All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

It'll be pretty interesting to see how they handle Ober. They can send him up/down as much as they want, whether it's one time or 50 times, an option year is an option year. If they want, they can call him up to make a start, send him back down and get an extra arm for the bullpen.

He should just be up here. Like AK hes definitively too good for AAA. And hes also not exactly "young" hes more so about to hit his prime age.

Does no good to rot down there. Im confident he can consistently be a 4 starter at worst. But either way, its time to find out. Chilling in AAA does him no good.

It'll be pretty interesting to see how they handle Ober. They can send him up/down as much as they want, whether it's one time or 50 times, an option year is an option year. If they want, they can call him up to make a start, send him back down and get an extra arm for the bullpen.
That's incorrect, the limit is 5 per season.

Update in the article on Mahle below and cool info on Brock Stewart's W.

FWIW -

Rocco said in spring training he was gonna let the starter go longer than last year - the bolded stats below in the article validate him. He's still a young manager and learning and growing, as anyone does in other vocations when they go into management.

Makes sense strategically to have started with Madea and Mahle up here in the rotation to see what they have and Ober at Triple A, since he has options left. I'm guessing they figured one would break down at some point and maybe both, just not at the same time. i think we'll be fine as we have enough depth in the minors and if not, we have enough talent in the farm to acquire a lower level starter in a trade if need be; our 1-3 starters match up well against the rest of the league and that's all you'll need in the post season. I've liked Ober from when they brought him up - good mechanics and it's always difficult in my experience to hit off of such a tall guy - the ball always seems right on top of you.

MINNEAPOLIS — Just as the offense is heating up, the Twins have lost starting pitchers to injury on consecutive days.

Tyler Mahle exited Thursday’s 7-1 victory over the Kansas City Royals at Target Field with right posterior elbow soreness. A day after Kenta Maeda was removed with a right elbow issue, one expected to land him on the injured list, Mahle was pulled after four innings.

Though the injuries cast doubt on the future of the team’s rotation, the biggest immediate impact was forcing the bullpen to cover the final five innings of Thursday’s blowout victory, a task Twins relievers handled with aplomb.

After Trevor Larnach and Max Kepler produced early RBI singles, Byron Buxton blasted a three-run homer and Carlos Correa belted a solo shot off Zack Greinke as the Twins easily won, the fourth victory in five games.

“The stuff wasn’t going in the direction we wanted anymore,” Twins manager Rocco Baldelli said of Mahle. “We thought he might have humped up on a pitch and it didn’t come out the way it normally would. We grabbed him quickly after the fourth. Really when we noticed, the inning was pretty close to being over. And then it ended and we grabbed him. … He was OK. When I told him I preferred to take him out of this ball game, he didn’t fight me on it.”

The past two days aside, the Twins’ starting rotation has played a prominent role in the team jumping out to a 15-11 start. Twins starters entered Thursday tied for second in the majors with 5.6 innings pitched per start and fourth in earned-run average (3.21).

While he’s been inconsistent, Mahle still pitched well enough in his previous four turns to bring a 3.32 ERA and 22 strikeouts in 21 2/3 innings into the outing. He looked good early Thursday, retiring nine of the first 10 he faced, the lone batter reaching on a Correa throwing error.

The pitcher’s fastball velocity, a figure many kept a close eye on throughout the spring and early season after he had shoulder issues last season, reached as high as 94.5 mph when Mahle struck out Bobby Witt Jr. in the third inning, one of six strikeouts.

But when he returned to the mound an inning later, Mahle’s velocity dipped as low as 89.1 mph during an eight-pitch strikeout of Michael Massey. Baldelli identified the area of concern as the posterior, the area in back of the elbow where it meets the triceps.

“It kind of just slowly creeped in,” Mahle said. “It was feeling pretty good, like, through three and then kind of got sore. … It didn’t feel great. I think that’s when we decided that we’ll probably just take me out and be smart about it. It was feeling pretty good up to that point and then just got a little worse. … It’s just inflammation. No one’s really concerned about it. So, we just sit back for a few days, let him calm down and it should be fine.”

Baldelli wasn’t certain whether Mahle would require an MRI. Mahle suggested he wouldn’t, but the Twins are likely to be extremely cautious with the pitcher, who was placed on the IL twice with shoulder inflammation after he was acquired from Cincinnati at the August 2022 trade deadline.

The injury comes a day after the Twins said they’d slow down Maeda, who also is experiencing elbow trouble. In Maeda’s case, the Twins don’t believe the pitcher’s injury is directly related to his Tommy John surgery in September 2021.

Maeda had an MRI on Wednesday that showed a muscle strain and inflammation. But they don’t believe the injury is a reoccurrence of the one that led to Tommy John surgery.

“It’s actually on the complete opposite side of his arm, and a little bit in the back of the tricep area of the elbow where he’s feeling most of the swelling and the discomfort and soreness,” Baldelli said. “That’s what you want to see. I keep saying it, but if you know that someone’s dealing with something in their arm, that’s an area that you can deal with.”

Maeda exited his first start of the season with right arm fatigue earlier this month. After making a second start, the Twins opted to skip Maeda’s turn in the rotation to give him additional time to rest.

Maeda had pitched twice since he was skipped, including allowing a career-high 11 hits and 10 earned runs in Wednesday’s loss. He was pleased with the shape of his off-speed pitches but his fastball averaged 88.5 mph.

Maeda isn’t ready to panic yet. He said other pitchers who’d had Tommy John surgery said they’d experienced similar issues.

“It seems like it’s not anything severe going on, at least in the elbow structure,” Maeda said through an interpreter. “So, that’s good news. Like I said, I still have to talk to the doctor.”

The Twins are likely to place Maeda on the IL soon, which would free them up to promote Bailey Ober back to the majors to pitch in the starting rotation. A good pitcher over parts of the previous 1 1/2 seasons, Ober was outstanding in earning a victory over Washington on Sunday.

With Mahle, the Twins aren’t ready to commit to a plan one way or the other. Were they to dip into the minors, the Twins could turn to Louie Varland, Simeon Woods Richardson or even Brent Headrick, who struck out eight in five innings on Wednesday before he was demoted back to Triple A to make space for Josh Winder, who was activated off the IL on Thursday.

“I’m not ready to set off any alarms right now,” Baldelli said. “We know in baseball we’re going to be dealing with guys that are feeling things and they’re not always going to feel perfect. You’re going to have to figure out the right way to work through the situation. And not every time a guy misses time is it an excessive amount of time. Every time you deal with something it’s going to be different, so you just kind of wait it out and see what you find out and you go on the information you have. I don’t really know and no one does. So, again, we’re going to see how Tyler comes in (Friday) and probably use the next 2-3 days at least to figure out exactly where he’s at before we can know.”

Stewart earns win in return to mound

Don’t tell Brock Stewart that reliever victories are meaningless.

He earned the win and pitched in his first game in the big leagues in more than 3 1/2 years with two outstanding innings in relief on Thursday. Stewart looked sharp in a 28-pitch outing, his first appearance in the majors since Sept. 24, 2019.

A former infielder turned pitcher, Stewart, 31, has smelled the flowers the past few days since learning he’d return to the major leagues. After playing independent baseball in 2020, the right-hander underwent Tommy John surgery in May 2021 and 10 months later needed arthroscopic surgery to remove a bone spur.

Stewart wowed the Twins enough with his fastball velocity for them to sign him last July and bring him back this season. He averaged 95.8 mph and touched 97 mph on Thursday. Stewart also had nine swings-and-misses, including four with his new sweeping slider.

“There were days where I didn’t know if I wanted to keep going through the grind of the whole rehab process,” Stewart said. “But I’m sure glad I did. I always hoped and prayed I’d get back to this moment. To be here now, it’s very special. … I got emotional at different times on the plane so hopefully no one was watching me. It’s definitely awesome to be back here. Now that I’m here, it’s baseball now.”

That must have been something that changed fairly recently (probably due to the latest player's strike). The Yankees sent Albert Abreu up and down 13 times in 2021.
2020 & 2021 due to COVID 19 protocol there were different rules in place. Teams had extra player "Taxi squads".

Prior to 2020 rules were similar to how they are now, but I actually think it was more limited. I think it was 6 total (regardless of years).

I like the new scheduling where you play everyone at least 3 games, but it really hurt the Twins as it means less games against KC, Chicago and Detroit.

I like the new scheduling where you play everyone at least 3 games, but it really hurt the Twins as it means less games against KC, Chicago and Detroit.
It doesn't impact their ability to win the Division as it's the same for all AL Central teams. Their ability to procure a Wild Card or a Bye is certainly diminished.

Kirilloff update - he is scheduled to play back-to-back full 9-inning games with St. Paul.

Assuming no issues, the Twins' trainer said that will satisfy all of their medical concerns. after that, calling him up will be a strictly 'baseball' decision - not health-related.

And - saw this on Twitter - Royce Lewis is playing in extended Spring Training (I think the proper title is Florida Complex League). Assuming no issues (that phrase again), he could begin a minor-league rehab assignment sometime in May.

Also just heard Kyle Farmer being interviewed on the Twins' radio network. He said he is scheduled to get the wires removed from his mouth/jaw in early May, and then could go on a rehab assignment.

Twins' brain trust is going to be facing some interesting decisions.

Twins in rain delay. Hoping to start at 5:05pm CDT.

going to turn off radio. not going to listen to 90 minutes of the Chris Atterbury Rain-Delay show.

Miranda leads the team with 100 at bats. Unfortunately also .604 ops. Needs to step it up or Royce Lewis will be saying hello soon.

Lopez has got to figure out his 1st inning issues. Hes fucking horrendous.

And as I mentioned before this is something that was a big issue last year as well.

Lotta Kepler hate while Correa is the one who takes bad AB after bad AB.

1 garbage time homer dont bail ya out Carlos

Kirilloff update - he is scheduled to play back-to-back full 9-inning games with St. Paul.

Assuming no issues, the Twins' trainer said that will satisfy all of their medical concerns. after that, calling him up will be a strictly 'baseball' decision - not health-related.

And - saw this on Twitter - Royce Lewis is playing in extended Spring Training (I think the proper title is Florida Complex League). Assuming no issues (that phrase again), he could begin a minor-league rehab assignment sometime in May.

Also just heard Kyle Farmer being interviewed on the Twins' radio network. He said he is scheduled to get the wires removed from his mouth/jaw in early May, and then could go on a rehab assignment.

Twins' brain trust is going to be facing some interesting decisions.

If the goal is to win a championship there are no hard decisions

AK and Royce.

Lotta Kepler hate while Correa is the one who takes bad AB after bad AB.

1 garbage time homer dont bail ya out Carlos
Agree. I like Kepler and am happy he's doing well(ish). Correa does need to join the team.

Lot of patient ABs that inning (besides Correa of course).

Love innings like that. Take 3 walks. A double at the right time by Miranda on a hitters count(hope he realizes deeper counts can help him). Sac fly by Kep.

Good stuff.

Ober going tomorrow.

Pushes Ryan back to tuesday now. Kinda liked the idea of a Gray/Ryan weekend kill shot on the Royals.

But happy Ober is back.

Correa holy fucking shit. This dude sucks.

Everyone else taking great ABs. Taking pitches. Bunts. Running.

This fucking guy with the biggest contract taking jackass AB after jackass AB

KC should be livid with that strike out to end the 8th. Of the 7 pitches thrown 1 might have been a strike outside of the 2-2 foul ball.

Home plate ump obviously missed the directive issued to all officials to screw Minnesota teams in all sports.

I can't wait to see the umpire scorecard for this one. They must've handed the Twins at least a statistical run.

MLB just updated its Top 100 prospect list and we four of them - not too shabby -

RANK
PLAYER
POSITION
LEVEL
ETA
Brooks Lee
SSAA2024225' 11" / 205 lbs
39Royce LewisSSMLB2023236' 2" / 200 lbs
Emmanuel Rodriguez
OFA+2025205' 10" / 210 lbs
Edouard Julien
2BAAA2023236' 0" / 195 lbs

As long as they are under the threshold for the number of ABs/innings pitched, they are still considered rookies and eligible for the list.

Lee and Royce have always been on - Rodriquez crept on last year in the 90s and Julien is a new addition this year IIRC (Miranda progressed in a similar manner to Julien - dominating in the minors and then being the 94 IIRC ranked prospect before making the team last year and leading us in Ribeyes. The key, it seems to me, is so have less heralded prospects develop into Top 100 players ala Miranda and Julien vs. just relying on the Lee's and the Lewis's in your system; I didn't include Rodriquez as he was one of the top international signings of 2019-2020, per his MLB bio, and that included a $2.5M signing bonus!!

The front office has built a good/very good farm system (#12) again - reminiscent of the glory years, based on the MLB rankings from 2021 (the most recent MLB I could find via a cursory search) - the days of shuttering when we have to call up someone are in the rearview more or less at this point and this is important as both the Tigers and Royals have farms ranked better than us, per the rankings.

These kinds of efforts are positioning us for short-term and long-term success, so an injury or two or slow start doesn't derail the whole train.

The Mighty Tighty Whities flame out continues in spectacular fashion - now a rollicking 7-20 (that's a 42-game winning %) - so yes, they have lost the division in April.

In addition to their using frying pans as gloves, per our previous discussion, they have an epic problem with free passes, per Ken Rosenthal's article on their likely upcoming firesale -

The White Sox, at 7-19, are not all that difficult to diagnose. Their pitchers’ walk rate entering Thursday was the second highest in the majors. Their hitters’ walk rate was the third lowest. No team, in sum, was worse at controlling the strike zone.

Turns out The Dome was right on this one - Walks Do Haunt👻👻!!

Reisendorf is 87 and lowered their payroll from $193M to $181M and it will be interesting to see how far they go with the rebuild. Their roster construction makes CBJ look like the second coming of John Wooden - a bunch of free swingers and no table setters/pitch takers.

Can you imagine watching 100+ games of the dreck all summer long? Heck, you'd have Uber on speed dial.

Top Bottom