All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

At this point I'd vote not to put Buxton on the post season roster. Shut him down and get him healthy for next year. Secondly, Gallo...what has he really done this season that warrants a spot on the post season roster? Unless he is an extremely positive influence in the locker room and in the dugout, I really don't see the value.
Keep in mind teams can reset the Playoff Roster for each series. In the Wild Card Round (Best of 3) they will only need 3 starters meaning they can probably go with 11 or at most 12 pitchers.

Depending on everyone's health, I could still see Gallo making the cut the First Round.

He'll still be on the street if they actually became that desperate. Solano can play 1B. So can Julien. So could Castro. So could Williams who's still in St. Paul There's no scenario short of a plane crash that warrants Gallo being on the roster.
If he’s on the IL, he’s not on the playoff roster FWIW.

Did Joey steal your milk money? Wow, that appears to be a lot of enmity for an athlete.

Logically, it would be seemingly easier to add him to the playoff roster from the IL than “adding from the street.” If you have specific information which contradicts my premise, feel free to respond with a link.

Additionally, it has the benefit of keeping him involved and working with the team to stay ready, if need be, and doing the work he can at the team facility while on. The “phantom IL.” Timing is everything in hitting from my experience (that’s why batting practice exists).

From my experience, in managing people, you achieve better results by having them actively engaged. Maybe your management experience differs (if you have some ), but my experience is what I have as a benchmark.

The Twins are a loyal lot, which I admire, and I don’t see then booting him with 24 games left.

He also offers positional flexibility while being a plus defender at them all.

You never articulated a reason why putting him on the IL was specifically a bad idea - which was my point; I simply postulated what could be a possibility for his future.

FYI - Chris Williams has regressed to the mean, sporting a torrid .236 BA, just a tick above his career .228, he’s also whiffed 111 out of 345 AB and is 26 years old, I wonder if he’s picked up the nickname Crash yet?

I'd keep Stevenson over Luplow. He's a good defender and can steal a base. Luplow really doesn't offer much. He had a nice HR on Friday but has basically done nothing outside of
Agree to disagree.

Last edited:

has there ever been a situation where a player was tied for the team lead in HR's - and was simultaneously hated by most of the fans, the traditional media, bloggers and podcasters?

Look - I am not saying Gallo is a great player. but he does provide at least some value. He is a decent defensive player at multiple positions. and as noted, is tied for the team lead in HR's - and draws a fair # of walks.

I just think the level of outrage/hate is over the top.

there have been worse players on the Twins over the years.

If he’s on the IL, he’s not on the playoff roster FWIW.

Did Joey steal your milk money? Wow, that appears to be a lot of enmity for an athlete.

Logically, it would be seemingly easier to add him to the playoff roster from the IL than “adding from the street.” If you have specific information which contradicts my premise, feel free to respond with a link.

Additionally, it has the benefit of keeping him involved and working with the team to stay ready, if need be, and doing the work he can at the team facility while on. The “phantom IL.” Timing is everything in hitting from my experience (that’s why batting practice exists).

From my experience, in managing people, you achieve better results by having them actively engaged. Maybe your management experience differs (if you have some ), but my experience is what I have as a benchmark.

The Twins are a loyal lot, which I admire, and I don’t see then booting him with 24 games left.

He also offers positional flexibility while being a plus defender at them all.

You never articulated a reason why putting him on the IL was specifically a bad idea - which was my point; I simply postulated what could be a possibility for his future.

FYI - Chris Williams has regressed to the mean, sporting a torrid .236 BA, just a tick above his career .228, he’s also whiffed 111 out of 345 AB and is 26 years old, I wonder if he’s picked up the nickname Crash yet?

Agree to disagree.
I don't hate Joey. I hate the front office's stubborn refusal to admit he's cooked and move on already. He's literally one of the worst players in baseball since May 1st and even worse since July 1st. But we continue to roster him for...reasons. Rocco at least seems to have had enough and is barely using him. They used Stevenson over him as a pinch hitter the other night. His defense is average at best. What exactly is the point of keeping him?

At least when Miguel Sano was completely cooked, they said "you're hurt, leave." And he hasn't sniffed an MLB roster since. Gallo might be in some camp as a non-roster invite in February but that's it.

This is a cool look at the #2 spots in batting orders and how it has evolved over time.

Byron Buxton, Twins leaders to meet to discuss health, future​

As the Twins move closer to an American League Central Division title, they hope to receive more clarity on Byron Buxton's status Friday.

Front office and medical staff planned to meet with Buxton to discuss his right knee injury that paused his rehab assignment and next steps in his attempt to get back in the Twins lineup. Buxton played two games at Class AAA St. Paul, one in center field and one at designated hitter, before patella tendinitis flared up in his right knee.

Manager Rocco Baldelli emphasized the tendinitis wasn't a new injury and it wasn't necessarily unexpected as Buxton prepared to play in center field for the first time this year. Buxton played seven innings in the outfield on Aug. 30, and then he took two at-bats as a DH on Sept. 1 before he was pulled early from his second rehab game.

Win Twins!!

🙏

My guess is the he develops a phantom injury and goes on the IL, as insurance, in case AK gets hurt again.
You win. Kiriloff up. Gallo to IL . He "bruised his foot". Not sure how, since he's only batted twice against a catcher and pinch ran once this week. Hopefully he rests it for 30 + days to be safe.

Last edited:

I don't hate Joey. I hate the front office's stubborn refusal to admit he's cooked and move on already. He's literally one of the worst players in baseball since May 1st and even worse since July 1st. But we continue to roster him for...reasons. Rocco at least seems to have had enough and is barely using him. They used Stevenson over him as a pinch hitter the other night. His defense is average at best. What exactly is the point of keeping him?

At least when Miguel Sano was completely cooked, they said "you're hurt, leave." And he hasn't sniffed an MLB roster since. Gallo might be in some camp as a non-roster invite in February but that's it.
Assuming none of the reasons I gave you are valid/correct, there is still this possibility, he’s a good dude in the clubhouse and people like having him around. It costs them no more money to stash him on the IL than to cut him at this juncture and managing the culture is as important as the lineup card; it been mentioned more than once that the Padres hate each other and that their clubhouse is a disaster.

As has been postulated by minds much smarter than me, a person’s EQ (emotional intelligence) is often
times a more important predictor of success than they’re IQ.

The Twins are about to win their third Central title in five years and the farm is starting to look very fruitful; the front office may actually know more about running a baseball team than you, me or anyone else on this board or the internet. They should, as that’s their vocation vs. our avocation.

Last edited:

Do we build the statue of Royce Lewis now or after the season?

I'd keep Stevenson over Luplow. He's a good defender and can steal a base. Luplow really doesn't offer much. He had a nice HR on Friday but has basically done nothing outside of that.
Good point regarding Stevenson 👍

You’re right he probably offers more value than Luplow.

Last edited:

After years of watching guys like Billy Hamilton, Jarrod Dyson and Terrence Gore fly around the basepaths in the late innings against the Twins, it's refreshing to see the Twins finally have some guys who can use their speed to score runs.

Willie The Weapon leads our assault against the hapless club from Queens!

Top Bottom