All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Without Cousins, you lose his huge contract. I would hope they could actually use the money to go get a defender or two.

This team has to build up the roster and that's a few years away. The defense is still trash and needs multiple, multiple, players!

I get what Murray is saying. There is an element of risk.

But QB's are like milk cartons. they have a "must use by" date on them. If your QB goes sour and you don't have a replacement ready, you are hosed.

plus the whole salary cap situation. the holy grail is to land a young, talented QB on a rookie-level contract. Yes, many teams have tried and failed to pull that off. but that does not mean that other teams should be afraid to try.

the key is being bad enough to have one of the top draft picks - and have your choice of QB candidates ---- or being willing to trade draft capital to move up into one of the top slots.

so far, the Vikings have not been bad enough, and have not been willing to trade up far enough. which leaves them in limbo.

We’re never going to be bad enough. GOOD

Yes, have balls. Trade up to take the franchise prospect. That’s what KC did. That’s the correct model.

All this fake talk of “0-3 = 0% chance” is such bulls__t.

We’re not 0-2, we’re 0-1. NFL sent us to Philly on a Thurs.

Piss off. That doesn’t count. Triple correct when you factor in 17 games and 7 playoff teams.

I think you'd find out how good Jefferson truly is. I'm not sold. But if hes that good, he would elevate rookie QB

Mmmm. I don't know.

When Randy Moss left the Vikings for the Raiders back in the day, even he could not improve the QB play on that team, and Moss was the best I ever saw (except for Jerry Rice).

I've always been of the opinion that a great QB is far more likely to be able to help team mates play above their abilities than a great receiver is to do the same, because of the nature of the two positions. The QB has the ball in his hand every play, and he determines where the ball goes.

I get what Murray is saying. There is an element of risk.

But QB's are like milk cartons. they have a "must use by" date on them. If your QB goes sour and you don't have a replacement ready, you are hosed.

plus the whole salary cap situation. the holy grail is to land a young, talented QB on a rookie-level contract. Yes, many teams have tried and failed to pull that off. but that does not mean that other teams should be afraid to try.

the key is being bad enough to have one of the top draft picks - and have your choice of QB candidates ---- or being willing to trade draft capital to move up into one of the top slots.

so far, the Vikings have not been bad enough, and have not been willing to trade up far enough. which leaves them in limbo.

Even if you pick the right guy, he might get injured. Both Bryce Young and Anthony Richardson have been ruled out for this week.

Cousins, whatever his flaws, plays every game.

Kwesi is coming hard at Derek Falvey in the race for worst local GM. Derek has a large head start though. And really Tim Connelly still wins for the Gobert trade alone. Minnesota sports.

So you're mad at GMs who make the playoffs...weird

playoffs is a pretty low bar these days, no?

You simplified the argument to make Howy look bad.

He does that enough on his own.

I would like to see more playoff wins, but it's better than not making the playoffs. Years-playoff appearances:
Kwesi is 1-1
Connelly is 1-1
Levine will be 4-7

Prior to Levine the Twins went 6 straight years without making the playoffs. The Wolves made the play in game the year before Connelly, but before that they only made the playoffs once in 17 years. The Vikings had missed the playoffs two straight years prior to Kwesi.

Both the Twins and Wolves have more talent than they've had in a very long time. Falvey and Levine deserve all the credit for that on the Twins. Connelly and Kwesi deserve partial credit for the Wolves/Vikings.

All you have to do is get in and you have a chance.

So you're mad at GMs who make the playoffs...weird
The jury is out on Kwesi but the 2022 draft is certainly not looking good. Falvey is what he is. If you want to crown him for winning the worst division in baseball, go ahead.

Even if you pick the right guy, he might get injured. Both Bryce Young and Anthony Richardson have been ruled out for this week.

Cousins, whatever his flaws, plays every game.

Murray - I don't think anyone is claiming that Cousins can't play.

what I'm saying is that he can't play forever.

and the Vikings need to have a plan for his eventual successor.

Murray - I don't think anyone is claiming that Cousins can't play.

what I'm saying is that he can't play forever.

and the Vikings need to have a plan for his eventual successor.

No, I know that's not what you're saying, SON.

I agree with you. Because of his age, Cousins isn't a long-term solution for the Vikings at QB. That's just a fact.

For the record, though, I think there are a few Vikings fans who do have (and have always had) a very low opinion of Cousins' abilities. I'm not putting you in that category, but I've heard others who will pretty much say he is terrible. I'm sure you've heard them, too.

"He can't win the big game" is a pretty popular canard.

And it's true that he's not Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady. But neither is anyone else, except... Mahomes and Brady. I think Cousins played pretty good football in his Viking years, all things considered. Not Hall of Fame level, but pretty good.

The jury is out on Kwesi but the 2022 draft is certainly not looking good. Falvey is what he is. If you want to crown him for winning the worst division in baseball, go ahead.

I agree on Kwesi, but he still deserves some credit for last season.

It's not just about winning the worst division in baseball. Look at all of the young talent in their lineup and what's still in the farm system. We also have a legitimate playoff starting rotation. The Twins could make a run in this years playoffs, and are setup well for the next several years.

I agree on Kwesi, but he still deserves some credit for last season.

It's not just about winning the worst division in baseball. Look at all of the young talent in their lineup and what's still in the farm system. We also have a legitimate playoff starting rotation. The Twins could make a run in this years playoffs, and are setup well for the next several years.
The Twins drafting has been decent, especially position players. But he was hired primarily on his ability to spot and develop starting pitching and so far that's netted Bailey Ober. And the trades and FA moves have been more whiffs than hits.

Hopefully they make a run. But I wouldn't call the 7 year track record to date a great success. 2019 was fun, but even then they refused to go for it and ran out Randy Dobnak in a play-off game. Outside of that they mostly took advantage of a weak division.

The Twins drafting has been decent, especially position players. But he was hired primarily on his ability to spot and develop starting pitching and so far that's netted Bailey Ober. And the trades and FA moves have been more whiffs than hits.

Hopefully they make a run. But I wouldn't call the 7 year track record to date a great success. 2019 was fun, but even then they refused to go for it and ran out Randy Dobnak in a play-off game. Outside of that they mostly took advantage of a weak division.

Pablo Lopez, Joe Ryan, Sonny Gray, and Kenta Maeda were all whiffs?

I'm not promoting the tanking philosophy, but it can be just as easily = Peyton Manning as Ryan Leaf. 1 spot before, and there were Colts decision makers favoring Leaf. The Dan Patrick Show displays a Leaf/Colts jersey they had ready for that Draft day.

It can be done several different ways, obviously.

You can also just plain strike gold in the draft beyond the top 10 picks.

Brock Purdy was the last player picked in the draft and he's looking like a Pro-Bowler. Shit, it's a small sample size but from what I saw of Aiden O'Connell in the preseason with the Raiders, I would rather O'Connell starting for my team over Justin Fields, Baker Mayfield, Mac Jones, Tannehill, Sam Howell, Desmond Ridder, Kenny Pickett, Jordan Love, et al

Jalen Hurts, Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, Dak Prescott, Jimmy G, all taken after the 1st round, and Lamar Jackson taken with the last pick of the 1st round.

Any discussion of "tanking" for the purpose of improving your draft position by a handful of slots is galactically stupid. Like f'ng epic stupid.

We’re never going to be bad enough. GOOD

Yes, have balls. Trade up to take the franchise prospect. That’s what KC did. That’s the correct model.

All this fake talk of “0-3 = 0% chance” is such bulls__t.

We’re not 0-2, we’re 0-1. NFL sent us to Philly on a Thurs.

Piss off. That doesn’t count. Triple correct when you factor in 17 games and 7 playoff teams.
I don't think the Vikings can stop the Eagles running game on any day of the week in any stadium.

They are what the record says they are, Zero Ws - 2 Ls.

Saying strictly for the purposes of comparing to the (bulls__) historical "if you start 0-2, then ... " and "if you start 0-3, then ...".

For those purposes, we're 0-1. If we lose to Chargers, then 0-2. If then also lose to Jags, then we're 0-3 and that's when I agree it's over, we aren't going to playoffs.

Still will never support tanking.

The Vikings brass had such a good offseason that two games in they had to sign a free agent guard and trade for a backup running back. Well done front office. Good thing you play in the North and you can win the division at 10 maybe even 9 wins.

Yes, Kwesi stock down overall. Positives have been a promising 2023 draft? and tj signing. Overshadowed though by the horrendous 2022 draft and not attending to the interior oline and dline.

It's the end of the first quarter and they have not thrown a ball over 5 yards. No seriously, they haven't thrown a pass over 5 yards.

Last edited:

One time for the defense to finally make a play. The ball is perfect to be picked. Off his hands, off his helmet, right into the hands of the chargers.

Football in this state is unreal. LMAO

It's sad watching the Vikings in short yardage territory. How do they have zero ability to QB sneak there?

That’s a fireable offense there. I figured they’d just try to draw them offsides.

If the Chargers lose Brandon Staley ain’t gonna be allowed back on the team plane based on that one decision.

Top Bottom