All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

MLB just updated its Top 100 prospect list and we four of them - not too shabby -

RANK
PLAYER
POSITION
LEVEL
ETA
Brooks Lee
SSAA2024225' 11" / 205 lbs
39Royce LewisSSMLB2023236' 2" / 200 lbs
Emmanuel Rodriguez
OFA+2025205' 10" / 210 lbs
Edouard Julien
2BAAA2023236' 0" / 195 lbs

As long as they are under the threshold for the number of ABs/innings pitched, they are still considered rookies and eligible for the list.

Lee and Royce have always been on - Rodriquez crept on last year in the 90s and Julien is a new addition this year IIRC (Miranda progressed in a similar manner to Julien - dominating in the minors and then being the 94 IIRC ranked prospect before making the team last year and leading us in Ribeyes. The key, it seems to me, is so have less heralded prospects develop into Top 100 players ala Miranda and Julien vs. just relying on the Lee's and the Lewis's in your system; I didn't include Rodriquez as he was one of the top international signings of 2019-2020, per his MLB bio, and that included a $2.5M signing bonus!!

The front office has built a good/very good farm system (#12) again - reminiscent of the glory years, based on the MLB rankings from 2021 (the most recent MLB I could find via a cursory search) - the days of shuttering when we have to call up someone are in the rearview more or less at this point and this is important as both the Tigers and Royals have farms ranked better than us, per the rankings.

These kinds of efforts are positioning us for short-term and long-term success, so an injury or two or slow start doesn't derail the whole train.

They can't develop any pitchers.

They can't develop any pitchers.

Agree to disagree.

Ober, Jax, Moran, Winder all developed - that’s 31%, so that’s not any, by my Alex math.

There are more on the way ala Varland and it’s well known that the farm system was barren before the new front office came in and injuries have slowed down the progress of some arms like Matt Canterino and Balazovic.

Furthermore, when you trade an asset like Azzaez for a staring pitcher, that counts for something on my book.

It’s overcast on NYC today, is it blustery in your locale as well😉?

I thought your post was going to be the twins are still in first after that shit game.

What would we do without you.

Know much less about baseball obviously 🤭🥸🤪

Also feel free to let us all know when you’re as proficient at your vocation as Mr. Durán is 🧐

Correa is killing the offense right now. Not just him but man is he bad right now.
My late father in law was a hall-of-fame high school baseball coach. One time, his star hitter was in an extended slump, and the coach walked up to him in the dugout after he made an out and said something like, "At some point you might want to do something to help the team." The player went on a hot streak right after that. At some point, Rocco needs to take the kid gloves off and challenge Correa to help the team.

My late father in law was a hall-of-fame high school baseball coach. One time, his star hitter was in an extended slump, and the coach walked up to him in the dugout after he made an out and said something like, "At some point you might want to do something to help the team." The player went on a hot streak right after that. At some point, Rocco needs to take the kid gloves off and challenge Correa to help the team.

FWIW -

Read a tidbit in The Athletic in Aaron Gleeman’s column regarding Correra’s slump; Carlos normally starts his offseason hitting in November - that was delayed 6 weeks due to his free agency - which makes sense to me, especially with the ankle drama, that he didn’t want to suffer a possible injury sans a contract.

Rocco said he’s not worried about it, as Carlos has always hit and as baseball is a game of averages, he fully expects a regression to mean of prior seasons.

Correa’s sweet azz play in the third to nab Witt while throwing across his body while landing in right field side of second base is helping the team ( so agree to disagree)- he’s still a Gold Glove caliber SS. This also prevented a run scoring.

Last edited:

Shutting Mahle down for a month. Maeda on the IL, Winder looked God awful today. Louie, we need ya!

Twins have struggled for decades to try to develop their own starting pitching. Now looks like we can feel good about Ober, Varland, and maybe Winder. Makes a huge difference.

Five months yet to go and three of the Central teams are done. Amazing. May, June, July, August, September will be a two team race.

And suddenly the White Sox beat the Rays.

----

Meanwhile, the Twins are now 17-12. Here's how that record would stand up currently in each MLB division...

AL Central: Twins in 1st

AL East: Twins would be in 4th

AL West: Twins would be in 2nd, 1/2 game out

NL East: Twins would be in 2nd

NL Central: Twins would be in 3rd

NL West: Twins would be in 1st

----

Twins run differential (+26) is 3rd in the AL, behind Tampa and Texas. Twins have the 8th best record in the majors, out of 30 teams.

Even though "no one is concerned" I'd put the over/under on Mahle starts before the All-Star break at 1.5
Under is looking like a solid wager, especially factoring in rehab assignment time.

Under is looking like a solid wager, especially factoring in rehab assignment time.

Falvey and Dr Nick Papa Rest wiff again. Ben Johnson-Esqueer incompetence.

Top Bottom