All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

on Risner - as most know, there are financial advantages to signing a player after the 1st week of the season - and if Risner was coming off an injury, that makes sense.

the question is what they do with him. from what I can glean, he has mostly played LG. so do the Vikes put him at LG and move Cleveland to RG? or ask Risner to move to RG? assuming Ingram is the odd man out.

hopefully Darrisaw is back. but - if Darrisaw is out - Cleveland was an OT in college, so I suppose it's plausible that Cleveland could slide outside (assuming he would be a better option at OT than the other available options....)

The Vikings brass had such a good offseason that two games in they had to sign a free agent guard and trade for a backup running back. Well done front office. Good thing you play in the North and you can win the division at 10 maybe even 9 wins.

The Vikings brass had such a good offseason that two games in they had to sign a free agent guard and trade for a backup running back. Well done front office. Good thing you play in the North and you can win the division at 10 maybe even 9 wins.
Winning 10 games and getting ripped in the first round is just the dog chasing its tail.

We are in no mans land.

Blah, blah, blah. Same crap, different day.

Blah, blah, blah. Same crap, different day.
So is what I typed factually inaccurate? They knew offensive line and running back was a questionable point and did not address them until they were 0-2 in the season. Maybe they win 1 of the first two games if they do something in the offseason. There’s a big difference been 1-1 and 0-2, especially with the upcoming schedule. Anyway feel free to ignore me on this board and the twins board.

Same here but I have run into many others who say uno changed the rules to a single card. Literally a game changer.
Its our game when we play, so its our rules.

These types change reek of participation ribbonitis to me; newfangled baloney.

Last edited:

So is what I typed factually inaccurate? They knew offensive line and running back was a questionable point and did not address them until they were 0-2 in the season. Maybe they win 1 of the first two games if they do something in the offseason. There’s a big difference been 1-1 and 0-2, especially with the upcoming schedule. Anyway feel free to ignore me on this board and the twins board.
trying to win is never a bad thing. As much as this team needs a franchise QB, its never good for the culture to tank

trying to win is never a bad thing. As much as this team needs a franchise QB, its never good for the culture to tank
I generally agree with that non-tanking sentiment. Although it did pay off huge for the San Antonio Spurs and Chicago Blackhawks in the past, and could also work out for them in the near future.

I generally agree with that non-tanking sentiment. Although it did pay off huge for the San Antonio Spurs and Chicago Blackhawks in the past, and could also work out for them in the near future.
it can work out. Lots of things need to go correctly to happen though

I don't think the Wilfs would ever agree to a "tanking" strategy. KOC and KAM would have to try and pull off a stealth tanking - i.e. tanking without making it obvious while simultaneously lying to the bosses about what they were doing.

in the end, the Vikes have too much offensive talent to have a total collapse. (barring an apocalyptic run of injuries).

so, my gut tells me the Vikes will win enough games to ensure that their draft slot is not high enough to grab one of the top QB's. that will put them in a position where they would have to trade up to get the QB they want. that will be the real question - is the brain trust willing to give up the draft picks required to move up and grab a legit QB?

Plus if it fails, it can lead to a seemingly never ending tanking cycle over decades.
If you trade Cousins, you can still play to win, but will lose.

It's a win/win!

KC got Mahomes after going 12-4.

Tanking is for coward p__sies

Kwesi is coming hard at Derek Falvey in the race for worst local GM. Derek has a large head start though. And really Tim Connelly still wins for the Gobert trade alone. Minnesota sports.

Posssibly have a collusion case if prior to the season MN GM was telling cam that mn will make a space for him in MN

NFL teams don't tank in September and October and really not November either.

Tank for the opportunity to draft Sam Darnold, Trey Lance, Baker Mayfield, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, et al? Just plain stupid.

How many people on the board would bet a month's salary that all of Bryce Young, CJ Stroud and Anthony Richardson are going to be Pro-Bowl QB's?

Tank for the opportunity to draft Sam Darnold, Trey Lance, Baker Mayfield, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, et al? Just plain stupid.

How many people on the board would bet a month's salary that all of Bryce Young, CJ Stroud and Anthony Richardson are going to be Pro-Bowl QB's?
I wouldn't bet much on any of them.

I'd bet a lot on Caleb Williams.

"Just plain stupid". Amen. Well said.

In this age of analytics, has anyone ever figured the actual success rate of first round QBs? How many 2024 first round QBs will have dramatically better careers than Kirk Cousins?

What are the actual odds that your much-desired first round QB will be substantially better than the guy the Vikings have now — the guy many Vikings fans love to hate?

Ryan Leaf.

I’ll say again, because I’m correct:

Tanking for Vikings = draft Ryan Leaf. You’re a fool if you can’t see that that’s how that would go.

"Just plain stupid". Amen. Well said.

In this age of analytics, has anyone ever figured the actual success rate of first round QBs? How many 2024 first round QBs will have dramatically better careers than Kirk Cousins?

What are the actual odds that your much-desired first round QB will be substantially better than the guy the Vikings have now — the guy many Vikings fans love to hate?
Well he is getting old.

The biggest issue is since 2018, they have refused to get that man an OL that can pass protect. Hes not good at running, or even buying time, but is great at throwing the ball.

Well he is getting old.

The biggest issue is since 2018, they have refused to get that man an OL that can pass protect. Hes not good at running, or even buying time, but is great at throwing the ball.

Yes.

Cousins is great at throwing the ball. He is also immobile, basically. If he was a good runner, he would be the whole package. He's not a good runner; he's a statue.

But that doesn't change the premise: what are the odds that a 2024 first round QB is better than Cousins, even with Cousins' immobility factored in? Will any 2024 first round QB end up having a better career than Cousins has had?

I don't know the answer, but I would be willing to wager a small sum that the answer is no.

That being said, his time is running out and the Vikings do have to plan for the future. A rookie QB would eat a lot less cap space, and the resulting crappy won-loss record would enable the team to rebuild by (hopefully) picking some studs in the draft to play defense, o-line, etc.
Hopefully. The draft is a crap shoot, basically.

And... what, then, do you do with Jefferson? Do you back up the Brinks truck to give him the mega-contract he has said he wants, and proceed to pay him huge money annually to play wide receiver on a team with a QB that barely has his learner's permit?

Yes.

Cousins is great at throwing the ball. He is also immobile, basically. If he was a good runner, he would be the whole package. He's not a good runner; he's a statue.

But that doesn't change the premise: what are the odds that a 2024 first round QB is better than Cousins, even with Cousins' immobility factored in? Will any 2024 first round QB end up having a better career than Cousins has had?

I don't know the answer, but I would be willing to wager a small sum that the answer is no.

That being said, his time is running out and the Vikings do have to plan for the future. A rookie QB would eat a lot less cap space, and the resulting crappy won-loss record would enable the team to rebuild by (hopefully) picking some studs in the draft to play defense, o-line, etc.
Hopefully. The draft is a crap shoot, basically.

And... what, then, do you do with Jefferson? Do you back up the Brinks truck to give him the mega-contract he has said he wants, and proceed to pay him huge money annually to play wide receiver on a team with a QB that barely has his learner's permit?
I think you'd find out how good Jefferson truly is. I'm not sold. But if hes that good, he would elevate rookie QB

Ryan Leaf.

I’ll say again, because I’m correct:

Tanking for Vikings = draft Ryan Leaf. You’re a fool if you can’t see that that’s how that would go.
I'm not promoting the tanking philosophy, but it can be just as easily = Peyton Manning as Ryan Leaf. 1 spot before, and there were Colts decision makers favoring Leaf. The Dan Patrick Show displays a Leaf/Colts jersey they had ready for that Draft day.

Also while the Chief's were 12-4 they also had to be willing to give up picks to move up that year. Sean Payton has also stated the Saints would have taken Mahomes with the next selection had he been available. Would have possibly cut down on the Brees era a season or two early.

It can be done several different ways, obviously.

Top Bottom