All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Oh, if it's about patriotism then much respect/sympathy. Still kinda strange though.

To clarify, my point was that their egos were more important than anything else involved, including the flag

Didn’t realize Royce was that close - Miranda needs to add that 15 pounds of baby fat back and get that mojo going.

I see Castro >Solano, strictly due to position flexibility and vs. Solano’s stick being past its “sell by date” & below average first slacker.

This fits the model most teams use, evaluate your team the first two months of the season and tweak it in June/July as need be.

We have holes, but at least we’re not the Mets whose office is anemic and just hot swept by the Tiggers

I forgot Castro was a switch hitter. Solano is hitting .253 to Castro's .195, but Solano's OPS is only slightly better - .637 to .630. so yeah, I could see them keeping Castro on the basis of flexibility and being a switch-hitter.

salary is about a wash. Solano $2-mill and Castro $1.8-mill.

lot of people on Twitter calling for Brooks Lee to be brought up from AA, but he's only played 25 games, so I'd like to see him get a little more work in the minors.

I forgot Castro was a switch hitter. Solano is hitting .253 to Castro's .195, but Solano's OPS is only slightly better - .637 to .630. so yeah, I could see them keeping Castro on the basis of flexibility and being a switch-hitter.

lot of people on Twitter calling for Brooks Lee to be brought up from AA, but he's only played 25 games, so I'd like to see him get a little more work in the minors.
I've mentioned it before but he's only played at SS too so getting called up to play 3B or any other positions after never playing it in the minors would be difficult.

I would think they’d want Brooks to play regularly as well now also. It’s nice that we can even have guys like that in the pipeline now.

Yeah, time and place. That is not the time and place.
Just a little input on this. This gag was done at almost all of my son's Legion games a few years back. This kids had a blast with it and it was actually quite comical. It never caused a delay and no disrespect to anything as it was all after the anthem. It was two guys acting like fools having some fun. I looked at it like the fun had during rain delays and such. The fact ejections and fines are occurring after this one is ridiculous. Just my take.

Just a little input on this. This gag was done at almost all of my son's Legion games a few years back. This kids had a blast with it and it was actually quite comical. It never caused a delay and no disrespect to anything as it was all after the anthem. It was two guys acting like fools having some fun. I looked at it like the fun had during rain delays and such. The fact ejections and fines are occurring after this one is ridiculous. Just my take.

I guess the question would be if there was a delay. If not, you may certainly have a point imo.

When did they start playing the anthem before legion games? My old man coached my hometown team until 2010 and we never did it at home or on the road, had it done at districts/state or at our July 4 tournament.

I think playing it before Legion games would be a bit pedantic IMO and yes I drank at a Legion as a guest and know that they Rep vets. My dad was a vet during the Korean War and contributed mightily to the base’s athletic teams (think The Longest Yard with military bases instead of prisons).

When did they start playing the anthem before legion games? My old man coached my hometown team until 2010 and we never did it at home or on the road, had it done at districts/state or at our July 4 tournament.

I think playing it before Legion games would be a bit pedantic IMO and yes I drank at a Legion as a guest and know that they Rep vets. My dad was a vet during the Korean War and contributed mightily to the base’s athletic teams (think The Longest Yard with military bases instead of prisons).
Have done it at every Legion game in ND that I’ve attended over the years. Babe Ruth games before that. That’s a lot of baseball games. Don’t disagree with you, though.

Have done it at every Legion game in ND that I’ve attended over the years. Babe Ruth games before that. That’s a lot of baseball games. Don’t disagree with you, though.

Thanks for clarifying, as my reference was to my experience in MN.

If you think our offense, blows at least we ain’t the Padres, who are batting.223 with the following: Machado, Soto, Bogarts and Tatis Jr. Ugh

The Twins are 30th in BA (out of 30 teams), 29th in OBP and 21st in SLG. They're around the middle of the pack in runs scored but, like last year, they're so inconsistent. When they're bad, they're really bad. They average 4.3 runs a game but nearly half (17 of 35) games they have scored 3 or fewer runs.

The Twins are 30th in BA (out of 30 teams), 29th in OBP and 21st in SLG. They're around the middle of the pack in runs scored but, like last year, they're so inconsistent. When they're bad, they're really bad. They average 4.3 runs a game but nearly half (17 of 35) games they have scored 3 or fewer runs.

They also score the highest % of runs in baseball on homers.

This is an absolutely wretched lineup.

Correa and Miranda would be unplayable in most lineups they are that bad. They dont take pitches. They dont make pitchers work. I think Correa is hitting like .160 with RISP.

At some point we have to make the hitting coach the sacrificial lamb when vets like Correa dont care to try and work on things.

Great first 3 innings from Varland

Like Ryan, it seems his kryptonite is mostly the long ball. Joe has been limiting those much more this year, hopefully Varland can follow suit and give good starts.

Correa with RISP again. Just sit him for like a week force him to figure his shit out.

I was glad to see that Gallo could produce early in the year so all the beat writers could write their fawning pieces on him and show how smart twins were to sign him. Being in a little 0-28 stretch they may not get a chance to do that again.

There we go Miranda nice swing.

Also my pet peeve. Polanco got fucked. Wacha had thrown like 7 straight balls. Ump gives him a strike to Polanco that was blatantly high.

Still leave runners on second and 3rd with 1 out haha

Have we ever considered drafting a good catcher since Mauer?? Or just trotting out guys like Vasquez who cant hit the ball 100 feet to save children the permanent strategy??

What an outing by Varland. Huge for his confidence I hope.

And hey, great managing Rocco!! Thats feeling out the game and riding your starter. Love it.

That said, now its Falvine's turn to do their jobs and get us a lefty reliever.

There we go Miranda nice swing.

Also my pet peeve. Polanco got fucked. Wacha had thrown like 7 straight balls. Ump gives him a strike to Polanco that was blatantly high.

there is a Twitter account called Umpire Scorecards. after every game, they post a graphic showing how each umpire did in calling balls and strikes, with ratings for accuracy and consistency.

almost every game, there are more pitches that are called strikes but should be balls. the vast majority of umps have a big strike zone. some of that is due to inconsistency, but there are some umps who every game give the pitcher an extra 3-4" to the inside or outside.

if you're on Twitter, it's a fun account to follow, along with my other favorite, Would It Dong? which tracks home runs.

there is a Twitter account called Umpire Scorecards. after every game, they post a graphic showing how each umpire did in calling balls and strikes, with ratings for accuracy and consistency.

almost every game, there are more pitches that are called strikes but should be balls. the vast majority of umps have a big strike zone. some of that is due to inconsistency, but there are some umps who every game give the pitcher an extra 3-4" to the inside or outside.

if you're on Twitter, it's a fun account to follow, along with my other favorite, Would It Dong? which tracks home runs.

Ironically I think this ump has done pretty damn good tonight. Will see if the score card agrees.

Just a pet peeve when they seem to give the pity strike to bail a pitcher out. See it a lot.

Great AB's from AK tonight, only a walk to show for it so far but really working for good pitches.

Take note Carlos.

Is there any young hitting talent in the minors?

Miranda gets beat on an attempted bunt and they stole 3rd base cause he had no idea the runner was going behind them. Then the very next pitch it’s a safety squeeze and the runner that stole 3rd scores. Man that’s not a great look.

This is such a stupid baseball team.

They just stole a base on us because we abandoned 3B for a bunt. Fucking grad school shit.

Top Bottom