All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

20-27, reigning champs.

Nah, look for whatever you can to complain about. Invent it, if need be.

Tanking worked for KC, though!

That’s how they got Mahomes!!!

Oh wait, no they were division champs at 12-4 that year before they drafted him ……

With JJ out, as others have stated, it sure seems like the season boils down to this week. If they lose, they're cooked. Looking at who could potentially trade for Cousins, it would seem the list is thus:

- Jets. Seems like the most likely destination, but most certainly have to have cap issues with Rodgers contract. Is it worth it to eat most of Cousins' salary to get some draft capital?
- Patriots. If they can win this week to not be completely out of it, they may be interested in a half-year rental given that Mac Jones is likely on his way out. If they lose, they are also cooked.
- Colts, depending on Richardson injury.
- Commies. Howell isn't that good, but are they willing to piss him off by brining somebody else in for a half season?
- Bucs. QB play hasn't been terrible, but they have a good defense and enough offensive pieces that they could be a legit threat with a decent QB. Not sure what the Mayfield contract is like and if he's signed more than this year.
- Falcons. Same as Commies above - young QB not playing overly well, guessing you don't bring somebody in to piss him off, but depends on how desperate they are.
- Saints. Similar to Bucs. Could be a QB upgrade away from being a legitimate threat.

If any team were to trade for him, presumably they have a slight inside track on re-signing him if they desire. That would leave the Patriots, Bucs, and Saints as teams that would fit that description.

1-4 is 5 games. By my calculations, that is less than 30% of the season. Maybe 9-8 gets in the playoff. That works for me. Sweep Chicago, GB, split with Detroit gets you to 6-5. 3-3 the rest. Seems just fine. Or go 4-2 even better.

Kirk has No trade clause.

He ain’t going nowhere. Watch Netflix special. Otherwise you’re a rube just rubing.

1-4 is 5 games. By my calculations, that is less than 30% of the season. Maybe 9-8 gets in the playoff. That works for me.

Kirk had No trade clause.

He ain’t going nowhere. Watch Netflix special. Otherwise you’re a rube just rubing.
If he had years left on his contract, maybe. But do you really want to refuse a trade just to stay on a team that no longer wants you for 8 more games in a lost season? That's awkward. I can see him refusing a trade to the Jets as he's not a New York kind of guy. But a trade to say Atlanta? I'd take it if I were him.

With JJ out, as others have stated, it sure seems like the season boils down to this week. If they lose, they're cooked. Looking at who could potentially trade for Cousins, it would seem the list is thus:

- Jets. Seems like the most likely destination, but most certainly have to have cap issues with Rodgers contract. Is it worth it to eat most of Cousins' salary to get some draft capital?
- Patriots. If they can win this week to not be completely out of it, they may be interested in a half-year rental given that Mac Jones is likely on his way out. If they lose, they are also cooked.
- Colts, depending on Richardson injury.
- Commies. Howell isn't that good, but are they willing to piss him off by brining somebody else in for a half season?
- Bucs. QB play hasn't been terrible, but they have a good defense and enough offensive pieces that they could be a legit threat with a decent QB. Not sure what the Mayfield contract is like and if he's signed more than this year.
- Falcons. Same as Commies above - young QB not playing overly well, guessing you don't bring somebody in to piss him off, but depends on how desperate they are.
- Saints. Similar to Bucs. Could be a QB upgrade away from being a legitimate threat.

If any team were to trade for him, presumably they have a slight inside track on re-signing him if they desire. That would leave the Patriots, Bucs, and Saints as teams that would fit that description.
The Jets make the most sense, but Kirk would wilt under the pressure in NY and Rodgers is insisting he'll be back before the end of the season which makes it awkward. Plus no 1st round pick.

The Patriots are awful. Way worse than the Vikings. They are not an option.

The Colts aren't really contenders and Minshew is fine until Richardson returns.

Commies are interesting. Howell isn't awful but Rivera will likely be fired if they miss the play-offs.

Bucs would make a lot of sense. Mayfield is only a care taker.

Falcons could also make sense. I would gladly take Ridder straight up in a trade.

Derek Carr is basically Cousins. I don't see how that makes sense for the Saints or works under the cap. Plus he's on a multi-year deal.

The Jets make the most sense, but Kirk would wilt under the pressure in NY and Rodgers is insisting he'll be back before the end of the season which makes it awkward. Plus no 1st round pick.

The Colts aren't really contenders and Minshew is fine until Richardson returns.

Commies are interesting. Howell isn't awful but Rivera will likely be fired if they miss the play-offs.

Falcons could also make sense. I would gladly take Ridder straight up in a trade.

Derek Carr is basically Cousins. I don't see how that makes sense for the Saints or works under the cap. Plus he's on a multi-year deal.
I'd much rather get draft picks.

Cousins for Ridder is laughably dumb. The Vikings had several opportunities to draft him and didn't for a reason. He's not a good QB.

I'd much rather get draft picks.

I think people should temper their expectations on what a possible return would be on that kind of a trade. The major benefit is clearing the salary, I'm not REALLY sure what else they could expect in a return, but I haven't done a lot of reading or homework on possible trade scenarios.

I wouldn't be writing off Howell just yet if I were Washington. Howell is playing decent football in a tough situation. For the Long Haul, I would bet Howell sticking with Washington over:

- Geno Smith
- Daniel Jones
- Mac Jones
- Desmond Ridder
- Tannehill
- Fields
- Zack Wilson
and probably a handful of others?

How in the world Rivera still has an HC job in the NFL is just mind-boggling. I was a huge fan, like for years and years really, but when you look at the body of work, he's produced abysmal results really. Three winning seasons in 13 years of being an NFL Head Coach. He's such a quality individual and likable guy but he should never hold and HC job again.

I wouldn't be writing off Howell just yet if I were Washington. Howell is playing decent football in a tough situation. For the Long Haul, I would bet Howell sticking with Washington over:

- Geno Smith
- Daniel Jones
- Mac Jones
- Desmond Ridder
- Tannehill
- Fields
- Zack Wilson
and probably a handful of others?

How in the world Rivera still has an HC job in the NFL is just mind-boggling. I was a huge fan, like for years and years really, but when you look at the body of work, he's produced abysmal results really. Three winning seasons in 13 years of being an NFL Head Coach. He's such a quality individual and likable guy but he should never hold and HC job again.
It helps when you "win" your division with a losing record not once but twice. He's not terrible, but certainly over-rated. I don't know how safe the GM is, and that would decide whether they'd make a desperate plea for Cousins. They shouldn't, they're not close to being a contender in the NFC.

as far as deadline trades - last year NFL teams made 19 deals at the trading deadline.

teams trading away players received the following draft picks:

1st round - 1 (in the Bradley Chubb to the Dolphins deal)
2nd rnd - 4 (including 2nd rounder dealt by Vikes to Detroit for Hockenson)
3rd rnd - 3
4th rnd - 4
5th rnd - 4
6th rnd - 7
7th rnd - 3

so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a bevy of high draft picks from any deadline deals.

But - I wouldn't mind seeing the Vikes add some picks if possible. gives them more ammunition to possibly trade up in the draft to go after a QB.

FWIW -- just got a laugh.

Went to the ESPN home page to check a couple of things and saw this headine:

"Falcons acquire WR Jefferson in trade.......with Rams."

It was Van Jefferson.

But as I was reading the headline, I saw "acquire WR Jefferson" and just for a moment, I thought WTF????

BTW - Rams got a 6th round pick in the deal, but Falcons got a 7th-round pick back. so a 1-round pick swap gets you a WR who has 8 rec for 108 yds and No TD's. But Jefferson did have 50 rec for 802 yds and 6 TD's in 2021.

A Cousins trade is not likely to bring us a first round pick and that's okay. IMO, there are only three teams that could have any interest in adding him and they are the Jets, Patriots and the Falcons.

Half a seasons' salary isn't that big of a deal, we could eat a significant portion of it for the right trade. If we got a 2nd and a 4th back, we'd likely be happy to eat a significant portion of his salary for the season.

Hunter will likely get you a first or a second as well. He should have a much larger market because every team would like to add more pass rushers. I'd shop anyone on our defense for whatever we could get and I'd be be open to shopping anyone on our offense outside of Hockenson, Darrisaw, O'Neal, and Addison.

As others have said, this needs to be done but I really wish it wasn't Kwesi doing it.

I'm now pissed we beat Carolina.

You know, with a loss to Carolina we'd have a 2 game lead over Carolina and Chicago for the number 1 pick.

Just damn!

FWIW -- just got a laugh.

Went to the ESPN home page to check a couple of things and saw this headine:

"Falcons acquire WR Jefferson in trade.......with Rams."

It was Van Jefferson.

But as I was reading the headline, I saw "acquire WR Jefferson" and just for a moment, I thought WTF????

BTW - Rams got a 6th round pick in the deal, but Falcons got a 7th-round pick back. so a 1-round pick swap gets you a WR who has 8 rec for 108 yds and No TD's. But Jefferson did have 50 rec for 802 yds and 6 TD's in 2021.
These websites are getting more and more shameless with their click-bait headlines. "Vikings sign 1st round WR!" and it's N'Keal Harry.

Besides JJ, the Vikings also placed Nick Mullens on the IR. We're only a Cousins injury away from 1-16. I don't want that to happen but reality in the NFL is fickle.

Of course he's going to be back in 24. Unless they want to start a rookie draft pick. That's the only other realistic option.

Any free-agent we can get will either cost more than we can pay or will cost about the same as Kirk for likely lower ability/performance.

Signing JJ may be predicated on having a good QB option and waiting to make sure they do the right thing there.

Top Bottom