All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

update from Twins beat writer Dan Hayes (the Athletic)

early reports are that Farmer needs dental work and has a laceration, but apparently does not have a broken jaw. no idea how long he winds up on the IL.

Hayes says Twins are "expected" to add Kyle Garlick to the 40-man roster while transferring Celestino to the 60-day IL.

Touche. Took me a while to get that. Well done.
These days Ripken would be sitting out day games following night games and Nolan Ryan wouldv've had a Tommy John surgery or two.
While there is great deserved attention paid to Ripken's consecutive game streak I think this fact gets incredibly short changed:

He played in 8,264 CONSECUTIVE INNINGS. This was more than the equivalent of 5 seasons without getting yanked. It started on June 5, 1982 and lasted until September 14, 1987. No games at DH during that run. It's more than 3,000 innings longer than what is assumed as the second best.

After Cal broke Gehrig's record of 2,130 he extended it to 2,632 by playing in another 501 games. 501 would rank as the 40th longest MLB streak.

Can't make it up.

Two wks into the season twins are missing hitters Polanco, Kiriloff, Buxton, Correa, Gallo, Farmer, Kepler due to injury.

Again, two weeks into the season.

And then on the post game today Rocco talked about how there were also other guys who played today that were hurting as well. Rocco complimented them for "grinding it out".

Two weeks into the season. Somewhere Ripken Jr. and Nolan Ryan are shaking their heads.

Can't make it up.

Two wks into the season twins are missing hitters Polanco, Kiriloff, Buxton, Correa, Gallo, Farmer, Kepler due to injury.

And then on the post game today Rocco talked about how there were also other guys who played today that were hurting as well. Rocco complimented them for "grinding it out".

Two weeks into the season. Somewhere Ripken Jr. and Nolan Ryan are shaking their heads.

Probably true. Maybe the new train and tune the heck out of the body isn't the best idea for baseball. Ripken and Ryan consumed a lot of beer, cigarettes and or chewing tobacco.

Maybe that was the best baseball training regime.;)

Touche. Took me a while to get that. Well done.
These days Ripken would be sitting out day games following night games and Nolan Ryan wouldv've had a TJ surgery or two.
He had games where he basically started and then was pulled. He made a mockery of the record in a sense.

Can't make it up.

At least the pitching has been healthy. That’s more important IMO.

Also, ouch.

look - players get hurt. they don't want to get hurt. they don't try to get hurt. sometimes it just happens. It sucks that the Twins have been hit with a number of injuries early in the season - and maybe a different training staff or approach would make a difference - but there's no way to prove that. don't forget - they have a new trainer this year. Not the same as last year. so they got rid of the trainer that nobody liked. and guess what, they have a new trainer that nobody likes......

on the plus side, Polanco and Kirilloff are doing minor league rehab now. Kepler is reportedly getting closer. Gallo could be ready for some minor-league at bats - so reinforcements are on the way.

no idea how long Farmer will be out. (but I don't think the trainer had anything to do with that one....)
At some point, you have to press guys a bit. Polanco and Kiriloff are healthy enough to play class A ball. So get them up here. It's a MASH unit. All hands on deck. And we see the folly of protecting Buxton by DH'ing him. Running the bases is always the way he's most likely to get hurt.

At least the pitching has been healthy. That’s more important IMO.

Also, ouch.

Yep, I would've bet my car that some of our starting pitchers would be on the IL by now. A pleasant surprise knock on wood.

Two concerns about our starting staff going into the season:
1) health
2) no ace
I wonder if Lopez is an ace? That would be huge. No doubt Miami is happy with Arraez but I would easily prefer a 27 yr old ace to a defense/power limited batting champ. Time will tell

Last edited:

It would be one thing is all these injuries were breaking bones or tearing ligaments while playing the game. So many of these injuries appear to be muscular related. Those seem like they could be avoided or lessened by changing something.

8-4 going for 9 against the mighty Yankees in yankee stadium against a guy with a sub 1 era and is 2 and 0. The twins will either score 10 runs or get no hit. There is very little in between.

Two concerns about our starting staff going into the season:
1) health
2) no ace
I wonder if Lopez is an ace? That would be huge. No doubt Miami is happy with Arraez but I would easily prefer a 27 yr old ace to a defense/power limited batting champ. Time will tell
The power-limited player who just hit for the cycle, that is.

The exact player who hit 1 triple and 8 home runs in just over 600 plate appearances last year, that is. I loved him as a player, but let's not pretend he's something he isn't. I prefer a top end starting pitcher over his hitting every time. Early signs are that the Twins got just that.

Arraez ops last season was .795. Will agree to disagree. Really difficult for me to take any hitter over an ace. Maybe Judge.

Arraez historically hits better early on and then slows down a bit as the season goes along.

1st half career OPS: .861
2nd half career OPS: .743

I know it's April and if it doesn't happen it is not the end of the season.
I know we're missing 7 hitters.

But the Twins need to channel their inner PJ Fleck and NOT BE AFRAID TO BE A LEGEND. I want at least a 2-2 split in New York this weekend but how about a 3-1 series win? Let's not be afraid of the pinstripes and show 'em that we're here to play big boy baseball.

Last edited:

As referenced above, Farmer to the IL, Celestino to 60-day and Garlick recalled from AAA. If Correa doesn't go tonight, they're down to Gordon or Castro at SS.

I know it's April and if it doesn't happen it is not the end of the season.
I know we're missing 7 hitters.

But the Twins need to channel their inner PJ Fleck and NOT BE AFRAID TO BE A LEGEND. I want at least a 2-2 split in New York this weekend but how about a 3-1 series win? Let's not be afraid of the pinstripes and show 'em that we're here to play big boy baseball.

Best case scenario is a split. No doubt yanks will be favored in all 4 games.

As Clark Griswold heard, "We need to split the series, kick em in the n_ _ _, and call it a day!"

Last edited:

WTF is happening?

He’s back ⬆️

I befriended a Yankee fan in a bar after seeing my doc and getting a good report. He bought me a beer cause he’s a cool azz NYEr like me and when Taylor went yard, J bought patron shots and laughed as my demons from the playoff debacle when zi spent $490 to sit behind the Twins dugout and left after we were down 11-@ in the 4th - as the Yanks fans were meanies (I think we won101 that year).

And I only stopped in the bar to take a deuce, but ordered a beer not to be a dick.
If this confuses anyone, just remember I’m still sober!

Life lesson - MN nice travels!!

Weren't those in year 15 or 16 of the streak, well after he passed Gehrig?
Don't recall Ope3. I do remember reading an article a while back regarding the streak where he extended it to where the tactics wouldn't be used today as it cheapened the record. That record will never be broken, and yes, he was an iron man in a sense even before he started to mess with the record.

They (YES Network) just flashed players that have suited up for both clubs and they lead with -
RD

Then -
Roy Boy
Love That Kid
Pages
And the Knobber

Working on free beer number 2 from another unsuspecting Yankee fan.

Film at 11.

They (YES Network) just flashed players that have suited up for both clubs and they lead with -
RD

Then -
Roy Boy
Love That Kid
Pages
And the Knobber

Working on free beer number 2 from another unsuspecting Yankee fan.

Film at 11.
Not Winny? The Boss must still be pulling strings from his grave.

Others that popped in my head:

Frazier
Pavano
Coomer

I might have jinxed it. I’m guessing Maeda. Ober just pitched so that’s probably why it wouldn’t be him. Just speculating of course but seems like he’s going to make a possible start.

Top Bottom