All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

The Texans should certainly be willing to trade Keenum for a 6th/7th rounder. I have no idea what KOC thinks of him though. He'd probably rather have Colt McCoy.
McCoy worked out three weeks ago for The Purple, per The Athletic and knows KOC and Cousins from Washington.

I think a big question no one outside the Vikings seems to know is what is Muellens's status? He's probably better than anyone we can acquire but his injury seemed pretty significant.
Per The Athletic, he’s eligible to come off the injured list, after the Atlanta game - no information on how his back is doing.

There's some Kyler Murray buzz on the rumor mill websites. He has four (4) years left on his deal averaging $36M which is below market value.

I have no clue what it would take to trade for him but it would certainly catch JJ's attention and add a lot of intrigue for the rest of the season.
They would likely have to give us draft picks to take him.

They would likely have to give us draft picks to take him.
I didn't think it would take much but do you really think so because he's not a good QB or moreso, because they want out of that contract? If they trade him, the Cardinals would have a $46M cap hit in dead money next season.

there are a lot of levels to this.

but I tend to hold the viewpoint that the ultimate decisions will be made by the Wilfs -not by the front office.

because these are big decisions - future of the franchise decisions - and those have to be run by the owners.

I'm not saying the Wilfs will choose the next QB - but I am saying the Wilfs will choose the direction of the team - trade for a QB and try to contend this season - or play out the season with the in-house QB's and plan for next season.

if they choose to plan for next season, that plan has to include the QB position. bring back Kirk on a revamped contract, sign a free agent, or try to draft the QB of the future.

those decisions would have had to be made at some point - but now they have to be made on an accelerated timetable.

I know. But he's 37 and they apparently chose Mannion over him so...
Just communicating what they are reporting as realistic external possibilities, in addition to Mullins, Mannion and Hall.

In addition to McCoy, they listed -
Tannehill
Case
Ryan
Foles
Dalton
John Wolford, Bucs as a backup to an internal option.

Here is some Hall love from the article-

Given O’Connell’s background as a former NFL quarterback and quarterback coach in the private sector, he is calculated when it comes to QB development. He understands the complexity that comes with playing the position at the highest level. He and the Vikings believe strongly in Hall’s trajectory. But does it behoove that trajectory to throw Hall into action at this juncture? Originally, Minnesota planned to have him learn from inside the quarterback room as the third-stringer behind Cousins and 28-year-old Nick Mullens.

Starting QB's that would be even remotely conceivably attainable:

Mac Jones
Jimmy Garrapolo
Russell Wilson
Ryan Tannehill
Matthew Stafford
Kyler Murray
Baker Mayfield

Backups:

Case Keenum
Jacoby Brisett
Andy Dalton
Teddy Bridgewater
Cooper Rush

Off the street:

Colt McCoy
Carson Wentz
Matt Ryan

The odds of us going far with anyone on this list are long. Play Hall the rest of the year. Try to sign Cousins to a 1-2 year deal and maybe draft a QB.
I’d give Wentz a shot on a 9 game contract. It’s his childhood team growing up from what I’ve read. Could make for a great story or a complete dud

Last edited:

There's some Kyler Murray buzz on the rumor mill websites. He has four (4) years left on his deal averaging $36M which is below market value.

I have no clue what it would take to trade for him but it would certainly catch JJ's attention and add a lot of intrigue for the rest of the season.
Hard pass - seems like an overrated Me guy.

I really don’t know what the right answer is.

The only thing that for sure makes sense is that the Wilfs will not abandon this season. They don’t do that. There will be no fire-sale trades.

I don’t know if you roll with Hall based on what they’ve seen in practice and that 16 yard completion to TJ? Or if you sign a free agent. Or try to make a trade with draft picks.

I kinda like just rolling with Hall and letting the chips fall where they may.

As much as I was a blowhard, it’s impossible to know if this season was headed anywhere realistic beyond just making the playoffs. The way they were playing, seemed like it .. but we’ll never know.

So with Hall, he’s either good enough that with the supporting cast plus JJ’s return we still make the playoffs and call it a great story, or he falters and we get a slightly better pick.

But I’m sure there will be good arguments made for all angles.

Strib article out for KOC’s presser today, talks about McCoy: was with KOC at Washington, backed up Kirk there, and visited the Vikings in Oct.l (just didn’t work out then).

I have no idea if that’s a better option than Hall, but if it’s “cheap” to sign him why not? Can be a backup.

Just simply speaking from Netflix …. would we (should we??) consider Mariota?

Hard pass - seems like an overrated Me guy.
I'm not sure it was a "Me" issue but he didn't seem committed enough to be a great NFL QB. If KOC can get through to him on that, he's talented enough. He also never had the talent level around him in AZ that he would have in MN.

I'm not sure it was a "Me" issue but he didn't seem committed enough to be a great NFL QB. If KOC can get through to him on that, he's talented enough. He also never had the talent level around him in AZ that he would have in MN.
Your desire to be great has to come from within and not having that type of commitment, makes you a “me” first non-professional guy IMO, as you aren’t maximizing your ability for your team and the organization that’s paying you $230M over 5 years.

Not studying the playbook enough or watching film all the time reeks of someone who puts himself In front of the team, ergo, “me first.”

KOC apparently indicated to ESPN that the Vikes are leaning toward adding a QB.

article from Kevin Seifert on ESPN website:

An MRI confirmed the tear, the Vikings announced Monday afternoon. But speaking shortly thereafter, coach Kevin O'Connell declined to name a starter for Sunday's game at the Atlanta Falcons.

He indicated the team would add a quarterback in the next day or so, and would not rule out the possibility that the newcomer could ultimately become their starter for the bulk of the season.

"We're still working through that," O'Connell said.

later in the article, KOC says Hall could wind up as the starter.

"I did want to see Jaren go in the game and function," O'Connell said. "A lot of the feedback that I got from guys in the huddle is that he was outstanding calling plays. Cadence, snap counts, center-quarterback exchange, those are all things that go through your mind. ... I was using some of those opportunities to show Jaren my confidence in him, but also give him some opportunities to play quarterback.

"... We'll continue Jaren's process of getting him ready to go each and every week, if he ends up being the guy."

Adam Schefter just now with Joe and Troy doesn't see the Vikings making a trade for a QB and that they not going to mail it in. So they not trading Hunter.

Winston is a turnover machine. Not what the Vikings and this defense needs, to keep putting the Defense back out on the field.

If he was at all available, I'd rather take a flyer on Wentz.

Obviously with Hunter, the Vikings have to ask themselves if they are going to resign (or franchise tag) Hunter in the offseason or not. If they do, then it's just a math equation on the dollars. It's the same question a team trading for him has to answer first also. Compensation also has to be better than the Comp pick the Vikings would get for letting him walk.

RE Murray, per an article in The Athletic-

Arizona Cardinalsquarterback Kyler Murray is a fun name, but his dead-cap hit would hover around $46 million, according to Over The Cap. Arizona does not have sufficient cap space to make such a deal work.

Winston is a turnover machine. Not what the Vikings and this defense needs, to keep putting the Defense back out on the field.

If he was at all available, I'd rather take a flyer on Wentz.

Obviously with Hunter, the Vikings have to ask themselves if they are going to resign (or franchise tag) Hunter in the offseason or not. If they do, then it's just a math equation on the dollars. It's the same question a team trading for him has to answer first also. Compensation also has to be better than the Comp pick the Vikings would get for letting him walk.
Per The Athletic, Hunter cannot be franchise tagged, per his restructured contract -

After months of negotiations and a hold-in, Hunter and the Vikings agreed to restructure his contract with a clause that prohibits the team from using the franchise tag on him after this season.

He will become a free agent at the end of the season. And because he leads the NFL in sacks (10), he should be in line for a nice payday.

This places the Vikings in a precarious position. Their defense is peaking. Brian Flores’ unit ranks 10th in the NFL in DVOA, which accounts for strength of schedule. Minnesota has held each of its last three opponents under 20 points, all wins.

https://theathletic.com/5015288/202...e-danielle-hunter/?source=user_shared_articleVikings at the trade deadline: Is it worth dealing Danielle Hunter? What to do at QB?

Last edited:

Per The Athletic, Hunter cannot be franchise tagged, per his restructured contract -

After months of negotiations and a hold-in, Hunter and the Vikings agreed to restructure his contract with a clause that prohibits the team from using the franchise tag on him after this season.

He will become a free agent at the end of the season. And because he leads the NFL in sacks (10), he should be in line for a nice payday.

This places the Vikings in a precarious position. Their defense is peaking. Brian Flores’ unit ranks 10th in the NFL in DVOA, which accounts for strength of schedule. Minnesota has held each of its last three opponents under 20 points, all wins.

https://theathletic.com/5015288/202...e-danielle-hunter/?source=user_shared_articleVikings at the trade deadline: Is it worth dealing Danielle Hunter? What to do at QB?
If you don't trade Hunter, you had better be signing him.

You don't let him walk in 9 games for nothing.

Yet, it seems like something we would do.

If you don't trade Hunter, you had better be signing him.

You don't let him walk in 9 games for nothing.

Yet, it seems like something we would do.
I think they can sign him now, as Kirk is going to have limited options being a 35/36 year old coming off an Achilles injury. And we should be able to retain him without mortgaging our future, while staying under the 🧢.

Who knows, maybe this ends up being a “blessing in disguise 🥸

The Vikings have to sign someone to backup the backup the backup. It's got to be done, it's just a matter of who. Even if they bring back Jordan Ta'amu from training camp. Someone will have to be signed.

Top Bottom