All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

The White Sox are making noise about leaving the south side of Chicago. Having an AL Central rival in Nashville would be fun for Twins fans, though I suspect the AL-NL Divisions may realign before their lease is up in 6 years.

By comparison the crosstown Cubs on the north side play in Wrigley Field that is 75+ years older than the "New" Comiskey. Of course, the Friendly Confines just had a $740 Million renovation.

The twins bullpen may not have been fixed at the trading deadline. Of course the offense can always score more runs.

The strategy here is just laughable. You pull Ober early for some reason. And then just leave Floro in to give up 5 runs.

Also is Fylan Floro really the only guy available out of the pen after an off day.
He’s the sixth inning guy, Jax/Theilbar 7 & 8 and Duran as closer - thus is what they/we use in games we’re ahead which are close. This is not an uncommon approach in Major League Baseball - players like to know mentally when their slot is up or if it Isn’t.

The other guys in the pen pitch when we’re behind or way ahead. Perkins and Morneau outlined this approach during the last series. Rocko and the FO didn’t invent this methodology.

The issue is that they needed to secure an additional arm and didn’t - that ain’t on the manager.

He’s the sixth inning guy, Jax/Theilbar 7 & 8 and Duran as closer - thus is what they/we use in games we’re ahead which are close. This is not an uncommon approach in Major League Baseball - players like to know mentally when their slot is up or if it Isn’t.

The other guys in the pen pitch when we’re behind or way ahead. Perkins and Morneau outlined this approach during the last series. Rocko and the FO didn’t invent this methodology.

The issue is that they needed to secure an additional arm and didn’t - that ain’t on the manager.
Pagan has been better. It was also against their heart of the order so why not throw one of your better guys?

Ober has also pitched 131.2 innings this year (this total includes his Triple A innings as well) - significantly more than in either of the last 2 seasons, when his major league career started -only the second time he has thrown over 100 in a professional season -

Last edited:

Pagan has been better. It was also against their heart of the order so why not throw one of your better guys?
I don’t know I’m not the manager; I’m simply relaying what was previously mentioned on a telecast, that they like Floro for the 6th. I omitted Pagan and it seems like he’s in the 7/8 inning mix and yes he’s been good as his velocity iis better now,per an article in The Athletic

Was everyone available tonight? If yes, then that’s a question the media may ask him on why Floro and not someone else.

I don’t blame the manager one bit for the bullpen. The mess he is forced to use for any inning not the 8th or 9th is on the front office.

as noted above, Ober has already established a new professional high for innings pitched and there are 5 weeks left in the season.

Bottom line - Dylan Floro is on a major-league roster. He is paid to (at least try) to get major-league hitters out. He did not. having said that, if Correa catches that ball, that would have meant 3 fewer runs scored in the inning.

it's easy to criticize decisions that don't work out.

I will be in attendance for the game today. I fully expect to lose 5-10 pounds due to the heat and humidity. Hoping the twins get the offense going.

I will be in attendance for the game today. I fully expect to lose 5-10 pounds due to the heat and humidity. Hoping the twins get the offense going.
No AC at Miller Park?!?

What is this the HHH Dome circa 1982? No wonder the Brewers are threatening to move.

Last edited:

as noted above, Ober has already established a new professional high for innings pitched and there are 5 weeks left in the season.

So? What are the Twins waiting for? They're always 'resting and saving guys'. It has only been 19 years since the last playoff win...

Ober was pitching well and only had 78 pitches. If he had 90, I can see pulling him, but pulling him after 78 is ridiculous.

They're already talking about moving to a 6 man rotation, how much more careful do they need to be? Seal the division, let guys who need to rest do that after the division is sealed, and then head into the playoffs rested and ready to go.

So? What are the Twins waiting for? They're always 'resting and saving guys'. It has only been 19 years since the last playoff win...

Ober was pitching well and only had 78 pitches. If he had 90, I can see pulling him, but pulling him after 78 is ridiculous.

They're already talking about moving to a 6 man rotation, how much more careful do they need to be? Seal the division, let guys who need to rest do that after the division is sealed, and then head into the playoffs rested and ready to go.
I can even see pulling him after 78 pitches if his last inning was a mess, but it wasn't. He was mowing them down. This team operates on a "just wait, be patient" mentality. Like you said, what are you waiting for?

It’s mind blowing that they don’t have AC. We were at the day game against the Twins last year. It was a hot day, not as hot as today but pretty warm and humid. But there were showers in the area early on so the roof was closed for the first few innings. It was a sauna in there.

Bottom line - Dylan Floro is on a major-league roster. He is paid to (at least try) to get major-league hitters out. He did not. having said that, if Correa catches that ball, that would have meant 3 fewer runs scored in the inning.

it's easy to criticize decisions that don't work out.
And not to compliment those which succeed

Top Bottom