All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

With tonight's victory, Twins Magic # is 17. Season series is also now tied at 6 so I believe tomorrow's game is worth 3.

If someone wants to check me on that, go ahead by all means.

I was told that there would be no math involved.

I don't know about the "worth 3" part.

as far as I know, the magic number means any combination of Twins wins and/or Cleveland losses.
now, if two teams wind up the regular season tied for a Division title, there is no more "game 163." instead a tie-breaking procedure is used, and the 1st tie-breaker is head-to-head competition during the season.

in other words, if Cleveland won Wednesday's game, and the two teams finished the regular season with identical records, then Cleveland wins the Division on the head-to-head criteria. but I don't think that changes the 'magic number' formula.

but, FWIW - Twins are 73-66 - Cleveland is 66-73. each team has 23 games left.

so if the Twins went 10-13 the rest of the way, Cleveland would have to go 17-6 to create the tie.

Cleveland games remaining: (Opponents win %)
1 vs Twins (.525)
4 at LA Angels (.464)
3 at SF Giants (.507)
3 home vs Texas (.555)
3 at Kansas City (.309)
4 at Baltimore (.628)
2 home vs Cincinnati (.518)
3 at Detroit (.457)

13 of 23 vs teams with winning records

Twins remaining
1 at Cleveland (.475)
3 home vs NY Mets (.464)
3 home vs Tampa Bay (.601)
4 at White Sox (.384)
3 at Cincinnati (.518)
3 home vs LA Angels (.464)
3 home vs Oakland (.304)
3 at Colorado (.365)

6 of 23 vs teams with winning records

With tonight's victory, Twins Magic # is 17. Season series is also now tied at 6 so I believe tomorrow's game is worth 3.

If someone wants to check me on that, go ahead by all means.

I was told that there would be no math involved.
Relative to Cleveland, that’s correct. The traditional magic number was calculated to assure finishing one game ahead of the second place team. But now if the first place team won the season series, that team only has to assure it will finish at least tied with the second place team. So if we win tomorrow, our magic number relative to Cleveland drops by three, not two. But we lost the season series to Detroit, so our magic number regarding the Tigers still has to be calculated the traditional way.

Not to rain on the parade, but the Solano triple has to be a single and a two base error. Straw made a terrible play on the ball and if he just left is bounce it’s a single and maybe two runs score. I know baseball hates errors, but come on that has to be an error.

Not to rain on the parade, but the Solano triple has to be a single and a two base error. Straw made a terrible play on the ball and if he just left is bounce it’s a single and maybe two runs score. I know baseball hates errors, but come on that has to be an error.
I would write a letter to MLB. No one here is capable of helping you on this crusade.

Booooooooo!!!! 😉

So do you sit Correa after todays game?
They (all the regulars) may get an extra day off here or there, but with the offense becoming frightfully offensive😆, they need to keep playing so their timing doesn’t get out of whack - nothing stimulates the speed of the game.

Like others have said, I think they'll end up getting extra days off here or there. I wouldn't be opposed too to some games having Correa gets two plate appearances, then gets taken out. So he's still getting some reps but isn't having to play all 9 innings. Kinda like spring training games.

Jim Bowden has two of our up and comers listed in the top 15 of his Top 50 Prospect List (updated 8/30). He was the former GM of the Reds and Nats. Here is his take -

12. Walker Jenkins, OF, Twins (Low A)​

Bats: L Throws: R
Height: 6-3 Weight:210
Scouting grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 60 RUN: 55 ARM: 60 FLD: 55

Selected at No. 5 by Minnesota, Walker Jenkins was the best high school bat in this year’s draft. The first thing that stands out is his upper-deck power. The left-handed hitter drives balls out of the park to all fields but his power to the pull side is special. His swing is as pretty as it is powerful, and it generates a high barrel percentage. He has above-average speed and is an even better base runner. He played center field in high school and might be able to stay there but I would guess he’ll end up in right field.

15. Brooks Lee, SS, Twins (Triple A)​

Bats: B Throws: R
Height: 5-11 Weight: 205
Scouting grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 55 RUN: 50 ARM: 55 FLD: 50

Brooks Lee, son of longtime Cal Poly head coach Larry Lee, has special leadership qualities and baseball instincts. He’s a strong defender with soft hands, quick feet and an accurate arm; he takes great angles to balls, which makes up for his average range. Lee can really hit. He has more power from the right side but is a better hitter from the left side. He appears to have doubles power more than home run power but still profiles as an 18- to 22-home run hitter in time.

Only 20 years old

In addition to Jenkins & Lee ( a good firm!) being in Bowden’s Top 50, he has 12 others who were just outside, and Emmanuel is in it -

6. Emmanuel Rodriguez, OF, Twins (High A)​

AP22107333367877-scaled.jpg

Bats: L Throws: L
Height: 5-10 Weight: 210
Scouting grades:HIT: 50 PWR: 60 RUN: 55 ARM: 60 FLD: 50

Emmanuel Rodriguez’s power warrants a 60 grade and he can do damage to all fields. The contact he makes is consistently hard, and he generates great backspin on the ball. He can play all three outfield positions at close to average defensively with a plus arm. I think his best position will end up being right field because of his arm strength. Rodriguez has logged an .869 OPS this year with 13 doubles, nine triples, 16 home runs, 52 RBIs and 19 stolen bases (in 24 attempts) over 95 games at High

Last edited:

Top Bottom