All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I get your point. Sonny would probably demand more than he’s worth. See what shakes out over the off season
Sonny’s 33 and never been a FA, so this is his last gasp to get a big piece of the pie - he’s gonna see what the market will bear. By giving him a one year qualifying offer of $20M IIRC, we get a first rounder from whomever inks him.

Kepler is only 30 and had a monster year, while playing elite D, you bring him back if nothing else as a trading piece to replace Sonny.

No way you let him walk for nothing, when you have that option.

I think you pick up the 2024 option for sure. $10.5 million for Polanco is a bargain. And prior to 2022 he was durable. I don't think his injuries are a chronic concern like Buxton and Kiriloff.
I have to believe they'll pick it up for sure. The question is if they will try to trade him or not.

I think you pick up the 2024 option for sure. $10.5 million for Polanco is a bargain. And prior to 2022 he was durable. I don't think his injuries are a chronic concern like Buxton and Kiriloff.
Actually, I have heard the term "chronic" applied to Polanco's ailments. I don't think he can be relied on for more than 100 games going forward. 105 last year and only 80 this year.

Still at 10.5, might be justified but I don't think I would call it a bargain.

There will be people that show up to the stadium this afternoon for the game, I have no doubt.
Walking by Target Field about a half hour ago, I can confirm there were a handful of Twins faithful unaware of the switcheroo.

I broke the news to a couple, probably around 40ish all decked out in Twins gear and they were flabbergasted but took it in stride. I told them to check out their Ballpark app and they realized they missed a notification that was sent about an hour ago.

Sort of played out like the scene in Vacation when the Griswold's finally made it to Walley World. I felt like John Candy, "Sorry folks, Park's closed. The moose out front should have told ya."

Walking by Target Field about a half hour ago, I can confirm there were a handful of Twins faithful unaware of the switcheroo.

I broke the news to a couple, probably around 40ish all decked out in Twins gear and they were flabbergasted but took it in stride. I told them to check out their Ballpark app and they realized they missed a notification that was sent about an hour ago.

Sort of played out like the scene in Vacation when the Griswold's finally made it to Walley World. I felt like John Candy, "Sorry folks, Park's closed. The moose out front should have told ya."
Postscript, Target Field sure did look glorious on a wonderful autumn day with all that sunshine. Oh well...

Actually, I have heard the term "chronic" applied to Polanco's ailments. I don't think he can be relied on for more than 100 games going forward. 105 last year and only 80 this year.

Still at 10.5, might be justified but I don't think I would call it a bargain.
Which of his injuries is chronic?

How long do they keep Joe Ryan in? I'm guessing he goes through the lineup once. Unless the Twins go up 3+ early.

Which of his injuries is chronic?
Ankle I believe, different body part but similar tendonitis to Buxton. I know I have heard a few times on Reusse's/SkorNorth podcasts.

Find a way to win tonight. I'd feel good about game 5 with Lopez on the mound.

I know a few of the last trades didn't look all that great for the Twins this year with a few of the prospects we traded away looking pretty good, but I still think the Twins sometimes hang onto prospects too long a lot.

Like you mentioned in another post, Gray will be gone...he's too old and will be too expensive where I wouldn't bring him back either. If you dangle Lee, Kiriloff, and another prospect I don't see how the Twins couldn't trade for someone with a few years left and re-sign them like they did with Lopez.

Cease is in division so I don't love it, same with Bieber, Corbin Burns, Seattle has a few pitchers (may not be selling since they were so close to playoffs this year)

I know it probably won't happen but the Twins seem more willing to work these trade angles vs signing a free agent.

I would rather have Lee longterm than Lewis. You cannot count on Lewis longterm any more than you can count on Buxton.

Why would you rather have Gallo? I don't think either would have much of an impact but think Buxton has the better chance.
I agree. But if they somehow advance, I'm guessing Gallo gets added. Solano's really the only 1B on the roster, though Farmer/Julien could play there.

Whatever happens tonight, I think this has to be classified as a successful season.

Won 9 more games than the previous year.
won a playoff game to end the Streak.
won a playoff series.
saw the development of multiple younger players.

and did this while dealing with plenty of injury issues - Buxton out a big chunk of the year. Royce Lewis missing more time. Correa battling with Planter Fasciitis. Stewart missing time in the bullpen.
Mahle only lasting for 5 starts.

this is not a perfect team. Falvey & Levine need to keep tweaking the roster.

But after an often sour start to the season, it turned into a lot of fun and hopefully got people interested in the Twins again.

Next year - if they can figure out the TV rights - hopefully even more people will be able to watch the games.

this does not mean I'm giving up on this season. I hope they can win tonight and set up a game 5.
But if the Twins lose, I don't want the narrative to turn back into "the Twins Suck." Even thought I'm sure that's what some of the media types will be serving up.

I agree. But if they somehow advance, I'm guessing Gallo gets added. Solano's really the only 1B on the roster, though Farmer/Julien could play there.
That makes sense, especially in a 7 game series.

update - Falvey saying the injury issue with Kirilloff is his shoulder, which was injured earlier this year. So not the wrist.

Then why the hell play him? He’s been terrible at the plate so they are just giving away outs much like they did with Gallo playing everyday. I know they are short of 1st basemen, that is a front office problem and roster construction problem.

Why would you rather have Gallo? I don't think either would have much of an impact but think Buxton has the better chance.
They need a first baseman. Buxton ain’t gonna do that and he is not any better than Stephenson or Taylor in the field, so he is basically never gonna get used. You can’t trust him on the base paths, so he’s not gonna pitch run in order to steal a base. I hope all those words came back to bite me tonight.

Also Alex is done until the World Series, he can not be added for the ALCS should that bridge need to be crossed.

Kepler and Polanco both on club options after this year. 10 million and 10.5 million. The buy outs on those two deals are a million each. I'd assume that the Twins go with Wallner next year, and Julien at 2nd with Royce at 3rd. You've got control years on Willie Castro and he can slide into the outfield in left if Wallner plays right. I think Brooks Lee is a winner, and wouldn't be surprised if he has a great spring training and starts pushing the envelope for time.

I would guess they try and pay Sonny Gray with letting Polanco and Kepler go. Sets up next year's rotation of: Pablo, Sonny, Paddack, Ryan, Ober. Then your bullpen is Varland, Jax, Stewart, Thielbar, Duran, Moran, Funderburk, with options of Woods-Richardson and Ortega in St. Paul.
Agree with all of the above with exception of Kepler. Think they keep him based on strong 2nd half. Not sure we have anyone to replace his production (if 2nd half is the real Kepler).

Then why the hell play him? He’s been terrible at the plate so they are just giving away outs much like they did with Gallo playing everyday. I know they are short of 1st basemen, that is a front office problem and roster construction problem.

I don't agree with all the criticism levied toward the front office this year. Falvey/Levine have done a very nice job with some of their additions in the offseason to create a 40 man roster that is deeper than it has been in a number of years.

Sure they have missed on a couple trades (Mahle for sure). But others have turned out better than expected. Paddock and Pagan for Rogers looks better now. They fleeced the Rays for Ryan. Lopez is a legitimate ace. Gray has been a very solid two. Their bullpen is much better than previous years. Their offseason signings with the exception of Gallo have been very solid (Solano, Farmer, Castro, Taylor).

I'm just not sure what you do about injuries. Kiriloff/Lewis/Buxton are all top 20ish prospects that will be given a longer leash. The Twins have just been very unlucky that their top talents have all been injured so often. But having said that, they have a number of other young players (Julien/Wallner/Larnach) that have been good additions too. It's difficult to have MLB-ready players at every position to step in everywhere when guys go down.

A 1,2,3 inning for Ryan in the first. How bout doing what Houston did in the first last night. Score a run or 4

I don't agree with all the criticism levied toward the front office this year. Falvey/Levine have done a very nice job with some of their additions in the offseason to create a 40 man roster that is deeper than it has been in a number of years.

Sure they have missed on a couple trades (Mahle for sure). But others have turned out better than expected. Paddock and Pagan for Rogers looks better now. They fleeced the Rays for Ryan. Lopez is a legitimate ace. Gray has been a very solid two. Their bullpen is much better than previous years. Their offseason signings with the exception of Gallo have been very solid (Solano, Farmer, Castro, Taylor).

I'm just not sure what you do about injuries. Kiriloff/Lewis/Buxton are all top 20ish prospects that will be given a longer leash. The Twins have just been very unlucky that their top talents have all been injured so often. But having said that, they have a number of other young players (Julien/Wallner/Larnach) that have been good additions too. It's difficult to have MLB-ready players at every position to step in everywhere when guys go down.
Having your only first basement to be an often injured Kirilloff and Solano is not great.

Top Bottom