and 14 touchdowns. He led all WRs in TDs.

Year 2 has been worse. Except he's still on pace for around 1,100 yards 6-7 TDs, and he's a year older in his 30's.

He's doing very well.

Not that well? In Year 1 he had 100 catches, for 1,500,l yards, and 14 touchdowns. He led all WRs in TDs.

Year 2 has been worse. Except he's still on pace for around 1,100 yards 6-7 TDs, and he's a year older in his 30's.

He's doing very well.

Well, you hit the nail rather precisely on the head, inadvertently perhaps.

"HE'S" doing very well. For his second year in a row, Adams will be on a team that's home for the playoffs and drafting in the top 10. Guessing that's not the goal to start the season

Well, you hit the nail rather precisely on the head, inadvertently perhaps.

"HE'S" doing very well. For his second year in a row, Adams will be on a team that's home for the playoffs and drafting in the top 10. Guessing that's not the goal to start the season
That's true.

I find this fascinating about Jordan Love and Jaren Hall.

Both played college football in the state of Utah AND were born in 1998. Hall is actually 6 months Older, as he is making his Rookie start on Sunday for the Vikings while Love is in his 4TH Season with the Packers.

I find this fascinating about Jordan Love and Jaren Hall.

Both played college football in the state of Utah AND were born in 1998. Hall is actually 6 months Older, as he is making his Rookie start on Sunday for the Vikings while Love is in his 4TH Season with the Packers.

I think that's giving the Raiders/Davis way too much credit for their strategery.
On the Tony Kornheiser podcast today a guest shared this story about the late night axe falling.

On Tuesday/Halloween, Josh McDaniels came in dressed up as Mark Davis. The Owner appeared to take it in stride, and played along.

For dinner Davis brought in Chinese food. Josh's fortune cookie said, "You're Fired!", take that hotshot.

I so want it to be true, not urban legend.

On the Tony Kornheiser podcast today a guest shared this story about the late night axe falling.

On Tuesday/Halloween, Josh McDaniels came in dressed up as Mark Davis. The Owner appeared to take it in stride, and played along.

For dinner Davis brought in Chinese food. Josh's fortune cookie said, "You're Fired!", take that hotshot.

I so want it to be true, not urban legend.

McDaniels appears to be yet another coach that is fantastic, brilliant as a Coordinator (OC or DC) that just isn't set out to be a HC. And yet, when it comes to the outrage and hand-wringing about some people not getting HC jobs or losing HC jobs, we seem to forget this really fast. People lose their minds about coaches like Flores and Bienemy, getting hosed, not getting their shot, life is unfair, et al

The reality is, there's a Grand Canyon-esque difference between the roles and qualities of an OC/DC and that of an NFL Head Coach. The other reality is that for every one of these NFL coaches, the entire league knows infinitely more about them as coaches and as people than anyone in the media or any of us fans.

In McDaniels' case, it sounds like Davis had made up his mind before the search even started. At least he's got the stones to admit that now. Who knows if it will change how he approaches this next search, I sure hope so.

Here's hoping Antonio Pierce takes the interim job and runs crushes it and gets the permanent gig. He definitely sounds like a charismatic leader. My bet is the Raiders beat the Giants this weekend to get him his first NFL win.

The game is won at the lines and in the minds of exceptional QBs. I would hate to see them lose Jefferson but you are probably right. Brady and Rodgers both had years where they won big with some fairly pedestrian WRs.

The game is won at the lines and in the minds of exceptional QBs. I would hate to see them lose Jefferson but you are probably right. Brady and Rodgers both had years where they won big with some fairly pedestrian WRs.
I think if you have a talent like Jefferson, you do everything you can to find the guy at QB. JJ is 24, Adams is 30. Tyreke changed Miami without a great QB, especially when he signed. AJ Brown helped transform Hurts into an MVP candidate.

If we don't find the right QB, we're going to stink. I think there is considerable more room for error when you have a dynamic WR.

IMO, Davante Adams was the one thing they got right.

@Ope3 I assume it's because Hall is LDS, therefore they do that thing where they take 2-3 years off of college to go do a mission somewhere else in the world, and the NCAA allows that to not count against their eligibility clock. So they come back 2-3 years older but still with I think 4 years to play.

Nice little built in advantage for BYU, with older players.

Last edited:

With Hall getting smashed out of the game makes me even more bitter than SF could draft some friggen guy in the 7th round and have high level of success. All I wanted to see was our guy have a good game, except we can’t ever have it go well.

With Hall getting smashed out of the game makes me even more bitter than SF could draft some friggen guy in the 7th round and have high level of success. All I wanted to see was our guy have a good game, except we can’t ever have it go well.
Hall rules out with concussion- posted now, per The Athletic.

Top Bottom