All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Is this going to make signing JJ much harder?

Also, 3-0 without JJ?

If he played for the Gophers he would come into next week as Questionable :p

This is really such a bummer. If this it at least he went out playing the best he ever has here and beating the Packers.
Game time decision. You'll find out 2 hours before.

Your definition, not mine😉.

Trading any draft capital at this juncture of the season for a QB who doesn’t know the system to try and eke out a playoff birth reeks of desperation and accomplishes zero for the future. There is zero assurance this move works and as already noted, likely not cap feasible anyway.

The focus needs to be on the strategic, long-term growth of the team - ♟️ not checkers.
Depends who it is and what you give up.

I watched the Jets and Giants game and the G Men had to play Tommy DeVito, undrafted FA, when Tyrod Taylor got hurt and it wasn’t aesthetically pleasing, he was 2-7 for -1 yards.

There’s no reason we can’t beat the Falcons and the Bears with a simplified game plan, while Hall builds confidence and gets his bearings. I hope the team looks at this as an opportunity and not an obstacle; Hall ain’t Tommy DeVito.
Tommy DeVito doesn't sounds like someone you should be bad mouthing....

Cousins season all but over.

It's pretty simple, they already know if it's a torn Achilles or not. I think I posted this in another thread (or this one?) but when I tore my Achilles, there's a very simple test any non-medical simpleton could do to confirm. Dangle your leg off the edge of a table, give the belly of the calf muscle a few squeezes; if your foot flips up a few times when you do, your Achilles is fine. If your foot just sits there, the Achilles is torn. I think the Doc said it's called the Thompson Test or something like that.

No doubt they knew by the time he'd been off the field for 10-20 minutes.

It's pretty simple, they already know if it's a torn Achilles or not. I think I posted this in another thread (or this one?) but when I tore my Achilles, there's a very simple test any non-medical simpleton could do to confirm. Dangle your leg off the edge of a table, give the belly of the calf muscle a few squeezes; if your foot flips up a few times when you do, your Achilles is fine. If your foot just sits there, the Achilles is torn. I think the Doc said it's called the Thompson Test or something like that.

No doubt they knew by the time he'd been off the field for 10-20 minutes.
you think? :unsure:

Vikings open as a 4 point dogs on the road at a not great Atlanta team that benched its starting quarterback today.

Wow. The reaction among teammates should tell you everything you need to know about how they think about him. I guess I knew, but not to that extent...

The Athletic: Vikings Teammates Reaction After Packers Game

An interesting tidbit in there; "Bill Barnwell pointed out that Cousins hasn’t even been on the injury report since Week 1 of the 2013 season."

The guy has always answered the bell. Much respect for that. Tough break

wrong. higher draft picks matter.
This team already has 4 wins and will win 2-3 more even if things go poorly. The difference between the 18th pick and the 11th pick is not nearly as big of a deal as between 2 and 11.

Tommy DeVito doesn't sounds like someone you should be bad mouthing....
Not for nothing, the same name as Joe Pesci's character in GoodFellas (real name: Thomas DeSimone) and also one of the Four Seasons who spent some time in the pen due to breaking and entering (if you've seen Jersey Boys, he was portrayed as the Season dancing most closely with the law and the Mafia).

So, I'm just here to say, Tommy DeVito is the greatest quarterback playing and if he doesn't succeed, it's due to being held back by coaches, not through any fault of his own.

wrong. higher draft picks matter.
I personally don’t believe in tanking and my comment, was of course, 👅 in cheek regarding starting Tanner Morgan, and as a zinger to all the prior tanking talk😉. Context matters 😎 - nice try kiddo.

We still have a path to the third wildcard, albeit a more rocky one.

Lastly if I’m JJ tanking would turn me off. It’s also imperative, now more then ever, to find out if Hall is a long term answer or not.

Last edited:

Starting QB's that would be even remotely conceivably attainable:

Mac Jones
Jimmy Garrapolo
Russell Wilson
Ryan Tannehill
Matthew Stafford
Kyler Murray
Baker Mayfield

Backups:

Case Keenum
Jacoby Brisett
Andy Dalton
Teddy Bridgewater
Cooper Rush

Off the street:

Colt McCoy
Carson Wentz
Matt Ryan

The odds of us going far with anyone on this list are long. Play Hall the rest of the year. Try to sign Cousins to a 1-2 year deal and maybe draft a QB.

I think they'll call the Titans about Tannehill, but that's about it. If that prospective idea goes nowhere, they'll roll with Jaren Hall or sign McCoy (or perhaps both, since they will need a backup).

Slight hail mary chance to Case since he was here in the not too distant past.

Starting QB's that would be even remotely conceivably attainable:

Mac Jones
Jimmy Garrapolo
Russell Wilson
Ryan Tannehill
Matthew Stafford
Kyler Murray
Baker Mayfield

Backups:

Case Keenum
Jacoby Brisett
Andy Dalton
Teddy Bridgewater
Cooper Rush

Off the street:

Colt McCoy
Carson Wentz
Matt Ryan

The odds of us going far with anyone on this list are long. Play Hall the rest of the year. Try to sign Cousins to a 1-2 year deal and maybe draft a QB.
Brissett is the best option out there.

I can fully understand the thought to simply roll out Hall and see what you got. My only issue with that option is that if Hall isn't ready, you can lose a locker room pretty quickly. Guys like Powell, Osborne and others could be greatly impacted by rolling out a player who cannot play. I'm not saying that's what Hall is but if that's the case and we roll him out, that's as much of a gut punch to the locker room as trading away some vets.

If I could get Brissett for almost nothing, I'd go for him. If I am going with Hall because we think there is really something there, I just sit tight and see what we have. If I am going with Hall because it's our only option and I don't wanna burn draft capital, I'd probably move on from Hunter and Hicks as well.

I think they'll call the Titans about Tannehill, but that's about it. If that prospective idea goes nowhere, they'll roll with Jaren Hall or sign McCoy (or perhaps both, since they will need a backup).

I would hate it if it were Tannehill.

Brissett is the best option out there.

I can fully understand the thought to simply roll out Hall and see what you got. My only issue with that option is that if Hall isn't ready, you can lose a locker room pretty quickly. Guys like Powell, Osborne and others could be greatly impacted by rolling out a player who cannot play. I'm not saying that's what Hall is but if that's the case and we roll him out, that's as much of a gut punch to the locker room as trading away some vets.

If I could get Brissett for almost nothing, I'd go for him. If I am going with Hall because we think there is really something there, I just sit tight and see what we have. If I am going with Hall because it's our only option and I don't wanna burn draft capital, I'd probably move on from Hunter and Hicks as well.

At the end of the day, it boils down to what they REALLY think of Hall. None of us really knows that right now. They obviously have an exceedingly manageable schedule coming up in the next 4-5 weeks.

The nice thing is, with the deadline here, we won't have to wait very long to know what they are thinking

Well of course it happens against Green Bay to wreck the feeling of wiping them out.

And of course it happens two days before the trade deadline so they get no chance to see what hall looks like for a few games.

Just cursed.

Last edited:

I have one more day to resist that candy bowl. It just sits there loaded with almond joys…….

There isn't going to be a trade for a QB the salvages the season. No cap room and very little probability of success. Is there a QB on the street that can come in for cheap? Unless TB12 is feeling a competitive fire, I doubt it but I'm sure Carson Wentz's people have already made inquiries. Realistically, what's the ceiling for this team now? Wild card and out. There's no point in giving away assets to get there. It makes more sense to see what you have in Hall and if that leads to the playoffs, somehow, great. If not, there's better draft position as the upshot.

I think that even if the idea is to roll with Hall, I'm not sure how well you can evaluate him with the almost non-existent running game. I'm not sure what to make of the running game. The offensive line is definitely improved in the pass game. Is it possible it's not a good run blocking line?

Or, more likely, is it that we just don't have good running backs? I think there's a reason Mattison resigned for so cheap. The market for him wasn't going to be great. There's a reason Akers was expendable. Would it be worth bringing Dalvin back for a late round pick? I can't imagine that he's dropped off as precipitously as it appears from last year to now. He knows the system, should be fresh, and NYJ likely eats some of his salary.

Without a run game, it's hard to see Hall having much success when the defense knows that we're going to throw 75% of the time.

If we're not playing this year, I would think Hunter is potentially gone. He's a F.A. and I think a tough resign. Somebody will give up some draft capital for him.

As for Cousins, all the talk now is that the future for him is probably a one year prove it deal. By all accounts he wants to finish his career here. Kirk is a good to very good, the latter lately, QB but not great. We can't have the type of cap space that he's devoured and win it all. I would want him back only if he wants to be back and if he also wants to win. And that means that he takes a significant, Brady-like, team building pay cut.

Jefferson complicates it all. I doubt he wants in on a new QB, unless its Caleb Williams. So if Kirk is gone, is Jefferson? It'll be an interesting offseason.

I like Heinicke as a trade target but the timing is terrible
Atlanta isn't good but they're more likely to make the play-offs than the Vikings because the AFC South is awful. So they likely won't trade him now period.

The Texans should certainly be willing to trade Keenum for a 6th/7th rounder. I have no idea what KOC thinks of him though. He'd probably rather have Colt McCoy.

I think a big question no one outside the Vikings seems to know is what is Muellens's status? He's probably better than anyone we can acquire but his injury seemed pretty significant.

There's some Kyler Murray buzz on the rumor mill websites. He has four (4) years left on his deal averaging $36M which is below market value.

I have no clue what it would take to trade for him but it would certainly catch JJ's attention and add a lot of intrigue for the rest of the season.

Top Bottom