All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Brooks Lee a doubles machine. Leading the Texas League with 21. Four doubles ahead of second place.

His overall numbers are just ok though. So Im thinking he doesnt get promoted from AA until we know more about our trade deadline prospect siutations and who stays and goes.

I like Rocco using Duran in the 8th inning against the top of the order.

In late game situations, use your best relief pitcher vs the other team’s best hitters.
Yep, the invention of the save statistic really screwed up how teams managed their bullpen for many years.

I will say, a little freightening who might pitch for us on Saturday.

Coming into the year we had good depth with Ober and Varland waiting in the wings. But due to Maeda and Mahle getting hurt. Our "8th man" isnt just sketchy, its completely unknown.
I'm going to assume it will be Headrick. Which isn't a great option long term but isn't bad for a spot start.

His overall numbers are just ok though. So Im thinking he doesnt get promoted from AA until we know more about our trade deadline prospect siutations and who stays and goes.
Yeah, unless he really heats up I think keeping him at Wichita for the rest of the year is good. Then look to start at St Paul next year with a potential mid-season call up.

Yep, the invention of the save statistic really screwed up how teams managed their bullpen for many years.

There were a lot of simpletons on twitter bitching about using Duran there and not using him for two innings.

Completely oblivious to how good Jax has been and that Jax actually has some better advanced metrics than Duran(obviously Duran is still the priority weapon).

We did it perfectly and as I said yesterday, now both can go today if needed.

Coming into the year we had good depth with Ober and Varland waiting in the wings. But due to Maeda and Mahle getting hurt. Our "8th man" isnt just sketchy, its completely unknown.
Isn't it going to be Maeda?

I saw somewhere that Maeda is scheduled to start another game for St Paul.

Edit: Here it is:
The Twins plan to use an extra starter in their rotation this week, beginning a stretch with 16 consecutive games before their next scheduled off day — but it won't be Kenta Maeda.

Maeda is scheduled to make another rehab start with Class AAA St. Paul on Friday. He pitched four scoreless innings in his latest outing Sunday, allowing three hits and zero walks with five strikeouts in 60 pitches.

Yeah, that's another thing. After handing Steer and Encarnacio Strand to the Reds for nothing, not sure I have confidence anymore in Falvey making the right choices at the deadline regarding trading prospects.

Supposedly hes doing one more rehab start tomorrow. Obviously we could just have him start Saturday for us instead. But based off what I heard they wanted him to do one more in AAA.

Yeah, that's another thing. After handing Steer and Encarnacio Strand to the Reds for nothing, not sure I have confidence anymore in Falvey making the right choices at the deadline regarding trading prospects.
Assuming we're healthy at that point (which seems funny to even write) we shouldn't have to be trading for a starter at the deadline. I'm not really sure what position we could look to upgrade either which puts most of what we'll likely target into a reliever or two. Generally relievers don't require a crazy amount of prospects so it should be hard to screw that up.

Any word on Buxton tonight? It was a fastball to the ribs time to sack up.

Tigers only two scheduled starters are lefties. Need another right handed bat that is not Kyle Garlick.

I saw somewhere that Maeda is scheduled to start another game for St Paul.

Edit: Here it is:

Supposedly hes doing one more rehab start tomorrow. Obviously we could just have him start Saturday for us instead. But based off what I heard they wanted him to do one more in AAA.

Thanks, I had heard on the radio broadcast Provus thought he would make a start for the Twins soon, hopefully on this homestand with no off days.

It won't be Dobnak. He threw yesterday (no earned runs), but overall has been struggling.

Assuming we're healthy at that point (which seems funny to even write) we shouldn't have to be trading for a starter at the deadline. I'm not really sure what position we could look to upgrade either which puts most of what we'll likely target into a reliever or two. Generally relievers don't require a crazy amount of prospects so it should be hard to screw that up.
Correct. Michael Fulmer last year didn't take much. Even if they get a guy like Barlow who's under control for another year, it's probably not going to take a top 10 prospect or anything.

Thanks, I had heard on the radio broadcast Provus thought he would make a start for the Twins soon, hopefully on this homestand with no off days.

It won't be Dobnak. He threw yesterday (no earned runs), but overall has been struggling.

Anyone but Dobnak. Been there, seen that.

At least someone like Headrick has the unknown factor.

Any word on Buxton tonight? It was a fastball to the ribs time to sack up.

Tigers only two scheduled starters are lefties. Need another right handed bat that is not Kyle Garlick.
Just noticed Larnach is not listed on the active roster (says minors for the 40 man roster) so going to assume it's happening today.

Just noticed Larnach is not listed on the active roster (says minors for the 40 man roster) so going to assume it's happening today.

Should be Kepler DFA'd but good to see.

We need Buck this weekend and hopefully a effective Buck for a extended run.

Anyone but Dobnak. Been there, seen that.

At least someone like Headrick has the unknown factor.
Agree. Thought it was an outside chance if it was just a spot start, 1 time deal to somehow get through the Tigers lineup twice without getting shelled.

I'm just gunshy at this point as we have given away Taylor Rogers, Lamonte Wade, Steer, Encarnacio Strand, Brent Rooker for nothing. Rogers has gone downhill but at the time we should've gotten more for him. I suppose there is still a chance Paddack will work out. For sure Falvey better take the medicals seriously this time on any player we look to receive.

I'm just gunshy at this point as we have given away Taylor Rogers, Lamonte Wade, Steer, Encarnacio Strand, Brent Rooker for nothing. Rogers has gone downhill but at the time we should've gotten more for him. I suppose there is still a chance Paddack will work out. For sure Falvey better take the medicals seriously this time on any player we look to receive.

Rogers, Wade and Rooker all dont really bug me.

Rooker is finally really getting it at 28. Do we need a righty? Yes. But we also currently are having trouble getting AK/Larnch/Wallner all up here and consistent playing time from the start of the year. Also hes predicatble massively dipped from his torrid start.

Wade just didnt look good for us. And hes been a little inconsistent even in San Fran. Drawing a shit ton of walks this year though which is helping.

Rogers tanked. Paddack was a solid flyer we needed pitching at that time. Only downside is its made us blindly committed to Pagan.

Rooker is finally really getting it at 28. Do we need a righty? Yes. But we also currently are having trouble getting AK/Larnch/Wallner all up here and consistent playing time from the start of the year. Also hes predicatble massively dipped from his torrid start.

Wade just didnt look good for us. And hes been a little inconsistent even in San Fran. Drawing a shit ton of walks this year though which is helping.

Rogers tanked. Paddack was a solid flyer we needed pitching at that time. Only downside is its made us blindly committed to Pagan.

Yeah, none of us blinked at trading Rooker at the time. Hard to blame Falvey too much on that one. Same with Wade to an extent. Rogers does bug me. Falvey knew Paddack's medicals and still made the trade. (Then Falvey doubles down with injured Mahle 🙄,). At the time Rogers was pitching well, we should've gotten more.

I don't know if it's "the save" per se. the save became an official MLB stat in 1969. But during the 70's, many teams used their 'closer' for multiple innings. guys like Sutter, Gossage, Mike Marshall, Fingers, Eckersley, Lee Smith, etc would routinely work two or even three innings. Mike Marshall threw over 200 innings in relief in 1974. (admittedly, he was a unique character......)

the idea of the one-inning reliever is a more recent development.

it wasn't until the 1980's that the number of saves exceeded the number of complete games. by 1995, there were approximately 4 saves for every complete game.

of course, part of this is that teams used to have a 9 or 10-man pitching staff, so you could not afford to have 1-inning relievers. as teams moved to 12 and 13-man pitching staffs, it was more feasible to have a 'setup' guy, a closer, etc.

and - the rising importance of pitch counts has made a big difference. if the starter is limited to 100 pitches a game, unless that starter is really efficient, you are going to need more relievers.

(Mike Morris would like to say something - take your pitch count and shove it up your..........)

Who's hurt? Why can't Varland pitch Saturday and Lopez Sunday?

I don't know if it's "the save" per se. the save became an official MLB stat in 1969. But during the 70's, many teams used their 'closer' for multiple innings. guys like Sutter, Gossage, Mike Marshall, Fingers, Eckersley, Lee Smith, etc would routinely work two or even three innings. Mike Marshall threw over 200 innings in relief in 1974. (admittedly, he was a unique character......)

the idea of the one-inning reliever is a more recent development.

it wasn't until the 1980's that the number of saves exceeded the number of complete games. by 1995, there were approximately 4 saves for every complete game.

of course, part of this is that teams used to have a 9 or 10-man pitching staff, so you could not afford to have 1-inning relievers. as teams moved to 12 and 13-man pitching staffs, it was more feasible to have a 'setup' guy, a closer, etc.

and - the rising importance of pitch counts has made a big difference. if the starter is limited to 100 pitches a game, unless that starter is really efficient, you are going to need more relievers.

(Mike Morris would like to say something - take your pitch count and shove it up your..........)
I should say the "closer" designation is the issue. i.e. the idea that you can only deploy your top guy in the 9th inning. If the other team's best hitters are coming up in the 7th or 8th, I'd rather use my top reliever there, instead of throwing out a lesser guy and hoping you still have the lead in the 9th.

The timing of the Rogers trade was the biggest issue. If they made it in December, fine. Go sign a different closer. Trading him on Opening Day meant you had no closer and it was Pagan by default. And he train-wrecked your season. That makes it a bad trade. And they have compounded it by letting their ego demand they keep him despite a mountain of evidence that he's one of worst relievers in baseball.

The Wade thing was just dumb. You traded a useful ML player for a dud.

They're in a stretch of something like 16 days without a day off so they want to give pitchers an extra day.
:rolleyes:. The All Star break is in 3 weeks. Despite the increased innings they still rarely let anyone go over 100 pitches. I think they'll all be fine.

:rolleyes:. The All Star break is in 3 weeks. Despite the increased innings they still rarely let anyone go over 100 pitches. I think they'll all be fine.
A lot of teams do this. I don't have a big problem with it. 16 days in a row (and 22 in 23) is a lot.

A lot of teams do this. I don't have a big problem with it. 16 days in a row (and 22 in 23) is a lot.
If it works out with Maeda to go 6 man for a while, fine. But then wait until he is ready. It seems they are forcing it. Kicking away a game to the Tigers would be foolish.

The timing of the Rogers trade was the biggest issue. If they made it in December, fine. Go sign a different closer. Trading him on Opening Day meant you had no closer and it was Pagan by default. And he train-wrecked your season. That makes it a bad trade. And they have compounded it by letting their ego demand they keep him despite a mountain of evidence that he's one of worst relievers in baseball.

The Wade thing was just dumb. You traded a useful ML player for a dud.
I had zero problem trading Wade because he probably was never going to get playing time. It would have been nice to get something more for him but I also don't think many times wanted him that badly.

Top Bottom