All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

I'd have no problem bringing him back for one more year while drafting a QB in the 1st round.

It's evident Taylor Swift hates Mpls. The only venue she skipped is Minnesota...and before that I questioned her taste.

So, this tweet on Thursday from Kevin Seifert is getting some attention.
https://twitter.com/SeifertESPN
@SeifertESPN

Justin Jefferson just jogged through the Vikings locker room. And his jog is my sprint. Looked pretty spry. Thus ends my rehab coverage for today.

Some people are taking this as confirmation that Jefferson's injury is not that serious, leading to conspiracy theories that the Vikes put Jefferson on IR as part of their scheme to tank the season and get a high draft pick.

I don't believe that, but I think it's amusing.

At the very least he has to stop demanding short-term guaranteed contracts and let them do a longer deal that lowers his cap #.

Why should he do that?

The Vikings FO is just as culpable for whatever ends up in Cousins' contract as Kirk and his agent. Cousins and his agent should continue to do what's best for him. It's stupid to argue that he should take less money or anything remotely along those lines.

The contract Cousins signed was set up for the Vikings to be able to cut bait at the end of the year if they want; Cousins knew that, so why not get the best deal he could?

Why should he do that?

The Vikings FO is just as culpable for whatever ends up in Cousins' contract as Kirk and his agent. Cousins and his agent should continue to do what's best for him. It's stupid to argue that he should take less money or anything remotely along those lines.

The contract Cousins signed was set up for the Vikings to be able to cut bait at the end of the year if they want; Cousins knew that, so why not get the best deal he could?
I'm not arguing for him to take less $$. Just to allow more cap flexibility like Mahomes and others have done

Last edited:

I'm not arguing for him to take less $$. Just to allow more cap flexibility like Mahomes and others have done

Not sure... I think if you really delved into the numbers, I would suspect in real dollars, Mahomes didn't offer the Chiefs that incredible of a deal. And he'll be re-doing that deal much sooner than later, it ain't gonna be a 10 year deal.

The previous regime, who I actually had very little issue with, but the Vikings in their current position with Cousins. KAM and KOC are just trying to clean up the mess and get things turned around.

I heard today the Vikings have $41M in dead cap this year? That's KAM trying to clean up the mess he was left with and open up the checkbook moving forward. Surprised at how people are bailing on KAM so soon; I'm actually very bullish on the new GM and am curious to see how they continue to go about righting the ship

What I read on Cleveland since you posted that, is conjecture that he wants to play Tackle and therefore wants out of Minnesota. Not sure if that's true, completely made up/wild guessing, or what.

If you've been in the league for four years as a starting Guard, even though you played tackle at ... Boise State ... I didn't know you could just declare that you're going to play Tackle now.

They've done that with him too. His cap hit is only 20 million this year, but if he's traded or released this season or after the season, the Vikings will still have 28.5 million in dead cap for Cousins in either 24 or 25.

Last edited:

Not sure... I think if you really delved into the numbers, I would suspect in real dollars, Mahomes didn't offer the Chiefs that incredible of a deal. And he'll be re-doing that deal much sooner than later, it ain't gonna be a 10 year deal.

The previous regime, who I actually had very little issue with, but the Vikings in their current position with Cousins. KAM and KOC are just trying to clean up the mess and get things turned around.

I heard today the Vikings have $41M in dead cap this year? That's KAM trying to clean up the mess he was left with and open up the checkbook moving forward. Surprised at how people are bailing on KAM so soon; I'm actually very bullish on the new GM and am curious to see how they continue to go about righting the ship

The frustration with KAM is how terrible his draft picks have been which have nothing to do with the cap. His talent evaluation has been poor so far.

The cap situation he inherited is awful though. Right now the dead cap for next season is only 3.5 million, mainly from Dalvin Cook. That could jump back up to 32 million if they move on from Cousins, but then could drop to nearly nothing in 2025 where they will have a significant amount of cap space even if they sign JJ and Darrisaw.

Either way this season is their worst for cap space and it will get better over the next two seasons.

Last edited:

They've done that with him too. His cap hit is only 20 million this year, but if he's traded or released this season or after the season, the Vikings will still have 28.5 million in dead cap for Cousins in either 24 or 25.
He did this year only because they tacked "void years". If he signs another extension it can't be 3 years $100 million guaranteed like the last two or he'll end up with a 2024 cap number of $45+ million. It will need to be 3 years spread out over 5-6. Personally I'd rather just move on.

He did this year only because they tacked "void years". If he signs another extension it can't be 3 years $100 million guaranteed like the last two or he'll end up with a 2024 cap number of $45+ million. It will need to be 3 years spread out over 5-6. Personally I'd rather just move on.

I would too and this is the draft to do it

They ain’t starting a rookie next year. Nope.

Wilfs don’t do rebuilds and that would be a pure rebuild. That’s not their business plan for the Vikings.

You either go cheap free-agent and get what you pay for, or someone as good as Kirk will command the same money that Kirk can get. Why change to someone who will have to learn the offense from scratch? Nah

Warning - old guy yelling at clouds......

I know there is about a 1% chance of this happening - but -

I would really like to see the NFL clear up all of the cap rules and loopholes. Dead cap money - void years - get rid of all of it. no more "converting a signing bonus to a roster bonus" or whatever type of cap gymnastics that teams engage in.

the cap should be a real cap. You have $225-million - or whatever amount - to spend on salaries. that's it. force teams to make real decisions instead of using cap tricks to kick the can down the road.

Warning - old guy yelling at clouds......

I know there is about a 1% chance of this happening - but -

I would really like to see the NFL clear up all of the cap rules and loopholes. Dead cap money - void years - get rid of all of it. no more "converting a signing bonus to a roster bonus" or whatever type of cap gymnastics that teams engage in.

the cap should be a real cap. You have $225-million - or whatever amount - to spend on salaries. that's it. force teams to make real decisions instead of using cap tricks to kick the can down the road.
The 15 highest paid players this year are all QBs. Along with what you said, I would like to see some kind of separate salary cap for QBs only. Teams can go above it but then it starts to go against the general team cap.

Of course he would say that on the record. This is from the Not Necessarily The News portion of Schefter's schtick. Thanks, Adam.

As far as the cap, and cap management, skillful maneuvering, shenanigans, this has all been collectively bargained. There's not much chance of going in revers on this anytime soon. Both sides have bought in, and it benefits the teams that know their way around it better than the other buffoons running teams in the league.

This game has a throwback feel. I don't mean that in a good way. It feels like one of the old boring semi-competent black and blue division games from say the late seventies or early '80s.

Top Bottom