All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

That was stealing. Again when you leave it up to a 50/50 call by the umpire I have no sympathy for you.

Let’s keep acting like we have a good and deep bullpen.
Gleeman said they are considering moving Varland to the pen, as they think his stuff is a bit limited to be a major league starter and they think he can get up to the higher 90s if he only has to go an inning at a time - worked with Jax

Gleeman said they are considering moving Varland to the pen, as they think his stuff is a bit limited to be a major league starter and they think he can get up to the higher 90s if he only has to go an inning at a time - worked with Jax
It’s worth a shot.

Nice series win after winning 3-0 in Philly today. Always nice beating that shithole of a city in anything
Ever been to Philly or is this just a thingy you heard on 🦊?

Lots to do and see if you ❤️ history and the founding of America 🇺🇸 😉.

Last edited:

Ever been to Philly or is this just a thingy you heard on 🦊?

Lots to do and see if you ❤️ history and the founding of America 🇺🇸 😉.

So not a pro-Liberty Bell 🔔 American?
Been to Philly a handful of times. Yes the history of the city is cool. Enjoy that part of the city. I was just there not long ago for a wedding. It’s gotten really bad. Not to mention the absolute worse sports fans in the country. I am a bit biased as I’m a small town guy so big cities generally turn me off but Philly is on top of the list for sure

Been to Philly a handful of times. Yes the history of the city is cool. Enjoy that part of the city. I was just there not long ago for a wedding. It’s gotten really bad. Not to mention the absolute worse sports fans in the country. I am a bit biased as I’m a small town guy so big cities generally turn me off but Philly is on top of the list for sure
For as much crap as Jersey gets, Philly is like a trashier version of New Jersey. I've always hated the city, hated the airport, and hated the fans.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your perspective.

I’m thinking maybe I’ll go see a game there next season to check out the park, but I won’t wear my Mets 🧢.

An amusing and purportedly true “Philly being Philly” gem, is that at the old Vet Stadium they used to have a jail set up during 🦅 games as there were so many fights and D&Ds.

Now that’s classy 🤓

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your perspective.

I’m thinking maybe I’ll go see a game there next season to check out the park, but I won’t wear my Mets 🧢.

An amusing and purportedly true “Philly being Philly” gem, is that at the old Vet Stadium they used to have a jail set up during 🦅 games as there were so many fights and D&Ds.

Now that’s classy 🤓
I do recommend going to see the first prison ever built in the US. Built back in the mid 1800’s and was in use up until the early 70’s. Al Capone was jailed there and they have his cell like it was back then. Just a bit nicer than the other ones

I don't know if you could even place a bet on this ---

But what could someone win in Vegas if they placed a bet that Joey Gallo would get 4 hits in a game? (I believe a first in his MLB career).
The odds would have been astronomical.

I do recommend going to see the first prison ever built in the US. Built back in the mid 1800’s and was in use up until the early 70’s. Al Capone was jailed there and they have his cell like it was back then. Just a bit nicer than the other
I just saw a show which covered how he ended up in a Philly jail - it was related to the infamous St. Valentines Day Massacre.

That event was in the same timeframe as the killing of Sal Maranzano and the establishment of The Commission which Lucky Luciano started. At the initial meeting in Atlantic City which Nucky Thompson hosted, he convinces Al to take a year IIRC on a bootlegging charge, so someone was locked up. Al was a coke head going nuts as syphilis was rotting his brain, but he’d listen to Lucky as they grew up in Brooklyn.

Last edited:

Statistical oddity non-Gallo related, per the Rangers broadcast -

Schrezer has finished in the top 5 for the Cy Young 7 years in a row - winning three times.

Last edited:

I just saw a show which covered how he ended up in a Philly jail - it was related to the infamous St. Valentines Day Massacre.

That event was in the same timeframe as the killing of Sal Maranzano and the establishment of The Commission which Lucky Luciano started. At the initial meeting in Atlantic City which Nucky Thompson hosted, he convinces Al to take a year IIRC on a bootlegging charge, so someone was locked up. Al was a coke head going nuts as syphilis was rotting his brain, but he’d listen to Lucky as they grew up in Brooklyn.
Boardwalk Empire?

Boardwalk Empire?
The Making of The Mob on AMC+

Decent production quality and acting, not as good as Boardwalk, but nothing that’ll make you shake your head. It uses the chronological events to tell the story, so it’s more of a TV documentary than a TV show based on event and since it’s sequential, it’s easy to follow the plot.

Season 1 tells NYC
Season 2 tells Chicago

If you like that genre, it’s excellent in going through how these guys ended up being those guys - you know what I’m talkin’ bout?

Will be interesting to see what happens with Keuchel’s next start which would be on Friday.

With the off-days yesterday and Thursday do they skip him? Or do we see the return of Louie? I’m posted previously about him possibly being moved to the pen, but based on his recent stellar performances and Dallas’ numbers since 2020.

Gleeman gleefully has this covered -

Dallas Keuchel vs. Louie Varland​

Joe Ryan’s groin strain created the latest of the aforementioned choices between veterans and youngsters, and not surprisingly the Twins went with 35-year-old Dallas Keuchel over 25-year-old Louie Varland as the rotation fill-in.

Keuchel escaped enough jams to get through five innings of one-run ball in his Twins debut versus the Diamondbacks, but he allowed 10 baserunners without recording a strikeout. He again failed to record a strikeout in his second Twins start against the Phillies, but this time Keuchel couldn’t wriggle out of damage, giving up six runs before getting knocked out in the second inning.

Keuchel has never relied on big-time velocity and he’s never been a strikeout pitcher, but that doesn’t mean those things don’t matter. He’s throwing 87-88 mph now, compared to 90-91 mph at his peak. And facing 36 batters without generating a single strikeout is still a bright red flag for a pitcher who averaged 6.9 strikeouts per nine innings for his career before this season.

Even at his best, Keuchel was walking a fine line that required commanding his sinker at the edges of the strike zone to induce tons of weak contact and double plays. His margin for error has vanished, and what’s left has not been an MLB-caliber pitcher since 2020. Keuchel is on his fourth team since then, posting a 6.44 ERA in 46 starts while allowing 400 baserunners in 229 innings.

Varland is 5-0 with a 2.52 ERA in eight Triple-A starts since July 1, posting a 43-to-8 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 42 2/3 innings. He was also the Twins minor league pitcher of the week for last week as well.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Keuchel’s next start which would be on Friday.

With the off-days yesterday and Thursday do they skip him? Or do we see the return of Louie? I’m posted previously about him possibly being moved to the pen, but based on his recent stellar performances and Dallas’ numbers since 2020.

Gleeman gleefully has this covered -

Dallas Keuchel vs. Louie Varland​

Joe Ryan’s groin strain created the latest of the aforementioned choices between veterans and youngsters, and not surprisingly the Twins went with 35-year-old Dallas Keuchel over 25-year-old Louie Varland as the rotation fill-in.

Keuchel escaped enough jams to get through five innings of one-run ball in his Twins debut versus the Diamondbacks, but he allowed 10 baserunners without recording a strikeout. He again failed to record a strikeout in his second Twins start against the Phillies, but this time Keuchel couldn’t wriggle out of damage, giving up six runs before getting knocked out in the second inning.

Keuchel has never relied on big-time velocity and he’s never been a strikeout pitcher, but that doesn’t mean those things don’t matter. He’s throwing 87-88 mph now, compared to 90-91 mph at his peak. And facing 36 batters without generating a single strikeout is still a bright red flag for a pitcher who averaged 6.9 strikeouts per nine innings for his career before this season.

Even at his best, Keuchel was walking a fine line that required commanding his sinker at the edges of the strike zone to induce tons of weak contact and double plays. His margin for error has vanished, and what’s left has not been an MLB-caliber pitcher since 2020. Keuchel is on his fourth team since then, posting a 6.44 ERA in 46 starts while allowing 400 baserunners in 229 innings.

Varland is 5-0 with a 2.52 ERA in eight Triple-A starts since July 1, posting a 43-to-8 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 42 2/3 innings. He was also the Twins minor league pitcher of the week for last week as well.
I'll give Debbie Does Dallas one more start and see how he does

I noticed in the twins injury dump today there was no mention of Kirilloff. That doesn’t fill me with confidence that he will be back before the season is over.

What’s the thing about mediocre teams from Detroit against Minnesota?

Even when the Lions sucked, they gave the Vikings a hard time.

The Timberwolves lost twice to the Pistons.

The Wild lost at at Detroit.

Now the Twins are making 5.00+ ERA pitchers look like Cy Young.

Top Bottom