All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

The Vikings are going to be just fine. Lot of hyper-reactive, brow-beaten rubes on this thread. (Which is fine, that's what the internet is for.)

It was the Eagles. It was that DL. It was that OL. It was in Philly. And we scared the hell out of them. We turned the ball over 4 times (including an absolute horseshit rule that needs to be removed from the rulebook). They figured out they could run the ball every play and we couldn't stop it.

Osborn is still the clear #2 WR on the roster. Addison is fast, but he's a shrimp. 175 pounds and that's probably cheating a bit. Can he block, without being cut in half, then? You have to block. You don't just get to be a little fast guy.

Very unfortunate that KJO has been the frequent target of misthrown, uncatachable balls by Kirk in very important situations. Int against Tampa was 100% Kirk's fault, very badly thrown behind. The other one was an uncatchable missile that slipped through his fingertips. The two vs the Eagles, the first one was again thrown behind him, but he could have caught it. The second one was fully KJO's fault. Bummer.

Still think this is a 9-11 win team, playoff team, maybe win a Wild Card game (especially if at home). Obviously if the Lions slip and we manage to win the division, then that's that. Probably same outcome as last year.

Win the next two and the hyper-reactive rubes will be 180 the other way. Yawn
I partially agree with you. I don’t have a huge issue losing on the road to the eagles by one possession. I can live with that and yes there are a lot of overreactions as expected. I can’t help but think however that given this schedule, a home game against Tampa was damn near a must win. I don’t think this team is as bad as many are thinking, but I won’t be surprised if we look back at that game as one that cost us a playoff spot. Hope I’m wrong.

It’s a looooooong season. Crazy stuff happens every year. Not just your team, but every team. Every week is a new season, practically.

Who would’ve thought Rodgers already done???

Enjoy the ride. Don’t be such a catastrophic douche at every little bad thing that happens.

It’s a looooooong season. Crazy stuff happens every year. Not just your team, but every team. Every week is a new season, practically.

Who would’ve thought Rodgers already done???

Enjoy the ride. Don’t be such a catastrophic douche at every little bad thing that happens.
You don't win at any level of football unless you control the line of scrimmage. Our OL and especially our DL are simply overmatched and this is not just an emotional, rash observation.

Outside of Hunter and Harry, what other player do we have that starts on an above average NFL defense? I like the Flores hire but he has so little talent to utilize.

Can we win 7-9 games this year? I think so, but that's what treadmill teams do. A total rebuild of the roster and salary cap might not be what fans want to hear but it might be exactly what this organization needs. Is Kwesi the right guy to oversee that? Not from what we've seen so far.

Don't be a catastrophic douche at every little bad thing that happens everyone.........says the poster who rips on the one player we've picked in the last two drafts who looks to have huge potential in Addison.

The drinks are on me.

Don't be a catastrophic douche at every little bad thing that happens everyone.........says the poster who rips on the one player we've picked in the last two drafts who looks to have huge potential in Addison.

The drinks are on me.
Exactly...and our history of drafting defensive players is absolutely garbage.

@Slim Tubby You think Smith is still a special player? I don’t think that’s true. I think he’s still towards the top of the middle. Don’t get me wrong, that only strengthens your point.

Our defense was putrid last season. It literally could not get worse. And we won 13 games. With the new scheme, we’re slightly better overall. Still not looking great. As you’ve highlighted, we are below the median in talent level.

All the more reason it was objectively required to spend the first round pick on defense.

Instead, we drafted a 175lb reciever.

Who goes 140mph and then lies about having a dog to try to get out of it.

And that’s who you want to trust to pick the next franchise QB?? We’d get Ryan Leaf.

Moreover than that …. the Vikings are a business. Sellouts, huge money at stake. This is not the Jags, this is not the St Louis Rams.

You really think for a second that the Wilfs will ever simply abide by a 1-16 season, and the 10k crowds that would come with that towards the end of season ….. to get a chance to draft the next Ryan Leaf?

Come on, man.

Chess, not checkers.

@Slim Tubby You think Smith is still a special player? I don’t think that’s true. I think he’s still towards the top of the middle. Don’t get me wrong, that only strengthens your point.

Our defense was putrid last season. It literally could not get worse. And we won 13 games. With the new scheme, we’re slightly better overall. Still not looking great. As you’ve highlighted, we are below the median in talent level.

All the more reason it was objectively required to spend the first round pick on defense.

Instead, we drafted a 175lb reciever.

Who goes 140mph and then lies about having a dog to try to get out of it.

And that’s who you want to trust to pick the next franchise QB?? We’d get Ryan Leaf.

Moreover than that …. the Vikings are a business. Sellouts, huge money at stake. This is not the Jags, this is not the St Louis Rams.

You really think for a second that the Wilfs will ever simply abide by a 1-16 season, and the 10k crowds that would come with that towards the end of season ….. to get a chance to draft the next Ryan Leaf?

Come on, man.

Chess, not checkers.
Addison is listed at 5'11, 174# and DeVonta Smith is listed at 6'0, 170#. Your point? And I clearly stated that I don't trust KAM to oversee a rebuild. Do we just curl up into a ball and accept mediocrity or do what's necessary to be better long-term?

I'd throw your chess board away and stick to Connect Four.

OK, who is the blueprint? Again, you’re not allowed to cite bottom barrel franchises.

Who actually did what internet rubes are fantasizing about?? I don’t think there ever has been such a thing. But I could easily be wrong.

Who actually did it?? More importantly, did it work???

OK, who is the blueprint? Again, you’re not allowed to cite bottom barrel franchises.

Who actually did what internet rubes are fantasizing about?? I don’t think there ever has been such a thing. But I could easily be wrong.

Who actually did it?? More importantly, did it work???
Cincy and Jacksonville would be the most recent examples. They bottomed out and then built around a young QB on a cap-friendly contract.

You're 100% right about the Draft being a crapshoot, though. It's one thing to have a premium FRP. It's another thing to evaluate and select the right player. For every Burrow and Lawrence, there are far more Leafs and Jamarcus Russells.

Addison is listed at 5'11, 174# and DeVonta Smith is listed at 6'0, 170#. Your point? And I clearly stated that I don't trust KAM to oversee a rebuild. Do we just curl up into a ball and accept mediocrity or do what's necessary to be better long-term?

I'd throw your chess board away and stick to Connect Four.
tyreek hill is 5'10"

Jacksonville. Come on.

Bengals not sure if much better.

Vikings purposefully tanking is not comparable.

It’s not going to happen. Ever. Waste of time to even talk of it

Rodgers taken #24, Love taken #26.

Not so sure that range isn’t equally likely to be the next franchise. Vastly more realistic for the Vikings in 24 draft. Would expect it.

Meanwhile, enjoy the ride this year. We’ll make the playoffs. You never know, crazy stuff happens

KC went 12-4, winning the AFC West, in 2016. Lost the first playoff game to Steelers.

2017 draft, traded up to #10 to take a stab at a QB. I'll let you Google who they took.

The three seasons prior to 2016, they were 11-5, 9-7, and 11-5. Sure, in 2012 they were 2-14. In the 2013 draft with the #1 overall pick they took an OT. (Who was with them 2013-2020, two time Pro Bowl in that time.)

FWIW - saw this in the Strib the other day - every time the Vikes started the season 0-2 and what happened.

in 14 previous seasons that started 0-2, Vikes finished with a winning record twice and made the playoffs once.

YearStartFinishPlayoffsCoach
19620-22-11-1Norm Van Brocklin
19650-27-7Van Brocklin
19670-23-8-3Bud Grant
19810-27-9Grant
19840-23-13Les Steckel
20010-25-11Dennis Green/Mike Tice
20020-26-10Tice
20050-29-7TIce
20080-210-6Wild CardBrad Childress
20100-26-10Childress/Leslie Frazier
20110-23-13Frazier
20130-25-10-1Frazier
20200-27-9Mike Zimmer
20210-28-9Zimmer
20230-2Kevin O'Connell

2 out of 17. 12% of the season

Can't make it up :ROFLMAO:

Shooter chimes in:

The Vikings, one keen observer reasoned, should come to terms with who they are. Should the team lose to the Chargers, the organization probably has to seriously consider a sort of rebuild, much the same as the Detroit Lions and Chicago Bears have done.

—The Vikings could gut the whole team, which would be painful for at least a couple years. The other option would be to trade players this season but keep core players.

It really would depend on how many years of non-competitiveness owners Zygi and Mark Wilf would be willing to tolerate.

—A hot proposal, should the Vikings get off to a 0-3 start, is trying to get QB Kirk Cousins to waive his no-trade clause and move him and his prorated $20 million salary to the devastated New York Jets, who suddenly are without Aaron Rodgers.

People who know say that deal probably could get the Vikings a third-round 2025 draft pick that could go higher depending on how Cousins plays this season and how far the team goes.

That would be a reasonable trade.

The Jets already have lost their second-round 2024 draft pick via the Rodgers deal with Green Bay. The Vikings definitely would not get the Jets’ first-round pick for Cousins.

—Cousins, 35, becomes a free agent after this season. Moving to a contender for this season would seem prudent for him rather than remain with a Vikings team that might win only a half-dozen or so games. Cousins’ contract is structured so a team can’t put a franchise tag on him.

If he were to get the chance to go to a Super Bowl contender and say no thanks, you would have to wonder whether Cousins, who has grossed well over $200 million in his career, would be thinking about retirement and no further risk of injuries.

—Cousins clearly will not be the Vikings’ quarterback next year. Minnesota’s QB will be either a player they draft in the first round, or perhaps even Arizona’s Kyle Murray, 26, in a trade. Other viable teams for a Cousins trade, should their quarterback go down, could be the Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphins.

—Vikings pass rusher Danielle Hunter, 28, is off to a nice start with three sacks in two games. Jacksonville had real interest in Hunter before he signed a $20 million, one-year deal in July. The Vikings probably could get a second-round 2024 draft pick for Hunter.

—By trading wide receiver Justin Jefferson in order to draft in April either of QBs Caleb Williams of USC or Drake Maye (who started for North Carolina against the Gophers on Saturday), the Vikings would get at least two first-round draft picks. Trading offensive left tackle Christian Darrisaw would result in at least a first-round draft pick, plus maybe a second-round pick.

That’s capital enough to draft a franchise quarterback.

Skol Vikes!!

Shooter chimes in:

The Vikings, one keen observer reasoned, should come to terms with who they are. Should the team lose to the Chargers, the organization probably has to seriously consider a sort of rebuild, much the same as the Detroit Lions and Chicago Bears have done.

—The Vikings could gut the whole team, which would be painful for at least a couple years. The other option would be to trade players this season but keep core players.

It really would depend on how many years of non-competitiveness owners Zygi and Mark Wilf would be willing to tolerate.

—A hot proposal, should the Vikings get off to a 0-3 start, is trying to get QB Kirk Cousins to waive his no-trade clause and move him and his prorated $20 million salary to the devastated New York Jets, who suddenly are without Aaron Rodgers.

People who know say that deal probably could get the Vikings a third-round 2025 draft pick that could go higher depending on how Cousins plays this season and how far the team goes.

That would be a reasonable trade.

The Jets already have lost their second-round 2024 draft pick via the Rodgers deal with Green Bay. The Vikings definitely would not get the Jets’ first-round pick for Cousins.

—Cousins, 35, becomes a free agent after this season. Moving to a contender for this season would seem prudent for him rather than remain with a Vikings team that might win only a half-dozen or so games. Cousins’ contract is structured so a team can’t put a franchise tag on him.

If he were to get the chance to go to a Super Bowl contender and say no thanks, you would have to wonder whether Cousins, who has grossed well over $200 million in his career, would be thinking about retirement and no further risk of injuries.

—Cousins clearly will not be the Vikings’ quarterback next year. Minnesota’s QB will be either a player they draft in the first round, or perhaps even Arizona’s Kyle Murray, 26, in a trade. Other viable teams for a Cousins trade, should their quarterback go down, could be the Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphins.

—Vikings pass rusher Danielle Hunter, 28, is off to a nice start with three sacks in two games. Jacksonville had real interest in Hunter before he signed a $20 million, one-year deal in July. The Vikings probably could get a second-round 2024 draft pick for Hunter.

—By trading wide receiver Justin Jefferson in order to draft in April either of QBs Caleb Williams of USC or Drake Maye (who started for North Carolina against the Gophers on Saturday), the Vikings would get at least two first-round draft picks. Trading offensive left tackle Christian Darrisaw would result in at least a first-round draft pick, plus maybe a second-round pick.

That’s capital enough to draft a franchise quarterback.

Skol Vikes!!
I was following Old Charlie for the first couple of paragraphs, but when he got down to trading Jefferson and Darrisaw, two cornerstones on rookie contracts who might come in handy for a rookie quarterback, well, I think Shooter needs to lie down for a nap.

I was following Old Charlie for the first couple of paragraphs, but when he got down to trading Jefferson and Darrisaw, two cornerstones on rookie contracts who might come in handy for a rookie quarterback, well, I think Shooter needs to lie down for a nap.
I was laughing at those ones, too. Hey everyone, lets trade away our best 24 year old players. It's a great way to rebuild. LMAO

Yeah, also a Cousins trade to the Jets would need to be conditional. I'd want a first round pick if Cousins takes them to the Super Bowl

Kept an eye on all three games at a local establishment. Fields was really bad. Love was a game manager, certainly nothing special today. Goff uncharacteristically threw an interception that turned the game against the Lions.

Next two opponents go down, all three other NFC North go down.

Win next two, right back in it.

Hyper-rubes here will be talking Super Bowl :ROFLMAO:

Danny B is not happy with social media and Vikings players. Let’s do better.

Kept an eye on all three games at a local establishment. Fields was really bad. Love was a game manager, certainly nothing special today. Goff uncharacteristically threw an interception that turned the game against the Lions.

Fields is completely laughable as an NFL QB. I hope the Bears run with it for the rest of this season and into next season as well. It would be classic

Fields is completely laughable as an NFL QB. I hope the Bears run with it for the rest of this season and into next season as well. It would be classic
They will be horrible and drafr a QB. They knew the upcoming draft would be better than young and Stroud. So figured they could give fields one more chance. I certainly like what pace is doing over kwesi

Lots of "experts" had him as a top 10 QB going into this season. Like WTF?

Top Bottom