All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

The NBA plays into June.....I mean, WTF
NBA arenas are air conditioned/heated, thus they can play wherever and whenever. A Veterans Day game at Target Field and many other ballparks could be problematic.

Remember 82!
I do remember '82, the Brewers were down 0-2 against the Angels and then won 3 straight.

The Braves were dispatched by the Cardinals in a sweep. Caught a bad break with the weather. Atlanta burned Niekro, using him in 4.1 innings when rain forced a delay, up 1-0 nothing. Play was never able to resume, so the rules back them were to restart from the beginning.

I know the 3 other road teams won. But that's why you earn a bye. So you have Lopez starting game 1 at home instead of ober on the road
The teams with the first round bye are a collective 2-6 in the divisional series. It’s a huge advantage to get that bye!

NBA arenas are air conditioned/heated, thus they can play wherever and whenever. A Veterans Day game at Target Field and many other ballparks could be problematic.
It could be, but to play 162 games and play a best of 3 is way more problematic. It's almost hysterical.

No one ever starts their 4 and 5 starters, which is 40% of the regular season.

It could be, but to play 162 games and play a best of 3 is way more problematic. It's almost hysterical.

It's only because they added the 2nd wild card which shouldn't even exist IMO. There's no reason for a wild card round to be any more than 3 games.

Having a 5 day layoff for 4 teams after playing nearly every day for 6 months is the problem, not the 3 game wild card series. You instead want a 7 or 10 day layoff for these teams? 8 teams in the playoffs after a 162 game season is more than enough.

True, but when has the MLB postseason ever been a test of the depth of the starting staff? In 1968, Detroit basically won the championship on the back of one starter, Mickey Lolich. In 1987, two starters, Viola and Blyleven, won it for the Twins. In 2001, it was Schilling and Johnson for AZ. Etc, etc, etc….

Why do you keep saying that. These days, in the 5 game ALDS, all 4 American league teams are using 4 starters. And they will again in League Championship Series and World Series. Not 3. They used to when pitches went ever 4th day. Now they go every 5th day (or sometimes 6th). You may, may, see a team go to their stud on short rest for a 7th game, but it us rare and then, try to get 4 or 5 innings out of them.

Though I would prefer fewer off days, I just don't have a problem with it. As others have mentioned at least 4th starters will come into play, as teams are much more reluctant to use their studs on just 3 days rest. If a team has a strong 5th starter, they can be leveraged in the bullpen.

Also, there's no inherent reason why playoff pitching rotations need to look the same as regular season. We also don't see the runner on 2nd base in extra innings in the postseason.

Also, there's no inherent reason why playoff pitching rotations need to look the same as regular season. We also don't see the runner on 2nd base in extra innings in the postseason.

Other sports also have their nuances. NBA players that are 9-12 in the rotation might get meaningful minutes in the season but might not leave the bench other than for mop up time. Also no (or very rare) back-to-backs.

NHL a backup goalie that plays 30% - 40% of the games could ride the pine the entire playoffs. Line rotations have a tendency to get shorter as well.

I was asked a while back who I wanted the Dodgers to play in their series. I replied, "anyone but Arizona." I was right. The Dodgers do not play well in the postseason against teams they had success with in the regular season. If the Twins can move on, I will actually watch MLB baseball late into Oct. for the first time since the shortened season.

It's weird how Jeffers is playing everyday now when Vazquez started more during the regular season. I'm not complaining, just wondering why Jeffers didn't start 2/3 of the time during the regular season then.
Yeah. I believe they caught literally every other day after the All Star break until the last week of the season. The 4/2 weekly split should have been happening sooner. I guess it was "it's not broke don't fix it" but the difference between 80 games and 100 is a lot when the offensive gap is that big. I hope they don't persist with 50/50 next year.

Kris with a K Lindahl in a billboard battle with a guy named Mack. Oh boy.

For the first time ever, I'm nervous about Rocco not being cautious enough with an injury...
Lewis has looked just fine running the bases. He got caught in that rundown. If he's fine then, I think it's an ok risk to take.

Lewis has looked just fine running the bases. He got caught in that rundown. If he's fine then, I think it's an ok risk to take.
Hopefully so. Polanco seemed to have gotten over his yips, so I wasn't covering my eyes on every ball hit to 3rd the last couple games.

Hopefully so. Polanco seemed to have gotten over his yips, so I wasn't covering my eyes on every ball hit to 3rd the last couple games.
That's funny you say that because I actually have felt the urge to cover my eyes when he's attempting a throw over to 1st.

Am hoping the Rangers complete the sweep today so the Twins game tomorrow gets shifted to the 6pm slot. And then if they go to game 5, it should be at night.

The chances of Rocco having the final call on that move I would rate as less than 1%.
Yes and no. I assume he's allowed to set the line-up after the all clear is given.

Top Bottom