All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

It's amazing how much better the line-up looks when black holes Vazquez and Gallo aren't stacked at the bottom of it. Gallo should be gone and Vazquez should start zero play-off games.
It's hard to believe Vazquez just hit 23 HR not that long ago. He doesn't even swing hard most of the time.

What do you do about it though? I get it from both sides. Francona obviously knew it was over, meaning they've pretty much got to win the next two to stay alive, so he wants all hands on deck. And it doesn't help the situation that it's a noon start on Wednesday.
Implement a rule. I am willing to bet that changes next year and the earliest you can do it is in the 8th inning. This is especially true when teams have 28 player rosters and 15 pitchers on the roster. They just changed the rule for this season where the leading team have to be up by 10 or more runs and can only pitch in the 9th while the trialing team has to be down by 8 but their is no inning rule. So in that respect you are actually punishing the team in the lead.

Can you imagine if the rule had not been there and the twins brought in a position player to pitch in the 6th like Cleveland. You would have had 2 guys throwing 40 mph stuff to mlb hitters for 4 innings. In a game that prides itself on the tradition and scarcity of their record books, to allow this to happen is funny. Then to add in the “unwritten rules” crowd that complains when you swing on a 3-0 pitch late in a one-sided game and hit a homer run. They want a fastball thrown at you the next time you bat. It’s just a mockery of the sport and should not be allowed.

as long as it's within the current rules, Francona had every right to do what he did. He sees the game is over and wants to save his bullpen for the next two days.

for the Twins, I suspect that the plan was to have Headrick finish the game, but when he started hitting batters, Rocco had to get him out of there.

but here's my thought - of the 14 position players for each team, I bet that most if not all of them have pitched at some point - at least in HS. Wallner pitched in college. you would think that someone should be able to throw the ball over or near the plate with some velocity. this idea of lobbing up 55-mph 'eephus" pitches is what looks bad.

as long as it's within the current rules, Francona had every right to do what he did. He sees the game is over and wants to save his bullpen for the next two days.

for the Twins, I suspect that the plan was to have Headrick finish the game, but when he started hitting batters, Rocco had to get him out of there.

but here's my thought - of the 14 position players for each team, I bet that most if not all of them have pitched at some point - at least in HS. Wallner pitched in college. you would think that someone should be able to throw the ball over or near the plate with some velocity. this idea of lobbing up 55-mph 'eephus" pitches is what looks bad.
My guess is they don’t want to blow out their arm as Canseco did once upon a time; it’s a different motion/follow through and is not like “riding a bike.”

FWIW I pitched in HS.

So I just got to the home run from Polanco. There is without a doubt that was a homerun. If it hit the pad the yellow line would have moved. It didn’t, it hit the concrete behind the yellow line. That was a theft of a run.

So I just got to the home run from Polanco. There is without a doubt that was a homerun. If it hit the pad the yellow line would have moved. It didn’t, it hit the concrete behind the yellow line. That was a theft of a run.
👍
It also wouldn’t have bounced like a super ball 100 feet in the air either.

I don’t love taking Wallner out for Luplow in the 6th. I get it Moore is a lefty, but that spot is going to come up at least once more tonight and you would
Much rather have Wallner vs Luplow.

Also we have reached the point in the season where Andrew Stephenson is pitch hitting against a righty as opposed to Gallo. Gallo is gone when the twins return home.

This whole narrative that the guardians do all the “small” things right in 2023 could not be more incorrect. They are an enormously flawed team.

If we can keep hitting like this, we’ll win our first playoff game and series- we’re chilling like a villain 🦹‍♀️.

24 games left in season.

Twins' magic number is 19.
With tonight's victory, Twins Magic # is 17. Season series is also now tied at 6 so I believe tomorrow's game is worth 3.

If someone wants to check me on that, go ahead by all means.

I was told that there would be no math involved.

Top Bottom