All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

did a little research.

Dobbs played college ball at Tennessee. drafted 4th round by the Steelers in 2017.

this is his 7th year in the NFL - but in his first 6 seasons, he appeared in a total of 8 games where he attempted a total of 85 passes with 50 completions for 2 TD.

appeared in 5 games for Steelers in 2018; 1 game for Steelers in 2020; 2 gms for Titans in 2022, and now 8 games this year for Cardinals. saw no game action in 2017, 2019 or 2021.

in other words, Vikes backup Nick Mullens (on IR for another wk) has much more NFL game experience in fewer seasons.

I'm not doing cartwheels.

On ESPN, they stated KOC said this afternoon that Hall is starting on Sunday. They also Dobbs is Uber smart and was traded to The Cards this summer and was ably to pick up their offense in a couple of weeks.
Dobbs was an aerospace engineering major in college.

Mike Tannebaum, former Jets GM, is advocating for signing Cousins to a reasonable two year extension now,

They also said the Kitties 🐈‍⬛ blew it by not getting either Young or Sweat from the Commanders to give Hutchinson some help.

Last edited:

I’m reminded again why I don’t watch ESPN. Orlovsky, who I normally like, went on a rant about this move not helping their future at QB and doesn’t help them keep Jefferson long term. Of course it doesn’t. What move can you make at the deadline that would solve those things? This was about this year and this year only.

So weird.

did a little research.

Dobbs played college ball at Tennessee. drafted 4th round by the Steelers in 2017.

this is his 7th year in the NFL - but in his first 6 seasons, he appeared in a total of 8 games where he attempted a total of 85 passes with 50 completions for 2 TD.

appeared in 5 games for Steelers in 2018; 1 game for Steelers in 2020; 2 gms for Titans in 2022, and now 8 games this year for Cardinals. saw no game action in 2017, 2019 or 2021.

in other words, Vikes backup Nick Mullens (on IR for another wk) has much more NFL game experience in fewer seasons.

I don't think anyone is expected to do cartwheels over Josh Dobbs, but there wasn't anything close to a cartwheel-worthy option out there. I think people are relatively happy because we got a significant upgrade over Jaron Hall for next to nothing.

is he a "significant upgrade over Hall?" a career 3rd-string QB who wound up starting some games this season due to injury.

shoot, I would rather roll the dice on Hall, Mullens and Mannion. Mullens is younger than Dobbs with more game experience.

did a little research.

Nick Mullens has 24 career starts. Case Keenum had 24 career starts when he came to the Vikings.

is he a "significant upgrade over Hall?" a career 3rd-string QB who wound up starting some games this season due to injury.

shoot, I would rather roll the dice on Hall, Mullens and Mannion. Mullens is younger than Dobbs with more game experience.
Mannion has zero upside. All of the others have some degree of unknown.

I like it. He's been decent this season and will have a lot more weapons to work with in MN.

Anyone that approves of this move hasn't been watching the Cardinals this season. Dobbs looked good in the first month of the season when nobody had recent tape on him and nobody was taking the Cardinals seriously. In the last month, he's been an unmitigated dumpster fire, completely overwhelmed.

This is just a terrible, terrible move, unless he's backing up Nick Mullens the rest of the season.

What you will hear in the coming day or two justifying this move is how smart Dobbs is and how good a guy he is and how good of a locker room guy he is; all true, but little to none of that means anything in regards to him being able to win games for the Vikings.

Cardinals fans are rejoicing today, I can assure you of that. Looking forward to seeing what rookie Clayton Tune can do next Sunday until Murray returns full time.

Hall will get his shot - he's starting Sunday.

Mixed signals out of former Northwest Airlines world headquarters. Dobbs certainly isn't a guy that's going to salvage the season. He adds depth. He isn't going to QB this team to the playoffs.

But Hunter and other potential free agents are still here. There was an opportunity to acquire draft capital and it didn't happen.

With the improved defense, the Vikings are perhaps not that far away from being real contenders. If Kirk comes back on a team friendly deal (he's chewing up cap space anyway), Flores sticks around gets the defense humming, there's potential. There are certainly weapons on offense.

I would have liked to seen an upgrade at RB. Did Dalvin stick in NYJ?

I’m reminded again why I don’t watch ESPN. Orlovsky, who I normally like, went on a rant about this move not helping their future at QB and doesn’t help them keep Jefferson long term. Of course it doesn’t. What move can you make at the deadline that would solve those things? This was about this year and this year only.

So weird.

Orlovsky is arguably the single most idiotic person on national television talking about NFL football, and it's fitting he's doing his good work for the "worldwide leader".

This, THIS and THIS, SON. You 100% nailed it.

Once Cleveland gets traded.
This was 3 weeks ago in regards to MplsGopher asking "when Risner would be starting".

Timeline was moved up due to injury, but otherwise nailed the "traded" aspect. I was just repeating what Doogie was hinting at in a SkorNorth podcast, which seemed plausible to me.

Kudos to Wolfson.

This, THIS and THIS, SON. You 100% nailed it.

I figured you might have an opinion on Dobbs.

I see this as the Vikes just wanting a body as insurance against Mullens getting hurt again. (i.e. any warm breathing mammal instead of Mannion)

If Hall does reasonably well against Atlanta, I think he starts the rest of the season and Dobbs is the backup. Hall would really have to stink up the joint in order for Dobbs to get a start.

at least the games will be interesting to watch. and the post-game call-in shows should be .......... very interesting.

Anyone that approves of this move hasn't been watching the Cardinals this season. Dobbs looked good in the first month of the season when nobody had recent tape on him and nobody was taking the Cardinals seriously. In the last month, he's been an unmitigated dumpster fire, completely overwhelmed.

This is just a terrible, terrible move, unless he's backing up Nick Mullens the rest of the season.

What you will hear in the coming day or two justifying this move is how smart Dobbs is and how good a guy he is and how good of a locker room guy he is; all true, but little to none of that means anything in regards to him being able to win games for the Vikings.

Cardinals fans are rejoicing today, I can assure you of that. Looking forward to seeing what rookie Clayton Tune can do next Sunday until Murray returns full time.

Cardinals fans are rejoicing? He was never a long term option there. Wouldn't there be more rejoicing if he stayed and helped them get the #1 pick if he was that bad?

Dobbs drop off also coincides with Conners injury. With AZ's limited weapons to begin with, that didn't help. He was better against Baltimore last week.

I'm also not sure how this is a terrible move when the Vikings gave up virtually nothing to get him. They added depth and a potential starter for this season if Hall is really bad and Mullens can't return. Dobbs isn't a long term solution here either.

If there was a starting caliber QB worthwhile on the market, the Jets would have made that move 7 weeks ago.

I figured you might have an opinion on Dobbs.

I see this as the Vikes just wanting a body as insurance against Mullens getting hurt again. (i.e. any warm breathing mammal instead of Mannion)

If Hall does reasonably well against Atlanta, I think he starts the rest of the season and Dobbs is the backup. Hall would really have to stink up the joint in order for Dobbs to get a start.

at least the games will be interesting to watch. and the post-game call-in shows should be .......... very interesting.
They needed another QB anyway and decided on Dobbs - a move which doesn’t hurt their future prospects and likely isn’t the end of the world either.

There was an article in The Athletic, which said, they like Hall’s development thus far and feel he has an opportunity to be an NFL QB, non backup.
Of course, what else would they be saying? Hoping this is more along the lines of being substance, instead of sizzle.

Hall gets his chance to prove it Sunday.

Last edited:

Hall will get his shot - he's starting Sunday.

Mixed signals out of former Northwest Airlines world headquarters. Dobbs certainly isn't a guy that's going to salvage the season. He adds depth. He isn't going to QB this team to the playoffs.

But Hunter and other potential free agents are still here. There was an opportunity to acquire draft capital and it didn't happen.

With the improved defense, the Vikings are perhaps not that far away from being real contenders. If Kirk comes back on a team friendly deal (he's chewing up cap space anyway), Flores sticks around gets the defense humming, there's potential. There are certainly weapons on offense.

I would have liked to seen an upgrade at RB. Did Dalvin stick in NYJ?
Last report I saw, said the Jets were begging people, but no nibbles.

Dobbs’ recent timeline

• Nov. 28, 2022: Waived by Browns
  • Dec. 5. 2022: Signed with Lions practice squad
  • Dec. 21, 2022: Signed by Titans off Lions practice squad
  • Dec. 29, 2022: Made first NFL start in Titans’ loss to Cowboys (also started season finale on Jan. 7)
  • March 20: Signed with Browns as a free agent
  • Aug. 24: Traded by Browns to Cardinals
  • Sept. 10: Made first of eight starts for Cardinals (1-7)
  • Oct. 31: Source: Traded by Cardinals to Vikings
Vikings are Dobbs' fifth team in 11 months. The jury has returned and the verdict is in.

Cardinals fans are rejoicing? He was never a long term option there. Wouldn't there be more rejoicing if he stayed and helped them get the #1 pick if he was that bad?

Dobbs drop off also coincides with Conners injury. With AZ's limited weapons to begin with, that didn't help. He was better against Baltimore last week.

I'm also not sure how this is a terrible move when the Vikings gave up virtually nothing to get him. They added depth and a potential starter for this season if Hall is really bad and Mullens can't return. Dobbs isn't a long term solution here either.

If there was a starting caliber QB worthwhile on the market, the Jets would have made that move 7 weeks ago.

Let me qualify that statement.

It's not a terrible move for the Vikings at all, provided they don't expect him to start any meaningful games. If he's being brought in to backup up Hall and/or Mullens, yes, I think it's a great move to bring in Dobbs to hold the clipboard. In that capacity he's a fantastic addition to the Vikings roste for all of his other intangibles that he bring with.

As a starter? Absolutely not.

The morons @ The Athletic give it a B.

We saw some quarterback movement on deadline day, as the Minnesota Vikings acquired quarterback Josh Dobbs and a conditional seventh-round draft pick from the Arizona Cardinalsfor a sixth-rounder.

Why they made the move

Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins tore his Achilles on Sunday and is out for the season, so they were motivated to reinforce the depth chart. Dobbs and rookie Jaren Hall will compete for the starting job over the final nine games, with Nick Mullens potentially able to return from injured reserve. The Vikings (4-4) are still very much in the playoff race, so they wanted to add a more known commodity to the equation.

Cardinals coach Jonathan Gannon announced Monday that Dobbs would no longer be the team’s starter. Rookie Clayton Tune will start this week if Kyler Murrayisn’t ready to return from injured reserve. Dobbs, who was acquired before the regular season, started all eight games, but the Cardinals will want to evaluate Tune and Murray before making an important quarterback decision in the offseason: stick with Murray or find a new QB in the draft?

Trade grade (Vikings): B

The Cardinals acquired Dobbs less than three weeks before the season opener, and he played relatively well under challenging circumstances, completing 62.8% of his passes for 1,569 yards with eight touchdowns and five interceptions. He also flashed some running ability with 47 carries for 258 yards and three touchdowns.

Now, he’ll have to repeat that feat for the Vikings, and it’ll help that head coach Kevin O’Connell is a former quarterback with a user-friendly offense and some talented skill players. The Vikings gave up very little to add Dobbs to the mix.

CBS Sports weighs in on the trade.

Vikings: A​

Big props to the Vikings for making the most of a tough situation after losing Cousins, who was in the midst of another prolific season. While Dobbs isn't Cousins, he is an experienced player who recently started in eight games for the Cardinals.

An extremely intelligent person, it shouldn't take Dobbs too long to learn the Vikings' offense. In the meantime, the Vikings will plan to roll with Hall for Sunday's game against the Atlanta Falcons.

Dobbs' numbers weren't great in Arizona, but he didn't have much to work with, especially with James Conner and Zach Ertz's injuries. That won't be the case in Minnesota, where Dobbs will have tight end T.J. Hockenson and rookie wideout Jordan Addison at his disposal.

Cardinals: D​

This was a meh trade for Arizona. While a sixth-round pick is something, one would think that the Cardinals could have gotten more for a quarterback who had very recently been a starter. The fact that the Cardinals had to include one of their own picks makes it that much worse.

Arizona may have been wiser to keep Dobbs given the fact that Tune is a rookie who has taken just one career regular season snap. Kyler Murray'sexpected return likely contributed to the Cardinals being willing to part with Dobbs. Either way, the Cardinals should have gotten more out of this deal.

I could be waaaaaaay off base here, but I think Dobbs is a replacement for Mannion, not necessarily a replacement for Hall.

I was assuming Hall would start for now, at least until Mullens is active again. Depending on how Hall does during this 'audition' period, I was thinking the plan would call for him to either start the rest of the way (if he plays well) or give way to Mullens (if Hall looks like an overwhelmed rookie).

But maybe I'm wrong; maybe the Vikings see Dobbs as the starter for the rest of 2023.

It will be an interesting thread to follow. I'm rooting for Hall.

Let me qualify that statement.

It's not a terrible move for the Vikings at all, provided they don't expect him to start any meaningful games. If he's being brought in to backup up Hall and/or Mullens, yes, I think it's a great move to bring in Dobbs to hold the clipboard. In that capacity he's a fantastic addition to the Vikings roste for all of his other intangibles that he bring with.

As a starter? Absolutely not.

If Dobbs ends up being the best option to start, then so be it. There are not that many good starting QBs in the NFL. That's why everyone is always trying to find one, mainly through the draft, or taking repeated chances on retreads who aren't very good. There are the few great QBs who are in the playoffs and make super bowl runs every year, and the rest of the QBs are mediocre to bad.

If the other backups or FAs available were good enough to start, they would be starting somewhere. At least the Vikings picked up someone for cheap who was good enough to start every game for someone so far this season, and put up decent numbers doing it.

If Dobbs ends up being the best option to start, then so be it. There are not that many good starting QBs in the NFL. That's why everyone is always trying to find one, mainly through the draft, or taking repeated chances on retreads who aren't very good. There are the few great QBs who are in the playoffs and make super bowl runs every year, and the rest of the QBs are mediocre to bad.

If the other backups or FAs available were good enough to start, they would be starting somewhere. At least the Vikings picked up someone for cheap who was good enough to start every game for someone so far this season, and put up decent numbers doing it.
I like your attitude

Top Bottom