All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Most of the time the proximity to St Paul really doesn't make a difference, for instance the 50% of the schedule the Twins are on the road. Also right now the Saints are in Rochester, NY so it's a plane ride anyway instead of the Green Line express (though I think Headrick could take up to 72 hours to report).

As far as mitigating such a roster move some things that could be done:

- Still give Headrick extra MLB Service time for the rest/recovery
- Create an extra roster spot(s). I have heard it proposed that pitchers (starting or relievers) could in essence be deactivated after high usage days. Right now the roster is 26, but really for most teams (other than the Angels/Ohtani) on any given day when the Starting Pitchers are factored in, only 22 have a chance of playing.
In this case I wonder if Winder even traveled east with the team to Rochester. Might have been the plan for Headrick to pitch this week at some point, then bring Winder over. Logistically it's a little bit easier I guess.

In this case I wonder if Winder even traveled east with the team to Rochester. Might have been the plan for Headrick to pitch this week at some point, then bring Winder over. Logistically it's a little bit easier I guess.
At least being in St Paul, when players are requested to join the Twins on the road it's pretty easy to find a flight from MSP to any Major League city.

I have heard that mentioned as a selling point.

looked up Winder's minor league stats -
this year he's thrown a total of 9 innings between A and AAA - with a 4.00 ERA including 2 HR allowed in 9 innings.

doesn't exactly fill me with waves of optimism.

this year he's thrown a total of 9 innings between A and AAA - with a 4.00 ERA including 2 HR allowed in 9 innings.

I hope he's up for an extra bullpen arm, and the move when Maeda's spot comes up again is to DFA Pagan.

I hope he's up for an extra bullpen arm, and the move when Maeda's spot comes up again is to DFA Pagan.

Im guessing when Maeda spot comes around he will be IL'd.

Also, has anyone noticed Brent Rooker is mashing?!?! Finally has figured it out and hes hitting .310/.423/.707

Im guessing when Maeda spot comes around he will be IL'd.

That wouldn't make any sense to wait, if they know he's injured they will IL him ASAP to get an extra body, or at least no later than his between starts bullpen session.

That wouldn't make any sense to wait, if they know he's injured they will IL him ASAP to get an extra body, or at least no later than his between starts bullpen session.

The extra body at this point would be a starter anyways. So they kinda can.

They already said hes "gonna need rest" so IDK why they would rest him and never make a move. Then again, our management never ceases to amaze.

Now Mahle leaving start after 4.

GET OBER UP HERE.

Mahle at least pitching well lately(albeit bad teams) but Ive said it for weeks it makes no sense to have TWO guys coming off big arm injuries as your 4 and 5 and banking on them going every 5th day. Its massively back firing. And we are not a team hurting for starters.

Let Ober pitch. Mahle and Maeda can then get more rest and work in. Especially Maeda.

I'm not by a television. Any report on why Mahle taken out?

The extra body at this point would be a starter anyways. So they kinda can.

They already said hes "gonna need rest" so IDK why they would rest him and never make a move. Then again, our management never ceases to amaze.
If they just push Maeda"a start back a couple of days, then they won't IL him at all, obviously.

Though now Mahle just got pulled after 4 IP after only giving 1 run with a low pitch count. Maybe his health is suspect which could also require a roster move.

If they just push Maeda"a start back a couple of days, then they won't IL him at all, obviously.

Though now Mahle just got pulled after 4 IP after only giving 1 run with a low pitch count. Maybe his health is suspect which could also require a roster move.

Yeah as I said above it was a rapid velo drop just like last year when his shoulder ended up fucked.

Its borderline negligent to have two guys with big time arm injuries trying to go every 5 days out of the gate when you have legit options in your minors. One of which Ober is without a doubt a better pitching option than Maeda regardless if he can go or not.

Samll 45 AB sample size but..

Gallo absolutely mashing right now is not a fluke if the current K rate can be proven to not be a fluke. Hes worked on his swing since joining the Twins.

So far he has 16 Ks in 45 Abs(35.5% of the time). That might make you chuckle thinking its not good. But this is a guy who has never had a K% below 40 and almost every season is above 43 with a career rate of 44.3%.

If he can sustain that rate to even being below 40%. He will hit at least .225 and with his power. A Gallo at a full season of .225 is very valuable.

We have 3 games this weekend. Why in the world did Duran pitch up 7-1 and throw 16 pitches?

Yeah as I said above it was a rapid velo drop just like last year when his shoulder ended up fucked.

Its borderline negligent to have two guys with big time arm injuries trying to go every 5 days out of the gate when you have legit options in your minors. One of which Ober is without a doubt a better pitching option than Maeda regardless if he can go or not.
For Maeda it's been 18 months since he went down, and he was even potentially trending towards helping out some in September. There really shouldn't have been any question about him being ready and serviceable. His issues don't seem to be his arm either, but lower body. To this point though, other than his first game vs the Marlins, he's not an asset.

Mahle if it's his elbow, then yikes. Depth will be tested.

For Maeda it's been 18 months since he went down, and he was even potentially trending towards helping out some in September. There really shouldn't have been any question about him being ready and serviceable. His issues don't seem to be his arm either, but lower body. To this point though, other than his first game vs the Marlins, he's not an asset.

But with Maeda even if he did help(it was never really going to happen) it was out of the pen. The issue isnt how far removed he is. Its the fact that he has been 18 months removed from through major innings. So he doesnt have the arm build up. Hes naturally lost velo. Its just odd having him go every 5th day cause theres no chance he was ever gonna pitch anywhere close to enough innings to qualify for a era title.

But yeah, not good for Mahle hearing elbow already.

We need a bat and reliever at some point this summer. Would like to not have to starter hunt as well.

He was coming off an injury so I wouldn’t look too much into his numbers there.

Well he’s not a US citizen as he was born in DR and not PR - which is a US territory.

A buddy of my once moved back to Ireland and right afterwards received his notification regarding his US citizenship hearing and two weeks later was back in NYC. When I asked him about it, he explained that the immigration department in any country is one of those “must keep” appointments; he was granted it.

Turns out Maeda's ailment is elbow/forearm soreness.

Ah he
Well he’s not a US citizen as he was born in DR and not PR - which is a US territory.

A buddy of my once moved back to Ireland and right afterwards received his notification regarding his US citizenship hearing and two weeks later was back in NYC. When I asked him about it, he explained that the immigration department in any country is one of those “must keep” appointments; he was granted it.
Yes you would not want to miss this appointment. They won’t need him to beat this miserable KC team.

Now Mahle leaving start after 4.

GET OBER UP HERE.

Mahle at least pitching well lately(albeit bad teams) but Ive said it for weeks it makes no sense to have TWO guys coming off big arm injuries as your 4 and 5 and banking on them going every 5th day. Its massively back firing. And we are not a team hurting for starters.

Let Ober pitch. Mahle and Maeda can then get more rest and work in. Especially Maeda.
It'll be pretty interesting to see how they handle Ober. They can send him up/down as much as they want, whether it's one time or 50 times, an option year is an option year. If they want, they can call him up to make a start, send him back down and get an extra arm for the bullpen.

Top Bottom