All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

on the magic number - Ope3 is right. I saw a tweet from Twins Geek John Bonnes going over that very point. In my defense, that is new this year because of the change in tie-breaking procedures for playoff position. So I would have been right last year................

on official scoring - yeah, I cringe a lot when I see some of the balls that are ruled as hits. I don't think that it's a coincidence - it seems as if every official scorer got the same memo because they all do the same thing. apparently someone wants to see higher batting averages, even if it means the pitchers see a bump in their ERA's. I always thought the rule on a hit or error was "ordinary effort."
meaning that if - in the opinion of the official scorer - the ball should have been handled with ordinary effort, then it gets scored as an error. back when I was calling HS baseball games on the radio, I used to argue with the guy keeping the official book because I tended to score more plays as errors.

on the magic number - Ope3 is right. I saw a tweet from Twins Geek John Bonnes going over that very point. In my defense, that is new this year because of the change in tie-breaking procedures for playoff position. So I would have been right last year................
Thanks.

I think this is actually Year 2 of the implementation, as they introduced the Wild Card Best of 3 last year and eliminated Game 163 tiebreakers when the Labor Agreement was struck March of 2022.

Fun With Math -

Not only have the Twins gone 28-21 in the second half to climb from second place at the All-Star break to all but clinching the division by mid-September, they have baseball’s second-easiest remaining schedule, playing 16 of 22 games versus losing teams. Their final three series will be against the Angels, A’s and Rockies, making it highly unlikely the Twins will get caught from behind.

Meanwhile, the Guardians have gone 22-28 since the All-Star break, they sold several key veterans at the trade deadline and their schedule is tougher, with 12 of 22 games versus winning teams. Without any more head-to-head matchups with the Twins, the Guardians are as likely to finish in third place as first place, and getting to .500 will be a challenge for the reigning AL Central champions.

There’s more talent in this organization than there has been in a long time. They deserve plenty of credit.
Then where do I place my irrational anger towards a sports team? There are 162, maybe more, baseball games to get mad at. There are only 18 football games and they only happen once a week. At least with baseball I can be mad at something on an almost daily lever from April until October. That’s just in time for the wolves to start up another, This is the year, season.

😉

The Hunt for our third playoff starter appears over -

Since returning from a 23-day stint on the injured list on Aug. 26, Ryan has a 2.40 ERA with 17 strikeouts, three walks and only two home runs allowed in 15 innings.

Then where do I place my irrational anger towards a sports team?
There are 162, maybe more, baseball games to get mad at. There are only 18 football games and they only happen once a week. At least with baseball I can be mad at something on an almost daily lever from April until October. That’s just in time for the wolves to start up another, This is the year, season.

😉

Injury updates on potential playoff pieces -

Making his first appearance since having Tommy John last May, Chris Paddack allowed two runs in 2 2/3 innings at Low-A Fort Myers. Working with a fastball that averaged 94.6 mph, Paddack walked two batters and struck out four in a 52-pitch effort.

Alex Kirilloffcontinued a successful rehab assignment at Triple-A St. Paul by going 2-for-5 with two RBIs on Wednesday. If he emerges from the contest healthy, the Twins would potentially activate Kirilloff before Friday’s game against the New York Mets. Kirilloff is 12-for-27 with seven RBIs on his rehab assignment. …

Injury updates on potential playoff pieces -

Making his first appearance since having Tommy John last May, Chris Paddack allowed two runs in 2 2/3 innings at Low-A Fort Myers. Working with a fastball that averaged 94.6 mph, Paddack walked two batters and struck out four in a 52-pitch effort.

Alex Kirilloffcontinued a successful rehab assignment at Triple-A St. Paul by going 2-for-5 with two RBIs on Wednesday. If he emerges from the contest healthy, the Twins would potentially activate Kirilloff before Friday’s game against the New York Mets. Kirilloff is 12-for-27 with seven RBIs on his rehab assignment. …
I don't see Paddock being a play-off factor. He's never been a reliever IIRC and he's targeting debuting with a week left in the season. I don't see how you would include him on a play-off roster over Maeda, Varland or even Winder. He can certainly make a start or two in the last week when we are hopefully setting up the rotation.

I don't see Paddock being a play-off factor. He's never been a reliever IIRC and he's targeting debuting with a week left in the season. I don't see how you would include him on a play-off roster over Maeda, Varland or even Winder. He can certainly make a start or two in the last week when we are hopefully setting up the rotation.
I never said he was, hence the use of the word potential 😉.

I thought posters would be interested in a performance update.
It was simply an informational post, just like others I’ve posted on here before regarding other bullpen options, specifically Varland’s move to the pen; which based on the results yesterday and Jeffers’ effusive comments about his outing, looks to hold playoff promise and is an adroit decision by The Brain 🧠 Trust .

I never said he was, hence the use of the word potential 😉.

I thought posters would be interested in a performance update.
It was simply an informational post, just like others I’ve posted on here before regarding other bullpen options, specifically Varland’s move to the pen; which based on the results yesterday and Jeffers’ effusive comments about his outing, looks to hold playoff promise and is an adroit decision by The Brain 🧠 Trust .
It was just a general comment.

If the Falvey brain trust DFA's Gallo tomorrow I pledge not to say anything negative about them for one week.

More than likely the case. At a very minimum, this will hopefully get him more prepared to start right away next season.

It was just a general comment.

If the Falvey brain trust DFA's Gallo tomorrow I pledge not to say anything negative about them for one week.
🙏

My guess is the he develops a phantom injury and goes on the IL, as insurance, in case AK gets hurt again.

Buck being pulled from his rehab assignment, means he’s likely done for the year, which is fine. Once Taylor us back Stevenson is done, leaving Luplow S the 4th OFer?

Last edited:

🙏

My guess is the he develops a phantom injury and goes on the IL, as insurance, in case AK gets hurt again.

Buck being pulled from his rehab assignment, means he’s likely done for the year, which is fine. Once Taylor us back Stevenson is done, leaving Luplow S the 4th OFer?
He'll still be on the street if they actually became that desperate. Solano can play 1B. So can Julien. So could Castro. So could Williams who's still in St. Paul There's no scenario short of a plane crash that warrants Gallo being on the roster.

I'd keep Stevenson over Luplow. He's a good defender and can steal a base. Luplow really doesn't offer much. He had a nice HR on Friday but has basically done nothing outside of that.

At this point I'd vote not to put Buxton on the post season roster. Shut him down and get him healthy for next year. Secondly, Gallo...what has he really done this season that warrants a spot on the post season roster? Unless he is an extremely positive influence in the locker room and in the dugout, I really don't see the value.

Top Bottom