All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

🤪 I was referring to his best fielding position 🙄
It’s still DH. He has to devote his entire off season to learning 1st base. That is his only ticket to playing everyday next year once Gallo is gone. Kiriloff can’t be trusted to stay healthy and they have lots of other infielders that can field and hit.

The twins have 8 people in the bullpen. 3 of them are Josh Winder, Cole Sands, and Jordan Balazovic who are all unusable. That means 38% of their bullpen can only pitch in cleanup rolls. That is not a good thing. This is squarely on the front office and there is no one on their roster who can fix their bullpen issues.

Detroit beats Cleveland tonight, moves within 2.5 games of second place.

It’s still DH. He has to devote his entire off season to learning 1st base. That is his only ticket to playing everyday next year once Gallo is gone. Kiriloff can’t be trusted to stay healthy and they have lots of other infielders that can field and hit.
I never said he was a average/adequate second sacker, simply that it’s his best current fielding position - careful you’re moving towards your MauGopher persona 😬

Last edited:

38 games left. If we go .500 rest of the way:

Cleveland would need 24 - 14 to tie us.
Detroit would need 26 -12 to tie us.

If we can just win every other game, should be playoff baseball at Target Field come October.

The twins have 8 people in the bullpen. 3 of them are Josh Winder, Cole Sands, and Jordan Balazovic who are all unusable. That means 38% of their bullpen can only pitch in cleanup rolls. That is not a good thing. This is squarely on the front office and there is no one on their roster who can fix their bullpen issues.
It's simply baffing how they did nothing to address the bullpen before the season, and then the only deadline move was moving one broken reliever for another. I don't understand the reasoning.

Wallner back in the lineup today
Neat-0 article by Do-Hyong Park, the Twins beat writer for MLB -

Matt Wallner Speed Demon (is there anything he cannot do? Did anyone see him play in HS?)

Looks can be deceiving.

Matt Wallner has already been a Statcast darling in his short MLB career for the various ways in which he can put up eye-popping numbers, from his mammoth home run distances to the radar gun outputs generated by his Howitzer of a right arm.

But who would have thought the 6-foot-4, 220-pound oak tree of a man would also surprise with his speed?

“I can get moving,” Wallner said. “It just takes me a minute to get going, so that’s kind of a big focus, get going a bit faster. But once I’m going, I’m good. But I’m going to work on that, to get going faster, first step, it’s something I’m trying to incorporate in my game for sure.”

According to Statcast, Wallner’s average sprint speed of 28.3 feet per second ranks fourth on the team, behind exactly who you’d expect: Byron Buxton, Michael A. Taylor and Castro. That’s solidly above average, which is considered to be 27 feet per second.

On top of that, Wallner’s sprint speed on an individual play has topped out at 29.4 feet per second this season, when he beat out a potential double-play grounder during a game against the D-backs on Aug. 6. Considering 30 is considered the standard for “elite” speed, that’s astounding for a man of Wallner’s size and skillset.

Is there more in the tank beyond that?

“I don’t know,” Wallner said. “It just depends. That’s about as good as it gets, probably. Maybe a little bit more, but not much.”

16 whiffs divided by 8 innings at the plate equals 🟰 how many per inning ?????

37 games to go and in the loss column we are 6 up on Cleveland and 7 up on Detroit.
Would be really bad if we lost the division at this point. Should be pretty much in the bag. Probly most of us would feel Detroit a bigger threat than Cleveland.

Today was as fun of a 2-0 game could be, listening to on my back from Chicago. I don't think I missed a batter while picking up the signal on 5 different radio stations.

Yesterday, made a game day decision to check the Cubs out at Wrigley against the Royals. They won 6-4 behind 2 Bellinger HRs, helped by the wind gusting out. I have now seen the Cubbies go 3-0 vs the AL Central (@ Min & vs Cle were the others).

As a bonus sitting down LF line in the loge section, got a great view of some of the jets in the Air and Water show. Amazing.

Julien will also have to demonstrate he can hit lefthanded pitching to play every day. I know it's a limited sample size but today was his first extra base hit against southpaws.

Dallas Keuchel, who took a perfect game into the 7th inning today, had ERAS of 5.28 in 2021 and 9.22 in 2022.

He came into today's game with an ERA of 9.45. Today's victory brought that ERA down to 4.85.

Baseball can be hard to predict.

and the Magic Number is 32.

mansplaining - the magic number means any combination of Twins wins or Cleveland losses adding up to 32 means the Twins clinch the division. Cleveland also has 37 games left. so, for example, if the Twins go 17-20 the rest of the way, Cleveland would have to go 23-14 to win the division.

The 2021 Chicago Cubs hold the record for most offensive strike outs in a season with 1,596. I admire that they went all out to top the 2019 Detroit Tigers by 1 whiff, at 1,595.

Currently the Twins through 125 games have K'd in 1,289 ABs. They are on pace for 1,670 to obliterate the record if they get all 162 in.

Dallas Keuchel, who took a perfect game into the 7th inning today, had ERAS of 5.28 in 2021 and 9.22 in 2022.

He came into today's game with an ERA of 9.45. Today's victory brought that ERA down to 4.85.

Baseball can be hard to predict.
Maybe Keuchel is going to try a second act with Mark Eichhorn in mind. For younger folks, he was a soft tossing pitcher in the 80's and 90's. For true baseball diehards, you may find this nostalgic look back interesting:

I predict Twin City Fan will be the team's uniform sponsor. It makes too much sense...

I predict Twin City Fan will be the team's uniform sponsor. It makes too much sense...

Target would be appropriate.

Perhaps that logo would result in the Twins leading the league in batters being Hit by Pitches.

Top Bottom