All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Kuechel was the hero of the day. 5 innings of scoreless relief.

I've seen suggestions that this could be the blueprint going forward - pair Ober and Kuechel to keep Ober's innings under control. also seen suggestions that Ober could move into the bullpen for the playoffs.

as noted above, Floro had a really good inning in the top of the 13th. I was driving back from SE MN and caught parts of the game on different radio stations. lost the signal in the top of the 13th, then found another station about 10 minutes later and was pleasantly surprised to find out Floro had kept them in the game.

World Series contenders: Six dark horse candidates for the Fall Classic​

Twins, +3000​

Let's just get this out of the way. Yes, the Twins have lost 18 consecutive playoff games as a franchise. In terms of the impact on the field in 2023, considering they haven't made a playoff game since 2020, it is absolutely zero. The 1984 Cubs had NOTHING to do with the 2016 Cubs, just as the 2010 Twins have nothing to do with the 2023 Twins. Put this losing streak nonsense out of your mind when handicapping games.

Now, the Twins are likely to be either the worst playoff teams or one of the two worst along with the third NL wild-card winner.

However, you can squint your way to a deep run here much like the Phillies made last year when they toppled the mighty Braves and someone else took care of the mighty Dodgers. With Sonny Gray, Pablo López and then two of Bailey Ober, Joe Ryan and Kenta Maeda, the Twins will have a formidable playoff rotation. There are lockdown arms at the back of the bullpen. The offense hasn't lived up to it at all this season, but there is a lot of talent in there. Carlos Correa and Byron Buxton in particular could catch fire for a month. We've seen better from several others who shouldn't be past their primes, too.

Verdict: I'm not taking them, but this is another defensible play. I used the word "intriguing" above and they are definitely intriguing if we're just talking about who could make a shocking run.

Win Twins!!

If Buxton and Kirilloff are back

DH Julien
3B Lewis
RF Kepler
SS Correa
2B Polanco
CF Buxton
LF Wallner
C Jeffers
1B Kirilloff

Or just about any combination of that would be ok with me.

If Buxton and Kirilloff are back

DH Julien
3B Lewis
RF Kepler
SS Correa
2B Polanco
CF Buxton
LF Wallner
C Jeffers
1B Kirilloff

Or just about any combination of that would be ok with me.
Where’s Joey?😉

Maybe Buck gets his grove back as he’s roaming where he wants to and he knows the young dudes can legit help - that could be a formidable lineup.

Ober sent down, Funderburk brought up. Another lefty in the pen was needed.

As long as we don't get swept, should be fine.

I agree but surly there was a bullpen arm that could have been sent down as opposed to Ober. Cole Sands comes to mind as someone that is basically just taking up a roster spot and never being asked to contribute.

Here’s to bringing the Funk -

In the corresponding move, the Twins bolstered their left-handed bullpen depth by calling up reliever Kody Funderburk, who had a 2.60 ERA with 75 strikeouts in 52 innings with Triple-A St. Paul this season. They moved Oliver Ortega to the 60-day IL to make room on the 40-man roster.

I agree but surly there was a bullpen arm that could have been sent down as opposed to Ober. Cole Sands comes to mind as someone that is basically just taking up a roster spot and never being asked to contribute.
It’s better for Ober to get sent down so he can pitch and hopefully figure things out. I’d rather have Sands sitting there doing nothing than Ober.

Top Bottom