All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Why play Kepler at first and not AK? AK is a much better first baseman than OF and Kepler has emphatically told the Twins he doesn’t like playing CF and that’s why he wasn’t there last season(per Gleeman).

He seems like the type of player who needs a consistent routine to thrive, some players aren’t flexible and he’s in a great groove now - he’s the last player I’d move.

AK can play corner spots when Wallner and Kepler need a day off or also DH.

I think Buck is done for the year and quietly won’t return.

They mentioned on the telecast that there is no need to rush Royce up now, as the bats are sizzling. You can mix and match Polanco and Lewis and send Farmer to the phantom IR if need be; plus there may end up being another injury in the last 7 weeks if the season.
I was talking about before AK is back. Lewis has started his rehab and AK hasn't so I'm guessing Lewis is back first. They could get rid of Gallo when Lewis is ready but that would mean Solano can only play 1B. Kepler could if really needed but probably not something you'd want him doing a lot.

I think Luplow will be the first guy gone. Once Lewis is back, Castro and Taylor can play the OF against lefties.

I was talking about before AK is back. Lewis has started his rehab and AK hasn't so I'm guessing Lewis is back first. They could get rid of Gallo when Lewis is ready but that would mean Solano can only play 1B. Kepler could if really needed but probably not something you'd want him doing a lot.

I think Luplow will be the first guy gone. Once Lewis is back, Castro and Taylor can play the OF against lefties.
Thanks for clarifying. Last hired, first fired.

It will be interesting to see who survives, If need be, out of the Farmer/Solano/Castro trifecta.

I think there’s another injury (real or phantom) down the line to one of them.

Thanks for clarifying. Last hired, first fired.

It will be interesting to see who survives, If need be, out of the Farmer/Solano/Castro trifecta.

I think there’s another injury (real or phantom) down the line to one of them.
There always is. It seems to work itself out one way or another.

the roster shuffle hinges on where Lewis is going to play - and also on how long Buxton is out.

If Lewis plays 3B, they could put Polanco at 2B and DH Julien - or DH Jeffers against a LHP.

My question is this - do they put Lewis back in CF for another shot? Do they trust him to keep from running into the wall and getting hurt again? because Lewis in CF allows more flexibility in the infield.

the real issue is what happens when/if Buxton and Kirilloff are back. then the front office is going to have to make some roster decisions.

the roster shuffle hinges on where Lewis is going to play - and also on how long Buxton is out.

If Lewis plays 3B, they could put Polanco at 2B and DH Julien - or DH Jeffers against a LHP.

My question is this - do they put Lewis back in CF for another shot? Do they trust him to keep from running into the wall and getting hurt again? because Lewis in CF allows more flexibility in the infield.

the real issue is what happens when/if Buxton and Kirilloff are back. then the front office is going to have to make some roster decisions.
Doogie today mentioned on SkorNorth that a likely move when Lewis is ready is to just go with a 12 man pitching staff.

I think that would work, enough off days in the coming weeks (8/14, 8/17, 8/21, & 8/31) to manage it. There is a 9 game in a row stretch 8/22 - 8/30, may have to shuttle if they get taxed.

Sept 1st rosters expand to 28.

Doogie today mentioned on SkorNorth that a likely move when Lewis is ready is to just go with a 12 man pitching staff.

I think that would work, enough off days in the coming weeks (8/14, 8/17, 8/21, & 8/31) to manage it. There is a 9 game in a row stretch 8/22 - 8/30, may have to shuttle if they get taxed.

Somebody will no doubt be hurt by then as well.

I keep forgetting we're only a few weeks away from the expanded rosters.

Somebody will no doubt be hurt by then as well.
Jinx. Solano pulled from the game with an ankle/foot issue as he scampered back to 1st after rounding on a single.

At least this lefty is actually good that is dominating the twins tonight.

The twins inability to hit lefties as an entire line-up is truly remarkable. It’s not just the lefty batter either it’s the right handed guys too.

Jinx. Solano pulled from the game with an ankle/foot issue as he scampered back to 1st after rounding on a single.
Update on Solano via Twins Radio, knee issue.

Yeah, we’ll be okay without Sidewinder.

If solano os hurt for an extended period of time Chris Williams needs to be added to the 40 man and called up to fill in. You can not simply bring up Larnach.

If solano os hurt for an extended period of time Chris Williams needs to be added to the 40 man and called up to fill in. You can not simply bring up Larnach.
Why????

And where do you play him (be specific please)? They’re obviously not going to cut Vasquez, which would be silly to do, as you’d have no catcher with major experience if Jeffers gets injured; and if they ain’t cut Gallo by now, Javy ain’t gonna be the first one on the chopping block.

His average is down to .250 and even with a better average this season he has a.231 (which means excluding this year he’s in the .220s) career average and hit.192 last year at St. Paul. This tells me he is regressing to the mean.

He’s 26 years old and there’s reasons he’s not on the 40 man roster; he appears from said data to be the second coming of Crash Davis vs. Butch Wynegar.

Last edited:

Any other seam heads out there try this? Warning it's quite addicting. I finally got a perfect board yesterday after a few weeks of failed efforts.

Foiled today by failing to come up with a Ranger notching 20 Ws in a season. Guessed Charlie Hough. Fail.

Turns out there's only 3 ever and neither are Ryan nor Blyleven. One is a very notable HoF pitcher though.

It spoiled my super rare Mike Cubbage (0.03%) pull in the Ranges/Mets cube. Sigh.

Why????

And where do you play him (be specific please)? They’re obviously not going to cut Vasquez, which would be silly to do, as you’d have no catcher with major experience if Jeffers gets injured; and if they ain’t cut Gallo by now, Javy ain’t gonna be the first one on the chopping block.

His average is down to .250 and even with a better average this season he has a.231 (which means excluding this year he’s in the .220s) career average and hit.192 last year at St. Paul. This tells me he is regressing to the mean.

He’s 26 years old and there’s reasons he’s not on the 40 man roster; he appears from said data to be the second coming of Crash Davis vs. Butch Wynegar.
Williams is a right handed bat and they need a right handed bat.

He can play first base and also be a third catcher. That frees up Jeffers to DH with Buxton, which would help that spot.

I agree they won’t cut Gallo but he needs to not play so much. With the other people on the roster and the fame system Gallo does not need to be playing 4 of the 6 games each week.

The twins have not been prepping anyone to play first base, which is why Gallo keeps playing. The twins should have been having Larnach, Julien, or Wallner play and practice at 1st base so they are not reliant on Gallo now that Kiriloff is hurt and my not come back this season.

Plus let’s just try something new. We saw Larnach come up last injury for someone and I think he struck out in every plate appearance he took.

I don’t know all the rules with De Leon being hurt, but could he not be taken off the 40 man roster. There is now way a 31 year old bullpen arm who is injured would be claimed.

I don’t know all the rules with De Leon being hurt, but could he not be taken off the 40 man roster. There is now way a 31 year old bullpen arm who is injured would be claimed.

I'm pretty sure he is already on the 60 day IL, which doesn't count against your 40 man roster. I believe this is true, but somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Foiled today by failing to come up with a Ranger notching 20 Ws in a season. Guessed Charlie Hough. Fail.

Turns out there's only 3 ever and neither are Ryan nor Blyleven. One is a very notable HoF pitcher though.

It spoiled my super rare Mike Cubbage (0.03%) pull in the Ranges/Mets cube. Sigh.
Paging (Tim) Fergie Jenkins?

I played buckets with Tim Jenkins in jr. High and as we were in the heyday of Boomer on SportsCenter, he morphed into Fergie Jenkins who was an excellent hurler for the Cubbies and then the Strangers (as they were known then @ Central Jr. Hi). HOF IIRC?

Williams is a right handed bat and they need a right handed bat.

He can play first base and also be a third catcher. That frees up Jeffers to DH with Buxton, which would help that spot.

I agree they won’t cut Gallo but he needs to not play so much. With the other people on the roster and the fame system Gallo does not need to be playing 4 of the 6 games each week.

The twins have not been prepping anyone to play first base, which is why Gallo keeps playing. The twins should have been having Larnach, Julien, or Wallner play and practice at 1st base so they are not reliant on Gallo now that Kiriloff is hurt and my not come back this season.

Plus let’s just try something new. We saw Larnach come up last injury for someone and I think he struck out in every plate appearance he took.

Excellent response and you’re right the Twins should have been prepping someone to slide into Gallo’s spot when The Joey Gallo Project reached its inevitable ruination (shout out to all my Alan Parsons & Randy Disher Project bros).

Alas, poor Yorick, I feign that we will soon be haunted by 🥔 . Williams isn’t the only one whose been playing some first sack for the Saints - 🧄 has been as well and is listed in this stat, as such, HR leaders for them (see link below). Even though he isn’t on the 40 man either, we’ve seen the Twins are loyal to a fault and to a Colme and Shoemaker as well.

Long term I favor Wallner- big targets save lots of errors and he’s a good enough athlete to be a Poor man’s Freddie Freeman ?

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure he is already on the 60 day IL, which doesn't count against your 40 man roster. I believe this is true, but somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct on De Leon, on the 60 Day IL.

Paging (Tim) Fergie Jenkins?

I played buckets with Tim Jenkins in jr. High and as we were in the heyday of Boomer on SportsCenter, he morphed into Fergie Jenkins who was an excellent hurler for the Cubbies and then the Strangers (as they were known then @ Central Jr. Hi). HOF IIRC?
Winner. Ferguson is the HoFer I was referencing.

Amazing he had a 25 win season for Texas. Also with the Cubs registered 6 seasons with at least 20 wins. He amassed 284 total in 19 seasons. Stalwart.

Only, other two are Kevin Brown (not the Orioles announcer) and Rick Helling.

Last edited:

Correct on De Leon, on the 60 Day IL.

Alcala could be an option to move to the 60 day.

I wouldn't be against Williams at all. He can play 1B and C, and with Jeffers hitting so well, he can DH when he's not catching and you eliminate that chance of losing the DH if there's an injury.

Winner. Ferguson is the HoFer I was referencing.

Amazing he had a 25 win season for Texas. Also with the Cubs registered 6 seasons with at least 20 wins. He amassed 284 total in 19 seasons. Stalwart.

Only, other two are Kevin Brown (not the Orioles announcer) and Rick Helling.
And the 🍒 is he’s a Canuck!

Like that Correra has been dropped to cleanup and had responded after getting his timing and head squared away earlier.

We’ll need him producing there when we win our first playoff series; Rocko makes some subtle moves like these and Carlos credited the move to leadoff with getting out of his funk. Remember, he tried it earlier in the season with Kepler- no I don’t think he’s the next TK, however he’s not the next Ray Miller either.

Kepler channeled Willie Norwood, costing us an unearned run. Hopefully his hot bat makes up for it.

Top Bottom