All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I'm not sure. I fall into the aforementioned luddite category with regards watching televised baseball, but GII posted this response.
Yeah last year you just had to download the app and didn't have to register or anything I believe. Not sure if that has changed now. If so, we've had Apple TV+ in the past so I wonder if I can even do the 2 month free trial.

Yeah last year you just had to download the app and didn't have to register or anything I believe. Not sure if that has changed now. If so, we've had Apple TV+ in the past so I wonder if I can even do the 2 month free trial.
You should be good. I did the free trial last year and just did it again and I'm good to go. Just have to remember to cancel before July 4th.

In case anyone is thinking, "I'll skip one game, I'm not going through those hoops", 3 of the next 5 Friday night games are Apple TV broadcasts.
Yeah. I guess that makes the "2 free months" thing worth it. Don't forget to cancel.

Yeah. I guess that makes the "2 free months" thing worth it. Don't forget to cancel.

There are several quality series/shows to view on the platform with your free trial as well -

See my reviews in post 1785 & 1789, TV Series recommendation 🧵

One other footnote from yesterday's game, just going from memory on the Twins post game radio show.

The Twins and White Sox combined to go 3 or 25 with Runners In Scoring Position. All 3 hits were in the 12th inning.

Feeble.

I don't know why this is funny, but -
I have one of the Twins' pocket schedule/calendars.

there is a letter code for TV games. Most games are "B" for Bally Sports north. the Apple TV games are designated with "A+" so it looks like a report card where most of the grades are "B" with a few "A+" grades popping up. and keeping with the theme, games on Fox are "F" - with Fox Sports 1 getting an "F1".

didn't even realize this till I looked, but at least one game this year is on Peacock (at Baltimore on July 2nd).

I don't know why this is funny, but -
I have one of the Twins' pocket schedule/calendars.

there is a letter code for TV games. Most games are "B" for Bally Sports north. the Apple TV games are designated with "A+" so it looks like a report card where most of the grades are "B" with a few "A+" grades popping up. and keeping with the theme, games on Fox are "F" - with Fox Sports 1 getting an "F1".

didn't even realize this till I looked, but at least one game this year is on Peacock (at Baltimore on July 2nd).

I think Peacock has an exclusive Sunday morning window (at least for the start). That July 2 game starts at 11:05 AM Central Time.

Whoa!

Twins moves announced:

Larnach optioned to St. Paul
Thielbar goes on 15-day IL with right oblique strain
Mahle goes on 60-day IL

and

Kirilloff goes from St. Paul to Twins
Derek Rodriguez has his contract selected from St. Paul to Twins

Whoa!

Twins moves announced:

Mahle goes on 60-day IL

and

Weird. Everywhere I look still has Larnach in the lineup batting 8th.

You disagree that Mirandas slash line isnt utterly horrendous?? Bold and stupid take
The reason I disagreed with you is because you did not specifically call out the #1 candidate (post 1396) to get sent down if Kirilloff was brought up.

It was Larnach.

I did not have to memorize or recite either Mirandas, Larnachs or Kirilloffs Batting Avg, On Base Pct or Slugging Pct to know that. Just watching Larnach, it was obvious. He was having a hard time even putting the ball in play.

Additionally, Kirilloff and Larnach are both Lefthanded bats. Miranda, while struggling is Righthanded and the Twins had trouble with LHPs last year. I think they are best riding him out for a while, whether that's just a few game or weeks.

He's got to adjust to how pitchers are working him as opposed to 2022. If not, he'll be on the Green Line as well.

The reason I disagreed with you is because you did not specifically call out the #1 candidate (post 1396) to get sent down if Kirilloff was brought up.

It was Larnach.

I did not have to memorize or recite either Mirandas, Larnachs or Kirilloffs Batting Avg, On Base Pct or Slugging Pct to know that. Just watching Larnach, it was obvious. He was having a hard time even putting the ball in play.

Additionally, Kirilloff and Larnach are both Lefthanded bats. Miranda, while struggling is Righthanded and the Twins had trouble with LHPs last year. I think they are best riding him out for a while, whether that's just a few game or weeks.

He's got to adjust to how pitchers are working him as opposed to 2022. If not, he'll be on the Green Line as well.

They now know how to pitch him this year, as the pitching adjusts to the data/tape they have on him from last year.

He chases fastballs above the zone and then sliders out of the zone - very common and worked on Miggy as well.

Larnach’s window is rapidly closing as he’s 26 now and there are others moving up the 🪜

Two things you can count on in baseball - injuries and slumps - you’ll get a chance sooner it later to contribute and getting apoplectic is a waste of time.

This is umpiring incompetence. You can’t let the guy that hit a homer get hit twice in the first pitch of each at bat and warn both benches. All it does is ensure it will continue to to tomorrow. Then if a yankee gets hit in the first inning tomorrow you’re going to throw out the Tampa guy. Toss the Yankees pitcher and it might end at that. Now it’s just going to fester.

This is umpiring incompetence. You can’t let the guy that hit a homer get hit twice in the first pitch of each at bat and warn both benches. All it does is ensure it will continue to to tomorrow. Then if a yankee gets hit in the first inning tomorrow you’re going to throw out the Tampa guy. Toss the Yankees pitcher and it might end at that. Now it’s just going to fester.
Yeah that would have to be a pretty big coincidence for a guy to get hit twice by accident after hitting a HR.

The streak extender was put to efficient use today.

I'm encouraged the Twins are attempting "more" stolen bases lately. By their standards that means "some" as opposed to "none." Of course today getting ON base was problematic to begin with.

FWIW - technically, Kirilloff replaced Thielbar on the Twins' roster.

Because Kirilloff was recently optioned to St. Paul (after completing his rehab assignment) he could not be brought up to the major league roster for 10 days - Unless he was replacing someone who was going on the IL.

So if you want to get technical, Rodriquez took Larnach's roster spot and Kirilloff took Thielbar's roster spot. Mahle went on the 60-day IL to create space on the 40-man roster, allowing Rodriguez to assume that roster spot.

pay attention. there will be a quiz.

Whoa!

Twins moves announced:

Mahle goes on 60-day IL

and

Rodrigues is actually Pudge’s kid and a career journeyman- his picture was next to it in the baseball dictionary - I suspect he was brought up to mop up some innings if need be and will likely back to state capitol as early as the next off day - Monday. Yes, his stats this year are pedestrian as can be.

Last edited:

Top Bottom