All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

They'll probably never do it but I would try piggybacking Varland and Maeda for a start or two to see how it goes. Varland's numbers the 3rd time through the order are horrible.

They weren't going to let Jax throw a second inning when it was his 3rd appearance in 4 days. So the options were Pagan, De Leon, Winder and Lopez for the 8th and 9th innings.
DeLeon and even Winder are better options in that case. There's zero excuse for keeping Pagan at this point. A string of scoreless outings in meaningless games means nothing. He's only entered a game the Twins were leading 4 times all year and he has two spectacular blown saves.

Are you daft, dude?

Now is the time to sign him to a cheap extension.

His stuff is electric ⚡️; all the batters say so.
So nasty. Just a few unfortunate batted ball outcomes. Poor guy. So unlucky.

DeLeon and even Winder are better options in that case. There's zero excuse for keeping Pagan at this point. A string of scoreless outings in meaningless games means nothing. He's only entered a game the Twins were leading 4 times all year and he has two spectacular blown saves.
He's either really good or really bad. Very little in between. He's had 24 appearances this year and has given up a run only 5 times. He should never be in high leverage situations.

They weren't going to let Jax throw a second inning when it was his 3rd appearance in 4 days. So the options were Pagan, De Leon, Winder and Lopez for the 8th and 9th innings.

I think Jax may have if ROyce doesnt make that brutal throw.

He had 2 outs on like 6 pitches. Proceeded to quickly get Chapman after too.

Our D really let us down yesterday as well

This week is absolutely must gain ground week or heads have to actually roll.

We have brewers and Tigers at home for 6

Guardians play 6 games at the Padres and Dbacks

White Sox play 6 at Dodgers and Mariners

At an absolute minimum we need to gain 1 game on both and even that would be disappointing.

Ponce has proven his mettle thus far and he should have got the 8th instead.

I know this will never happen but:

considering that all the fans know better than the manager and the front office, maybe it's time to bring back this promotion, from the greatest showman in baseball history, Bill Veeck.

Grandstand Managers Night.
A quick glance at the box score of the Philadelphia Athletics and St. Louis Browns game on Aug. 24, 1951 would suggest that nothing was out of the ordinary. It seemed to be a typical Friday game, between two teams who were far out of playoff contention.

But with Bill Veeck at the helm of the St. Louis Browns, that game was anything but typical.

On that day, Veeck orchestrated “Grandstand Managers Night,” a promotion which allowed fans to vote on key decisions during the course of the game, using placards which read “yes” or “no.”

Over 1,000 “grandstand managers” sat in a special section behind the Browns dugout, while Browns manager Zack Taylor relaxed in a rocking chair in the next box over, in casual clothing and a pipe in his mouth, as he enjoyed his night off.

The fans began their short-lived managerial careers by deciding the lineup of the game. They wrote their choices on lineup cards, delivered to the Browns prior to the game. After tallying fan responses, a lineup was decided on.

All things considered, the managers didn’t do a bad job, as the majority of their decisions were the right ones. They ruled for the Browns infield to play back and try for a double play when there were two men on base for the Athletics – and Pete Suder hit into a double play to end the inning.

They also advised catcher Sherm Lollar not to attempt a steal from first base to second, due to his slow speed. Lollar would drive in two runs that game.

Joey Gallo is the only Twin even on the chart. Yikes.

Mahle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah. Also Steer with NL rookie of the month in May. Chase Petty looking really good as well for the MiL Reds. Time will tell but looking really good for the Reds at this point for sure. Suggest Falvey quickly hang up the phone if Reds GM is on the line going forward.

Last edited:

Oh yeah. Also Steer with NL rookie of the month in May. Chase Petty looking really good as well for the MiL Reds. Time will tell but looking really good for the Reds at this point for sure. Suggest Falvey quickly hang up the phone if Reds GM is on the line going forward.

Petty for Gray was more than understandable. We wanted to try to be competitive now and Gray has been great as a Twin. He did get hurt a lot last year which sucks. But hes pitched great.

No issues with that.

Steer and Encarnocion for fucking Mahle is fireable though.

Petty for Gray was more than understandable. We wanted to try to be competitive now and Gray has been great as a Twin. He did get hurt a lot last year which sucks. But hes pitched great.

No issues with that.

Yeah, and we knew going in that Mahle had health issues. Just can't make that trade, no excuse.

Apparently Garlick was sent down. Nothing official yet but everyone is assuming Gallo will be back.

No issues with that.

If Mahle contributes to a 2022 and 2023 play-off run, it's a steep but acceptable ransom. If you got yourself duped into trading for a pitcher with a bad arm, it's fireable. Especially when it's the second time in 3 months.

If Mahle contributes to a 2022 and 2023 play-off run, it's a steep but acceptable ransom. If you got yourself duped into trading for a pitcher with a bad arm, it's fireable. Especially when it's the second time in 3 months.

Yeah I mean its pretty well known at this point we ignore medicals and are overall stupid.

Mahle and Maeda both came off arm injuries for this season. Both were not sharp in Spring training.

We tossed them both in the rotation to make full starts on 4 days rest instead of using Ober who was clearly our best pitcher in spring. Both get hurt right away.

Its jsut a really stupidly run organization. Will do anything to not use young talent.

Yeah I mean its pretty well known at this point we ignore medicals and are overall stupid.

Mahle and Maeda both came off arm injuries for this season. Both were not sharp in Spring training.

We tossed them both in the rotation to make full starts on 4 days rest instead of using Ober who was clearly our best pitcher in spring. Both get hurt right away.

Its jsut a really stupidly run organization. Will do anything to not use young talent.

Doogie on SkorNorth indicated that the Twins planned all along to work Ober into some spot MLB starts in later April once there were fewer/no off days.

Additionally, neither Mahle nor Maeda made a single start in 2023 on only 4 days rest. Each had a minimum of 5.

I think it's too early to call it steep. One guy hasn't even made his debut yet.

Well, Gallo off the IL and Garlick back down to St. Paul. Great. No one left on the roster who just "mashes" left hand pitching. If the Brew Crew had any sense, they'd start Teddy Higuera tonight.

Doogie on SkorNorth indicated that the Twins planned all along to work Ober into some spot MLB starts in later April once there were fewer/no off days.

Additionally, neither Mahle nor Maeda made a single start in 2023 on only 4 days rest. Each had a minimum of 5.

4 or 5 it wouldnt matter. We used a 5 man. Where two of them clearly didnt have arm strength. Per usual it back fired in a big way.

The organization is continually stupid and continually makes the same mistakes.

Ober should have been up here. Guess what...........coulda rotated all 3.

Well, Gallo off the IL and Garlick back down to St. Paul. Great. No one left on the roster who just "mashes" left hand pitching. If the Brew Crew had any sense, they'd start Teddy Higuera tonight.

Well, Garlick didnt mash them either.

Its actually a positive development for us. Now we dont have to worry about Rocco pulling blantantly better baseball players inexplicably in the 6th inning so Kyle Garlick can ground out vs a lefty.

I think it's too early to call it steep. One guy hasn't even made his debut yet.

That guy is hitting .362/.427/.735 in 199 AAA plate appearances this year and

.328/.388/.623 for his minor league career.

Its more than ok to call the trade an complete abomination.

We have zero offense or right handed options outside our brittled superstars.

It was a horrendous trade. Obviously he isnt gonna slash that in the big leagues. But the guy is stud and Mahle quite frankly isnt good and was clearly hurt.

I’m pretty sure I could find an article on The Athletic that concurs.

Additionally, as noted as nauseum, Ober have options left, while Mahle and Maedea didn’t.

Last edited:

I’m pretty sure I could find an article on Tge Athletic that concurs.

Additionally, as noted as nauseum, Ober had options left, while Mahle and Maedea didn’t.

1. Thats again, classic stupid logic implored by the Twins and apparently people who dont know sports. You dont use "options" as an excuse to make your team actively worse. Same with the Gordon fear.

2. They didnt need to be "optioned". Maeda especially belongs in a bullpen. Hes old, with a bum arm and has experience out of the pen. Should have began the year in the bullpen not in the minors.

Helps not having a one track mind.....optioning them was never mentioned.

You have to wait a couple of years to see how it shakes out, as we’ve seen innumerable players who have a “Sophomore Slump” - Miranda, Joe Charbenaeu, Shane Spencer et al, but nobody has any patience anymore - is soooo Fing tedious.

That guy is hitting .362/.427/.735 in 199 AAA plate appearances this year and

.328/.388/.623 for his minor league career.

Its more than ok to call the trade an complete abomination.

We have zero offense or right handed options outside our brittled superstars.

It was a horrendous trade. Obviously he isnt gonna slash that in the big leagues. But the guy is stud and Mahle quite frankly isnt good and was clearly hurt.
The key parts to my point highlighted. He looks like he could be a stud but he certainly wouldn't be the first to have a great minor league career without doing a lot in the Majors. I'm just saying it's a little early to declare what was given up as steep IMO. In a couple years I might think differently.

I'm not disagreeing the trade appears to be really bad and we certainly didn't get much of anything out of Mahle.

4 or 5 it wouldnt matter. We used a 5 man. Where two of them clearly didnt have arm strength. Per usual it back fired in a big way.

The organization is continually stupid and continually makes the same mistakes.

Ober should have been up here. Guess what...........coulda rotated all 3.
There's was no need to go with more than a 5 man rotation (costing a bullpen arm) with the days off.

There's plenty to be critical of the Twins front office without making junk up.

Top Bottom