All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Welp, next 3 are huge. It seems they purposely saved the good arms so they’re available tomorrow.
They mentioned that on the broadcast and have no problem with it as we can bury the Guards in this series and end it. If the next series wasn’t against them, then there’s reason to squawk 🦜.

Last edited:

Or they will find another phantom injury. Michael A Taylor could use a break if they want to look at Stephenson. I would be really surprised if Solano isn't on the playoff roster.

Well it turns out they didn't need to find a phantom injury. Although it seemed pretty likely that Taylor was the likely candidate for a time out.

I'll give the Twins credit in this regard.....they have done a pretty nice job building depth at the top of the organization this previous offseason to where it isn't obvious to whom the 40 man roster spots should be given. Solano/Farmer/Castro/Taylor have all been useful depth pieces and when coupled with their own minor league players performing well (Julien/Kirilloff/Lewis/Wallner) have made it difficult to navigate the roster. In that sense it has made all the "injuries" a good way to manage the roster. Gallo may have been the one major whiff.

The bullpen is the likely "yeah but" to my point but I would argue the bullpen is always a crapshoot to a certain extent. It's hard to understand how players like Jorge Lopez and Taylor Rogers are so dominant for one stretch and awful for the next. They could have added another option or two at the trade deadline, sure. But I actually have a bigger issue with the usage of the bullpen than the players themselves.

Finally sands is going down. Surprised there were not more moves to get Kiriloff on the roster. I get they always want to wait for a homestand, but you win 2 of 3 in Cleveland and it’s over.

#nostandards.

They could employ literally anyone else at first base / DH and get the same if not better results.

Louis has been prepping for da pen ( featuring a major velocity upgrade) -

Varland prepping for the bullpen​

Left-hander Brent Headrick was called up for the fourth time this season on Sept. 1, along with Stevenson, to provide some long relief while the Twins sort through other relief options, including Stewart, Paddack and Alcala rehabbing from injuries and Varland being prepped for bullpen work after starting all year.

Varland made a 54-pitch relief appearance Thursday in St. Paul, throwing four innings of one-run ball with four strikeouts. His fastball averaged 97.2 mph and topped out at 100.2 mph. That’s a big velocity jump from his 94.9 mph average fastball velocity as a starter and one of the reasons the Twins think the 25-year-old rookie could make an impact as a reliever down the stretch.

Last edited:

Finally sands is going down. Surprised there were not more moves to get Kiriloff on the roster. I get they always want to wait for a homestand, but you win 2 of 3 in Cleveland and it’s over.
I get being cautious with Kiriloff. But it's also September and you have 28 man rosters. Just get him up here. Keeping Gallo even one more series is just pathetic.

He’s likely not ready and if he gets hurt, it’ll defeat the purpose of the move.

Patience Grasshopper

Last edited:

Lucas!!!!

Maybe you can hurl for the Fort Myers Mighty Mussels next year😎

He’s likely not ready and if he gets hurt, it’ll defeat the purpose of the move.

Patience Grasshopper
But does it really if it means keeping Gallo on the roster. Like bring him up and if he gets hurt he gets hurt. You are not in any worse position roster wise in the immediate. Plus it’s not like Kirilloff is not hitting the ball hard in triple A.

But does it really if it means keeping Gallo on the roster. Like bring him up and if he gets hurt he gets hurt. You are not in any worse position roster wise in the immediate. Plus it’s not like Kirilloff is not hitting the ball hard in triple A.
They discovered, just Ike every other team has, that coming off an injury rehab games are needed; they didn’t with the initial injuries to Kepler, Buxton and Theilbar and all ended up injured again . It’s not about results, it’s about process, as the difference between Triple A pitching and majors is light years.

Don’t let your enmity for Gallo prevent you from enjoying the game; don’t major in the minors as my first sales manager likes to remind me, or do and enjoy that instead. Your call.

I am old enough to remember a Sept loss to Cleveland during a pennant race many yrs ago that sealed our fate. We were ahead by 10 runs in that game . . .

I am old enough to remember a Sept loss to Cleveland during a pennant race many yrs ago that sealed our fate. We were ahead by 10 runs in that game . . .
1984, with Frank Viola on the mound. One day after the infamous Jamie Quirk homer off Ron Davis.

Yep, Hrbek or Gaetti snapped a bat walking out of the dugout.

At least I think it was something like that.

Yep, Hrbek or Gaetti snapped a bat walking out of the dugout.

At least I think it was something like that.

Yep. I still remember listening to that game on the radio as the score got closer and closer. The result seemed inevitable.

By the way, I went to Walmart last week to buy a radio. They don't sell them anymore. I'm old.

Those young guys took their lumps early but a foundation for excellence was laid.
Could we have a group of 24-26 yr olds now on a similar path?
I think we do!

Good drafting especially for Walllner, Jeffers and Julien- Royce was an obvious.

Last edited:

Top Bottom