All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

They will be horrible and drafr a QB. They knew the upcoming draft would be better than young and Stroud. So figured they could give fields one more chance. I certainly like what pace is doing over kwesi

I think both Pace and Kwesi have been pretty terrible.

Rolling with Fields for one more season and waiting to try to draft another QB in the upcoming draft was absolutely the right move though.

FWIW - saw this in the Strib the other day - every time the Vikes started the season 0-2 and what happened.

in 14 previous seasons that started 0-2, Vikes finished with a winning record twice and made the playoffs once.

YearStartFinishPlayoffsCoach
19620-22-11-1Norm Van Brocklin
19650-27-7Van Brocklin
19670-23-8-3Bud Grant
19810-27-9Grant
19840-23-13Les Steckel
20010-25-11Dennis Green/Mike Tice
20020-26-10Tice
20050-29-7TIce
20080-210-6Wild CardBrad Childress
20100-26-10Childress/Leslie Frazier
20110-23-13Frazier
20130-25-10-1Frazier
20200-27-9Mike Zimmer
20210-28-9Zimmer
20230-2Kevin O'Connell
While I do think that starting 0-2 makes it very unlikely the Vikings eventually win a Playoff game this year (never happened before) there are a pair of factors that make starting with two losses less of a death sentence:

- Now a 7 team playoff field with 3 Wild Cards
- Season is now 17 games

17 games & expanded field were also in place in 2021 which helped the last year of the Zimmer era stay relevant in the playoff discussion past Christmas.

Last edited:

^^^^ This guy is s top pass blocker from the guard position. Not sure why he was still out there.

You know I love me some 🎟️, KG, but in this instance, I’m down with PA’s “expertise” vs. your intuition; hope for the best and prepare for the worst😉
PA's expertise is they are going to the Super Bowl every year. LOL

This is the replacement for Udoh, who was a Tackle.

So we signed a Guard?

Wait PA is now singing My Dingaling. Maybe his advice is not sound

I think both Pace and Kwesi have been pretty terrible.

Rolling with Fields for one more season and waiting to try to draft another QB in the upcoming draft was absolutely the right move though.

Starting to worry that the Bears are going to rival the Cardinals and one or two others for the worst record in the league and be right in the thick of the QB lottery come next spring. Not a lot of winnable games on the Bears schedule at the moment. Fields actually looks worse and worse every week and he's approaching 30 games started in the league. An unmitigated dumpster fire, to say the least.

This is the replacement for Udoh, who was a Tackle.

So we signed a Guard?
He will starting for Ingram. He's not Udoh's replacement. But Cleveland can shift to tackle if necessary.

He's starting for Ingram ..... and that's why they waited until Week 3 to sign him? Is he in shape? Knows the playbooks?

Come on. That's fantasy

He's starting for Ingram ..... and that's why they waited until Week 3 to sign him? Is he in shape? Knows the playbooks?

Come on. That's fantasy
He will come off the street and block better than Ingram. That is all you need to know.

Now go sign Akeem Hicks or Ndamakong Suh. If a team tries to run it down our throats, put them out there. They can't start anymore, but they can play in spots.

Also, this Davenport guy is supposed to be strong and physical, get him healthy, and it shouldn't be that bad.

Either it’s not what it looks like.

Or our leadership decided to wait until Week 3 to sign someone off the street, whom no other team wanted, to come in and replace a starter. Also meaning Quessenberry is the starting LT if Darrisaw can’t go. And if Quessen goes down, then … ???

I want the former. You’re glib if you want the latter.

Either it’s not what it looks like.

Or our leadership decided to wait until Week 3 to sign someone off the street, whom no other team wanted, to come in and replace a starter. Also meaning Quessenberry is the starting LT if Darrisaw can’t go. And if Quessen goes down, then … ???

I want the former. You’re glib if you want the latter.
Per Siefert on Barreiro's show, Risner is coming off a slight injury and teams were making sure he was healthy. He wasn't going to be signed to sit in the whirlpool or cold tub.

Per Siefert on Barreiro's show, Risner is coming off a slight injury and teams were making sure he was healthy. He wasn't going to be signed to sit in the whirlpool or cold tub.
He also wasn't coming for the veteran minimum and you don't pay $4 million for a depth guy. He will start by next week if not this week.

Really? $4 is a blow the doors off starting guard in the NFL? Whoa daddy!! 4 Million!!! Starter for sure! Pro bowl!

There was no other free agent possibly available who could come in and start.

But there is this guy, whom no one else wanted, who started a bunch of games … and yet here he is as a free agent, for $4M.

This whole thing is absolutely stupid. If you didn’t want Ingram to start, then you .. you know … actually put more than zero effort in and replace him in the off season!!!! Or draft someone!

Dumb ______

Really? $4 is a blow the doors off starting guard in the NFL? Whoa daddy!! 4 Million!!! Starter for sure! Pro bowl!

There was no other free agent possibly available who could come in and start.

But there is this guy, whom no one else wanted, who started a bunch of games … and yet here he is as a free agent, for $4M.

This whole thing is absolutely stupid. If you didn’t want Ingram to start, then you .. you know … actually put more than zero effort in and replace him in the off season!!!! Or draft someone!

Dumb ______
Risner was one of the top free agent guards on the market this offseason. It's not clear why he didn't sign with anyone (money, injury, etc).

Signing him in the offseason would have costed much more than $4M. I'm not a salary cap guru so someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing getting him for $8-9M was not an option?

Top Bottom