All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

What’s with the weird start times today and tomorrow? It’s usually 1:10, not 12:10 and then tomorrow starts at 6:10 instead of 6:40.

What’s with the weird start times today and tomorrow? It’s usually 1:10, not 12:10 and then tomorrow starts at 6:10 instead of 6:40.

I think 12:10 weekday games have been a more common thing for us lately.

The 6:10 though I have no idea. If you didnt comment this I would have tuned in half hour late tomorrow.

Vazquez lmao

When we have a guy on 1st and less than 2 outs I consider anything that isnt a groundball a win when that loser bats. So Ill take the pop up. Inning still has life now.

Vazquez lmao

When we have a guy on 1st and less than 2 outs I consider anything that isnt a groundball a win when that loser bats. So Ill take the pop up. Inning still has life now.

Jinx. Michael A hits into a DP

Going back to the days of when the HHH Dome opened in 1982 virtually every weekday afternoon game has been at 12:10 (or 12:15) in order to not make afternoon rush hour a complete cluster.

Home opener is an exception.

I think 12:10 weekday games have been a more common thing for us lately.

The 6:10 though I have no idea. If you didnt comment this I would have tuned in half hour late tomorrow.
You’re right about the weekday games. Thought they were always at 1:10.

Big 6 innings from Ober.

Bounced back after the back to back homers and a lot of pitches in the 2nd. It was pretty imperative that he went 6 today with the lack of off days.

Only used De Leon and Winder yesterday out of the pen.

You’re right about the weekday games. Thought they were always at 1:10.
I can't explain the 6:10 game tomorrow. Maybe they are just trying stuff out like the Friday afternoon game they had scheduled for 3:10 against the Royals, which was rain delayed anyway.

It's a BSN game, so does not seem TV driven.

The Brewers fan in the background at :50. You love to see it.
At about the :58, in the brewer dugout, some player or coach or turns away quickly. It's quick. Would have love to see a better shot of that.

Twins just beat the Brewers again. This time it was by a score of 4-2.

Boom. 1 good inning offensively then the pitching did the rest.

6 good from the starter. Stewart/Duran/Jax. Thats the recipe to win.

All 3 had efficient outings as well so they should all be availble when next needed.

I think we can all agree that pulling an effective pitcher constantly during the 3rd time through the opposing team's lineup was a super successful failed experiment.

Really hoping Lopez can figure things out and get back to form to give us a 4th reliever.

Unlike with Jax, its much more up in the air if he will though.

Jax had objectively awful luck, soft contact and excellent underlying metrics. Lopez has just been baaaad.

But hes got it in him so I hope.

I think we can all agree that pulling an effective pitcher constantly during the 3rd time through the opposing team's lineup was a super successful failed experiment.
It really helps when the starting pitchers are exhibiting success during the first 2 times through the order.

40% of the Twins Starting Rotation in 2022 (Bundy & Archer) even getting to 5 IP was a huge accomplishment. This year they have 3 starting pitchers with sub 3.00 ERAs (Ryan, Gray & Ober). 2022 none were under 3.00, though Gray (3.08) & Ryan (3.55) were no slouches.

Pretty obvious why starters are being allowed to go 6+ innings more often. They're better.

3rd time through the order against:
2022 - .825 OPS
2023 - .680 OPS

That’s why. In fact starters have a lower OPS against the 3rd time through this year than the 2nd time through last year.

Really hoping Lopez can figure things out and get back to form to give us a 4th reliever.

Unlike with Jax, its much more up in the air if he will though.

Jax had objectively awful luck, soft contact and excellent underlying metrics. Lopez has just been baaaad.

But hes got it in him so I hope.
Don’t forget Thielbar. If he can get healthy and Lopez is at least solid, the bullpen is in decent shape. But there’s such a drop off after those guys.

Don’t forget Thielbar. If he can get healthy and Lopez is at least solid, the bullpen is in decent shape. But there’s such a drop off after those guys.

Theilbar is just a tough one to factor for because hes now been injured twice and hes also pretty situational.

But yes, we do need him back. Moran as the only lefty is fucking terrifying. Because you know within 1 batter if hes got it or not every single outing.

I think we should def be looking at lefties in the market. Chapman would ideal but probably too steep. Someone like Hand(who we shoulda just signed in off season) much more reasonable.

I am NOT saying that the Twins have turned a corner, but -

they have won 4 of the last 5. Correa is starting to hit.

next up - 4 with Detroit (.409 winning %). then 4 with Boston (.485 win %). then 3 more with Detroit. that's 11 straight against teams with losing records.

after that, things get tougher - 9 of the next 12 games vs teams with winning records.

so the Twins have a chance to build up a little cushion in the Central, but they need to take advantage of the next 11 games.

I like Rocco using Duran in the 8th inning against the top of the order.

In late game situations, use your best relief pitcher vs the other team’s best hitters.
This is the new age type of thinking I do appreciate.

Definitley not a pinch hitting a left handed hitter that sucks for a righty that is one of your best hitters

This is the new age type of thinking I do appreciate.

Definitley not a pinch hitting a left handed hitter that sucks for a righty that is one of your best hitters
It's not working that's for sure. Pinch hitters are hitting .196 with a .619 OPS.

I will say, a little freightening who might pitch for us on Saturday.

Coming into the year we had good depth with Ober and Varland waiting in the wings. But due to Maeda and Mahle getting hurt. Our "8th man" isnt just sketchy, its completely unknown.

Brooks Lee a doubles machine. Leading the Texas League with 21. Four doubles ahead of second place.

Top Bottom