All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

FWIW - technically, Kirilloff replaced Thielbar on the Twins' roster.

Because Kirilloff was recently optioned to St. Paul (after completing his rehab assignment) he could not be brought up to the major league roster for 10 days - Unless he was replacing someone who was going on the IL.

So if you want to get technical, Rodriquez took Larnach's roster spot and Kirilloff took Thielbar's roster spot. Mahle went on the 60-day IL to create space on the 40-man roster, allowing Rodriguez to assume that roster spot.

pay attention. there will be a quiz.
That makes sense.

This is umpiring incompetence. You can’t let the guy that hit a homer get hit twice in the first pitch of each at bat and warn both benches. All it does is ensure it will continue to to tomorrow. Then if a yankee gets hit in the first inning tomorrow you’re going to throw out the Tampa guy. Toss the Yankees pitcher and it might end at that. Now it’s just going to fester.
Not sure if you saw Randy's trot after his dinger and his hotdogging when he stops at third base and poses to the Yankee dugout (see in the video below), but he deserved to get plunked on the first one in IMO and they hit him below the waist - no I am not related to Brian McCann, but keep it classy Rando, because you are a great player and fun to watch. The second one, was the Yanks being the entitled Richards they are and always have been.

For some context, last night was the first night of Randyland at The Trop -

Randy Arozarena rings in Tampa Bay Rays' 'Randy Land' with a homer​

The Tampa Bay Rays are off to a hot start with an MLB-best 26-6 (.813) record.

They began the season with a 13-game win streak, tied for the second-longest run to begin a season in MLB history. During the streak, the Rays outscored teams 101-30, the best run differential through 13 games since 1884. Tampa Bay also won its first 14 games at Tropicana Field, tied for the fourth-longest home streak to begin a season.

As a way to celebrate the success, Section 141 at the Trop became "Randy Land" on Friday night -- a tribute to Rays' slugger Randy Arozarena. Located in left field, seats will be available every Friday during regular-season home games for $49, per MLB.com.

Fans sitting in the section receive a custom Arozarena-themed T-shirt and a free beer if he hits a home run during the game.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Not sure if you saw Randy's trot after his dinger and his hotdogging when he stops at third base and poses to the Yankee dugout (see in the video below), but he deserved to get plunked on the first one in IMO and they hit him below the waist - no I am not related to Brian McCann, but keep it classy Rando, because you are a great player and fun to watch. The second one, was the Yanks being the entitled Richards they are and always have been.

They began the season with a 13-game win streak, tied for the second-longest run to begin a season in MLB history. During the streak, the Rays outscored teams 101-30, the best run differential through 13 games since 1884. Tampa Bay also won its first 14 games at Tropicana Field, tied for the fourth-longest home streak to begin a season.

As a way to celebrate the success, Section 141 at the Trop became "Randy Land" on Friday night -- a tribute to Rays' slugger Randy Arozarena. Located in left field, seats will be available every Friday during regular-season home games for $49, per MLB.com.

Fans sitting in the section receive a custom Arozarena-themed T-shirt and a free beer if he hits a home run during the game.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Maybe soon we'll see Buck's Bleachers??

I hate that excuse. Pitchers succeed 2 out of every 3 times. Just because someone hit a homerun and hit dogged it around the bases should not give you the rights to throw a projectile at someone else.

I have yet to see a team throw at the opposing teams hitter after the opposing teams pitchers gets out of a jam and showboats off the mound.

It’s a game if you can’t have fun then don’t play it.

I hate that excuse. Pitchers succeed 2 out of every 3 times. Just because someone hit a homerun and hit dogged it around the bases should not give you the rights to throw a projectile at someone else.

I have yet to see a team throw at the opposing teams hitter after the opposing teams pitchers gets out of a jam and showboats off the mound.

It’s a game if you can’t have fun then don’t play it.
He stopped, turned to their dugout and struck a pose, you Hippie🤪

Play stupid games and get stupid prizes.

I'm assuming your under 40 and don't know any better😉 otherwise Brian McCann is got some 'splaining to do to at the Lot Lodge.

Brooks Lee is hitting well in double-a and should probably get promoted to St Paul soon. What I don’t get is he continues to only play SS. With Miranda’s struggles it would make sense for him to get some action at 3B IMO. Either way, SS won’t be his long term position with the Twins so why not get him some time at other positions?

Bullpen help from the farm?

@GophersInIowa here are a couple of possible bullpen arms from the farm - one well known and one unknown (for me at least).

Nuke Lalosh aka Jordan Balazovic, has been moved to the pen, per a mention in The Athletic by Aaron Gleeman - someone asked him about his progress and he is apparently flourishing and Gleeman expects that he'll be called up this year and get a opportunity to contribute -

The stats bear this out (the last column is WHIP) and hitters are only batting .167 and his K per 9 is off the charts.

W​
L​
ERA​
G​
GS​
SV​
IP​
SO​
2023 MiLB Stats
0​
0​
2.45​
6​
1​
0​
11.0​
17​
1.27​
MiLB Career Stats
23​
23​
4.14​
98​
80​
1​
408.1​
448​
1.3​

The second one is from a pitcher who is rocketing up the farm ranks and he is not currently on our Top 30 prospects ala Louie Varland, last year at the beginning of the season IIRC and that has worked out well for us.

MLB.com via the App is the source (if anyone on here doesn't have the App, it is highly recommended for great content -

Twins: Kody Funderburk, LHP (unranked)
A funky lefty, Funderburk began his career as a starter who the Twins took in Round 15 of the 2018 Draft out of Dallas Baptist. He started and relieved last year and is now in a bullpen-only role and has already been bumped up from Double- to Triple-A. His primary fastball is a hard, low-90s cutter, though he also throws a two-seamer to go along with a sweeping slider and a changeup. It’s an east-west profile that makes for a very uncomfortable at-bat.

W​
L​
ERAGGSSVIPSO
2023 MiLB Stats
1​
0​
2.31​
8​
0​
2​
11.2​
18​
1.63​
MiLB Career Stats
18​
12​
3.35​
81​
46​
6​
273.2​
292​
1.35​

Last edited:

Bullpen help from the farm?

@GophersInIowa here are a couple of possible bullpen arms from the farm - one well known and one unknown (for me at least).

Nuke Lalosh aka Jordan Balazovic, has been moved to the pen, per a mention in The Athletic by Aaron Gleeman - someone asked him about his progress and he is apparently flourishing and Gleeman expects that he'll be called up this year and get a opportunity to contribute -

The stats bear this out (the last column is WHIP) and hitters are only batting .167 and his K per 9 is off the charts.

W​
L​
ERA​
G​
GS​
SV​
IP​
SO​
2023 MiLB Stats
0​
0​
2.45​
6​
1​
0​
11.0​
17​
1.27​
MiLB Career Stats
23​
23​
4.14​
98​
80​
1​
408.1​
448​
1.3​

The second one is from a pitcher who is rocketing up the farm ranks and he is not currently on our Top 30 prospects ala Louie Varland, last year at the beginning of the season IIRC and that has worked out well for us.

MLB.com via the App is the source (if anyone on here doesn't have the App, it is highly recommended for great content -

Twins: Kody Funderburk, LHP (unranked)
A funky lefty, Funderburk began his career as a starter who the Twins took in Round 15 of the 2018 Draft out of Dallas Baptist. He started and relieved last year and is now in a bullpen-only role and has already been bumped up from Double- to Triple-A. His primary fastball is a hard, low-90s cutter, though he also throws a two-seamer to go along with a sweeping slider and a changeup. It’s an east-west profile that makes for a very uncomfortable at-bat.

W​
L​
ERAGGSSVIPSO
2023 MiLB Stats
1​
0​
2.31​
8​
0​
2​
11.2​
18​
1.63​
MiLB Career Stats
18​
12​
3.35​
81​
46​
6​
273.2​
292​
1.35​
I didn’t realize he’d been moved to the bullpen. Thanks.

Unable to watch the game. Was it justified?
Miranda made a play to his left and fumbled the ball. No one went to cover 3rd base so Ramirez went to third. He may or mat not ran out of the baseline to avoid the tag sliding into third.

Yes the ejection was justified. I think he was still inside his baseline. The whole thing could have been avoided had Gray covered the base like they work on in PFP in spring training as opposed to standing on the mound.

Miranda made a play to his left and fumbled the ball. No one went to cover 3rd base so Ramirez went to third. He may or mat not ran out of the baseline to avoid the tag sliding into third.

Yes the ejection was justified. I think he was still inside his baseline. The whole thing could have been avoided had Gray covered the base like they work on in PFP in spring training as opposed to standing on the mound.
Pitchers covering 3rd? I don't ever recall seeing that. Their only role at 3rd would be to back up an OF throw.

At 3B, assumption is if fielder can't make the force play unassisted, throw to 1B.

Pitchers covering 3rd? I don't ever recall seeing that. Their only role at 3rd would be to back up an OF throw.

At 3B, assumption is if fielder can't make the force play unassisted, throw to 1B.
Miranda was shifted slightly to his left and went at least 3 strides further then rolled on the ground. Corrrea was going to cover 2nd for the flip. Gray could have easily just walked over towards third when all that unfolded, but he did not. Plus if Correa throws the ball to Gray who did make it to third Ramirez would have been out.

I saw the replay. I think Rocco was ejected because he was trying to show the ump where the runner was. That’s an automatic.

I don’t know though, it looked to me like he should have been called out. Ramirez had to really adjust his course to be able to get to the bag. That’s usually an automatic out.

Last edited:

Brooks Lee is hitting well in double-a and should probably get promoted to St Paul soon. What I don’t get is he continues to only play SS. With Miranda’s struggles it would make sense for him to get some action at 3B IMO. Either way, SS won’t be his long term position with the Twins so why not get him some time at other positions?
Miranda may go down for Farmer on Tuesday. Though he did have two hits tonight, his defense is also brutal. A platoon of Gordon/Farmer may be best for now. Sure wish we had Arreaz about now.

Top Bottom