All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

My problem was he had time to get off the base and keep the ball in front of him. Yeah you won’t get 2 that way, but you get 1 and keep guys off base.
Yes, knocking the ball down to get at least 1 out was imperative.

Last edited:

Hard to wonder if the whole game looks different if AK makes that play, especially if he turns two.

Oh well, a loss by 9 counts the same as a loss by 1. Throw this one away and get to their starter early tomorrow. I'm ok with a Lopez v. Verlander game 5.

Gametime tomorrow depends on the result of the Texas game. If Texas wins - 6pm, if Texas loses - 1pm.

What a load of crap, and a really shitty thing to do to everyone involved in game day operations.

And complete disrespect for these two teams.
I don't blame the Twins for the actual possibility of the ambiguous game time. It is what it is, controlled by TV partners and MLB.

Where I do find fault with the Twins is how little it's been publicized. I couldn't find any alerts of this on either the MLB or Ballpark App. It should have but announced several times at Target Field today. There was Jack Squat.

The buddy I met at the game, each had our own tix today but he bought the ones for tomorrow, was completely oblivious about it until I told him in the 8th inning.

A coworker who is going tomorrow also had no idea.

Was just at the game and had a great time. First inning really sucked the life out of the stadium. Tomorrow should be jumping though, hope texas wins so we can occupy the prime time tv slot.
Little worried about Ryan on the mound. Tbh I would go with Pablo, we cant afford to lose this game.

Was just at the game and had a great time. First inning really sucked the life out of the stadium. Tomorrow should be jumping though, hope texas wins so we can occupy the prime time tv slot.
Little worried about Ryan on the mound. Tbh I would go with Pablo, we cant afford to lose this game.
What's the point of running Pablo on way too short of rest when we would have to put Ryan or someone else out there for game 5 anyway?

How I see tomorrow's staff ideally being used.
Ryan: 4 solid innings
Thielbar: 2 innings
Stewart: 1 inning
Jax: 1 inning
Duran: 1 inning

not necessarily in that order

Gametime tomorrow depends on the result of the Texas game. If Texas wins - 6pm, if Texas loses - 1pm.

What a load of crap, and a really shitty thing to do to everyone involved in game day operations.

And complete disrespect for these two teams.
At the very least, once Texas was 2-0 they should have swapped them so that people would have had 48 hours notice instead of 15.

How I see tomorrow's staff ideally being used.
Ryan: 4 solid innings
Thielbar: 2 innings
Stewart: 1 inning
Jax: 1 inning
Duran: 1 inning

not necessarily in that order
If Ryan is on let him go until he gives up at least 2 runs. Planning to only get 3-4 isn't great, especially with Ober and Maeda both burned today.

Texas wins. The three AL East teams bow out with a combined playoff record of 0-7.

I find the fact that the AL East got 3 teams into the MLB Postseason with neither the Yankees nor Red Sox participating quite remarkable and thrilling.

I am guessing ESPN, TBS-TNT & Fox executives have a much different opinion.

Even better is the AL East went 0-7 in the Playoffs.

Goose egg.
Doughnut.
Zip.

Last edited:

I don't blame the Twins for the actual possibility of the ambiguous game time. It is what it is, controlled by TV partners and MLB.

Where I do find fault with the Twins is how little it's been publicized. I couldn't find any alerts of this on either the MLB or Ballpark App. It should have but announced several times at Target Field today. There was Jack Squat.

The buddy I met at the game, each had our own tix today but he bought the ones for tomorrow, was completely oblivious about it until I told him in the 8th inning.

A coworker who is going tomorrow also had no idea.
At least my tickets in Ballpark App updated within 5 minutes after the Rangers won.

Somebody out there heard my bitchin'.

Game time temps will now start at about 60 and drop to 50 during the game instead of vice versa.

Shadows will be a non-issue.

If the Twins decide to trade one of Kepler/Polanco/Wallner/Kiriloff I might trade Kiriloff. It doesn't seem like he'll ever stay healthy for 162 or hit for any real power. And he probably has the most value of the four. You'd have to comfortable that Julien can play 1B though.

If the Twins decide to trade one of Kepler/Polanco/Wallner/Kiriloff I might trade Kiriloff. It doesn't seem like he'll ever stay healthy for 162 or hit for any real power. And he probably has the most value of the four. You'd have to comfortable that Julien can play 1B though.
I still have some hope for Kiriloff but the guy will be 26 when this season ends. You'd hope that potential shows a little more by now. Injuries obviously a factor but I'm not sure I see a future star when I watch him.

And while I don't know if Julien can play 1B, we know that Kiriloff is not strong defensively, so I'm not sure how much dropoff there would be.

Twins should seriously consider a mega trade for another caliber ace anyway. Where is Brooks Lee going to play with Correa and Lewis locked up? Polanco wasn't healthy this year but he's a decent player on a good contract. If you have Kiriloff/Julien at 1B where do you play Lee?

Lee, Kiriloff, and an additional prospect could net you a really good pitcher to replace Gray

Kepler and Polanco both on club options after this year. 10 million and 10.5 million. The buy outs on those two deals are a million each. I'd assume that the Twins go with Wallner next year, and Julien at 2nd with Royce at 3rd. You've got control years on Willie Castro and he can slide into the outfield in left if Wallner plays right. I think Brooks Lee is a winner, and wouldn't be surprised if he has a great spring training and starts pushing the envelope for time.

I would guess they try and pay Sonny Gray with letting Polanco and Kepler go. Sets up next year's rotation of: Pablo, Sonny, Paddack, Ryan, Ober. Then your bullpen is Varland, Jax, Stewart, Thielbar, Duran, Moran, Funderburk, with options of Woods-Richardson and Ortega in St. Paul.

Twins should seriously consider a mega trade for another caliber ace anyway. Where is Brooks Lee going to play with Correa and Lewis locked up? Polanco wasn't healthy this year but he's a decent player on a good contract. If you have Kiriloff/Julien at 1B where do you play Lee?

Lee, Kiriloff, and an additional prospect could net you a really good pitcher to replace Gray
It'll be interesting to see what they do with Polanco. There's a team option for 10.5M and then another in 2025 for 12M.

There will be people that show up to the stadium this afternoon for the game, I have no doubt.

I really don't know why they even announced a game time prior to yesterday. There was always a 25% chance the other series would be a sweep, 50% after it was known there would be a Game 4 at Target Field.

I really don't know why they even announced a game time prior to yesterday. There was always a 25% chance the other series would be a sweep, 50% after it was known there would be a Game 4 at Target Field.
95% a couple innings into that game lol

Lee will get his chance, given Lewis's health and potentially Correa's if the ankle is actually a concern. I wouldn't force it.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Polanco. There's a team option for 10.5M and then another in 2025 for 12M.
I think you pick up the 2024 option for sure. $10.5 million for Polanco is a bargain. And prior to 2022 he was durable. I don't think his injuries are a chronic concern like Buxton and Kiriloff.

Kepler and Polanco both on club options after this year. 10 million and 10.5 million. The buy outs on those two deals are a million each. I'd assume that the Twins go with Wallner next year, and Julien at 2nd with Royce at 3rd. You've got control years on Willie Castro and he can slide into the outfield in left if Wallner plays right. I think Brooks Lee is a winner, and wouldn't be surprised if he has a great spring training and starts pushing the envelope for time.

I would guess they try and pay Sonny Gray with letting Polanco and Kepler go. Sets up next year's rotation of: Pablo, Sonny, Paddack, Ryan, Ober. Then your bullpen is Varland, Jax, Stewart, Thielbar, Duran, Moran, Funderburk, with options of Woods-Richardson and Ortega in St. Paul.
If Gray wants to come back on a qualifying offer or 1 year deal, great. But if it's going to take 3/$75-3/$90 to keep him I would pass. He's 33 and this was the healthiest he's been in years and his best season by far. He's almost certainly going to regress on both fronts going forward. Don't pay a premium for that. Kepler and Polanco are relative bargains and I'd keep both regardless of what you do with Gray.

If Gray wants to come back on a qualifying offer or 1 year deal, great. But if it's going to take 3/$75-3/$90 to keep him I would pass. He's 33 and this was the healthiest he's been in years and his best season by far. He's almost certainly going to regress on both fronts going forward. Don't pay a premium for that. Kepler and Polanco are relative bargains and I'd keep both regardless of what you do with Gray.
I get your point. Sonny would probably demand more than he’s worth. See what shakes out over the off season

I think you pick up the 2024 option for sure. $10.5 million for Polanco is a bargain. And prior to 2022 he was durable. I don't think his injuries are a chronic concern like Buxton and Kiriloff.
Yup, he’s got a few good tears left and at those prices, us a bargain; he takes excellent ABs for the most part and we need that in the line up

Lee will get his chance, given Lewis's health and potentially Correa's if the ankle is actually a concern. I wouldn't force it.
I know a few of the last trades didn't look all that great for the Twins this year with a few of the prospects we traded away looking pretty good, but I still think the Twins sometimes hang onto prospects too long a lot.

Like you mentioned in another post, Gray will be gone...he's too old and will be too expensive where I wouldn't bring him back either. If you dangle Lee, Kiriloff, and another prospect I don't see how the Twins couldn't trade for someone with a few years left and re-sign them like they did with Lopez.

Cease is in division so I don't love it, same with Bieber, Corbin Burns, Seattle has a few pitchers (may not be selling since they were so close to playoffs this year)

I know it probably won't happen but the Twins seem more willing to work these trade angles vs signing a free agent.

Top Bottom