All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Umpire Scorecards agrees with you that the Ump - Tripp Gibson - was quite good on ball and strike calls.

of 109 pitches that were called as balls, there were 5 that should have been called strikes
of 46 pitches that were called strikes, there were 2 that should have been called balls

so 148 of 155 pitches taken were called correctly - a 95% accuracy rate which is better than the 'average' umpire. based on 'run expectancy,' the missed calls slightly favored the Padres.

interestingly, all of the "missed" pitches were near the top of the strike zone.

Wow. Glad I'm not an umpire. A lot of accountability for a very difficult job.

Wow. Glad I'm not an umpire. A lot of accountability for a very difficult job.
Definitely difficult. Most of my issues with balls/strikes is consistently. It seems the past week or two the Twins have seen an ump be consistent most of the game, then make a few really bad ball/strike calls against them. It happened in an at-bat with Kepler a few games ago. Ump was really good all game, then essentially stole an at-bat from Kepler by calling two pitches strikes that were 3-4 inches outside and something he hadn't called all game.

If an ump is consistent, even if he's technically not making the right calls, it's easier to live with because the hitters know what to expect.

They chose to have Ober rot in the minors all while he was great last year. Our best in spring. Great in AAA and Maeda and Mahle come off arm procedures.
Having Ober throw 17.2 innings for St Paul is the definition of "rot in in the minors"? I hope he can overcome that travesty.

Definitely difficult. Most of my issues with balls/strikes is consistently. It seems the past week or two the Twins have seen an ump be consistent most of the game, then make a few really bad ball/strike calls against them. It happened in an at-bat with Kepler a few games ago. Ump was really good all game, then essentially stole an at-bat from Kepler by calling two pitches strikes that were 3-4 inches outside and something he hadn't called all game.

If an ump is consistent, even if he's technically not making the right calls, it's easier to live with because the hitters know what to expect.

Very true.

Having Ober throw 17.2 innings for St Paul is the definition of "rot in in the minors"? I hope he can overcome that travesty.

Yes, he should have opened with us. Hes one of our 5 best pitchers. It took 2 injuries to get him up here.

But yeah we already know you are not a numbers guy. Just follow Falvine into the trenches of incompetence.

Yes, he should have opened with us. Hes one of our 5 best pitchers. It took 2 injuries to get him up here.

But yeah we already know you are not a numbers guy. Just follow Falvine into the trenches of incompetence.
I did not state anywhere that "I am not a numbers (stats) guy".

See post 1395 in which I posted a link that has a vast amount of baseball stats. I started reading the Bill James Abstract in 1982. I adore stats.

See post 1395 in which I posted a link that has a vast amount of baseball stats. I started reading the Bill James Abstract in 1982. I adore stats.

May the Stats be with you!

Forget the analytics nerds and draw the line-up from a hat tonight Rocco.

Now Correa is getting thrown out at home for the third out on not that close of a play. My goodness.

Machado at a very slow jog by the time he reaches first on that grounder. Sprinting to first used to be a given.

Lopez with 6 shutout innings, despite struggling with his control all night long👍

Morneau with great insight about how you need to keep upbeat when hitting as you are successful if you succeed 3 out of ten times - so much of it is mental and if you played competitively then his comments likely especially resonated with you.

As folks much smarter than me have opined, it is the hardest athletic feat in sports. Don’t believe me ask one of the best athletes ever in arguably the sport with the best athletes (basketball) named MJ.

Last edited:

Lopez with 6 shutout innings, despite struggling with his control all night long👍

Morneau with great insight about how you need to keep upbeat when hitting as you are successful if you succeed 3 out of ten times - so much of it is mental and if you played competitively then his comments likely resonated with you.

As folks much smarter than me have opined, it is the hardest athletic feat in sports. Don’t believe me ask one of the best athletes ever in arguably the sport with the best athletes (basketball) named MJ.

Morneau brings so much to the booth. An education listening to him every night.

Morneau brings so much to the booth. An education listening to him every night.

He’s a pleasure to listen to. Read an article in The Athletic, how he made a legit ice rink in his backyard for “the kids” - meaning him, Mayer and the plethora of NHL Minnesotans who retired back home - he even bought a Zamboni🤣.

Here are two links via YouTube with a behind the scenes look -

Tony Olivia and Kirby Puckett are my favorite twins. For some reason that Olivia commercial bugs me, feels to me like Olivia is portrayed like a soft minded geriatric

He’s a pleasure to listen to. Read an article in The Athletic, how he made a legit ice rink in his backyard for “the kids” - meaning him, Mayer and the plethora of NHL Minnesotans who retired back home - he even bought a Zamboni🤣.

Here are two links via YouTube with a behind the scenes look -

Huh, interesting. Sad how injuries derailed the careers of the M & M boys.

I would never throw a fastball below the belt against Vazquez. He can’t lay off high fastballs.

Slash line was an unfamiliar term.

You "disagreed" with the notion that Mirandas numbers were putrid. You ignored AK being a career .600 slugger in the minors when I said hes blantatly too good for that league(whether hes good enough here still has to be proven).

Look at that AK since hes been called up its been good AB after good AB. Lotta walks. Now a game winner. Miranda can enjoy his cab rides.

Big win. Couldnt let another get away. Pitching excellent again.

Offense still putrid. But we got it done with the clutch hits late. AK and Solano.

This division is bad but our sad sack FO cant use that as an excuse to wait til July 31 to make moves. There is a good team in here somewhere but we need help. Bats forsure. And a reliever and/or starter.

Vasquez has to stop getting at bats. I firmly believe every person on gopherhole could hit the ball harder.

I am happy.

The one thing about the Padres is they have the studs but after that there’s a pretty big drop off.

I am happy.

The one thing about the Padres is they have the studs but after that there’s a pretty big drop off.

Hope I dont jinx it for tomorrow but most of their studs(sans Soto) are really struggling too.

Bogaerts has had like 5 really bad ABs this series alone.

Slash line was an unfamiliar term.

You "disagreed" with the notion that Mirandas numbers were putrid. You ignored AK being a career .600 slugger in the minors when I said hes blantatly too good for that league(whether hes good enough here still has to be proven).

Look at that AK since hes been called up its been good AB after good AB. Lotta walks. Now a game winner. Miranda can enjoy his cab rides.
Wrong. I did not say I was unfamiliar with the term "slash line". I am quite familiar with Batting Avg/On Base Pct/Slugging Pct, and have been since 1982. I said it was "not part of my vocabulary," which is different.

I hate the actual phrase "slash line" as it's used by seamhead know-it-alls in an condescending manner. I chose brevity instead of going back and forth.

Wrong also about me thinking Miranda's numbers were not putrid. I just thought Larnach was more deserving to be sent down as I later explained based on his also lousy performance & being left-handed. Plus similar positions to Kirilloff. Larnach wasn't even putting the ball in play, and you didn't mention his name in the post I was responding to.

I just said "I disagree". You projected what I was referring to.

It made more sense to hold off on Miranda until Farmer was ready to go. It's also an upgrade defensively. Miranda's best defensive position is DH. Not many ABs available there with Buxton's situation, currently.

Both Miranda & Larnach need improvement while on the East side. Understatement.

As for Kirilloff...so far so good, great that he's able to get on base. I don't think he was kept in St Paul too long. He really hadn't demonstrated he was healthy until just before being called up. If it was for too long it can be measured in hours, not necessarily days.

One thing I do agree with you on: they need get to some more lefty's in the bullpen.

Last edited:

I am a little surprised but also impressed with how the Twins are handing Brock Stewart some higher-leverage situations. so far, so good.

and Jax with a better outing tonight. he's had some shaky innings lately, so it's good to see him pitch better. I wish he would use the fast ball more.

Top Bottom