All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Have to say I take great joy in seeing that franchise implode pretty much year after year. 3 years ago they looked to have an incredibly bright future, now they're the biggest disappointment in MLB. Seeing Tim Anderson get KO'd brought a smile to my face as well.

For sure, that group has been a real disappointment for Chicago.

Possibly even more disappointing than our group of Sano, Buxton, Kepler, Rosario, Polanco, Berrios.

Our next wave coming up looks promising. Lewis, Julien, Kiriloff, Wallner, Lee, Miranda?, Ober.

Last edited:

(I'm going to post this then dive into the flameproof bunker)

Carlos Correa leading Twins in clutch hits this season. I'm not making this up.

according to the Twitter account @TwinsRibbies -

Carlos Correa is leading the Twins with 13 game-tying or go-ahead hits this season:

Correa 13
Kepler 12
Kirilloff 10
Farmer 9
Buxton, Jeffers, Solano, Taylor 8
Lewis, Polanco, Vazquez 7
4 tied with 6 each.

(Lewis has 31 hits in 26 games played - and 7 were game-tying or go-ahead hits......damn.....)

(I'm going to post this then dive into the flameproof bunker)

Carlos Correa leading Twins in clutch hits this season. I'm not making this up.

according to the Twitter account @TwinsRibbies -

Carlos Correa is leading the Twins with 13 game-tying or go-ahead hits this season:

Correa 13
Kepler 12
Kirilloff 10
Farmer 9
Buxton, Jeffers, Solano, Taylor 8
Lewis, Polanco, Vazquez 7
4 tied with 6 each.

(Lewis has 31 hits in 26 games played - and 7 were game-tying or go-ahead hits......damn.....)
I think at least part of that has to do with him just having the most opportunities due to him playing the most. He has 100 PA than anyone else on the team.

His late and close numbers are pretty solid though.

There’s been some back and forth about Willie the Weapon (personally I’d be bored silly if he wasn’t swiping 💼) and his usefulness to our squad (you’re not the only ones in TwinsLand wondering about it). Interesting stats/take by Gleeman in The Athletic-

How much does Willi Castro’s base-stealing ability affect his overall value as a player? — Jonathan B.

Three things have made Willi Castro a valuable all-around player for the Twins despite hitting just .246/.330/.375 for a 95 OPS+

While a below-average hitter overall, he’s thrived in game-changing situations, batting .298/.436/.426 with runners in scoring position and .353/.433/.608 in high-leverage spots. That’s neither sustainable nor predictive, but it’s definitely helped the Twins a lot more than his middling season totals suggest.

Castro’s fielding flexibility has also been key for a constantly banged-up lineup. He’s started games at five positions, including extensive action at third base, left field and center field, with solid defensive stats and some highlight-reel plays.

And his base-stealing has been a revelation. Despite being very fast, he stole only 18 bases in 303 games for the Tigers and was caught 10 times. He played sparingly early with the Twins and didn’t steal his first base until April 30, but he has 27 steals since mid-May — third-most in MLB — while being thrown out just twice, adding an element the Twins were severely lacking.

I’d say Castro’s value has been about 40 percent baserunning, 40 percent hitting and 20 percent defense, and he also seems well-liked for his clubhouse vibes.

Who says the twins can’t hit lefties?

When do the twins put Jordan Luplow into the hall of fame?

The one that’s gonna win the playoff series you see in person!

Oh yeah. Twins convo will now turn to our playoff pitching rotation. 7 wks of starting pitching playoff rotation debate. And I'm here for it!

Separated at birth. Ryan Jeffers and Will Ferrell?

Wow. Royce Lewis starts tomorrow at St Paul. Who will the twins send down when Royce is brought up?

Oh yeah. Twins convo will now turn to our playoff pitching rotation. 7 wks of starting pitching playoff rotation debate. And I'm here for it!
I’d go Meada, Lopez and Ober.

I think Ryan’s meaningful starts are over for the year - - good 2-3 weeks before he may be ready to return and Sonny is a liability the third time through the lineup.

You have a Dallas as another lefty for the pen and Sonny as a long man in case anyone flops- I know Kenta has the experience doing it, but man he’s been money recentlly.

Wow. Royce Lewis starts tomorrow at St Paul. Who will the twins send down when Royce is brought up?
I don’t think it’ll be Gallo because otherwise they only have Solano that plays 1st. Too bad Wallner can’t play some there. I’m guessing Luplow but I’m also gonna guess Lewis will be in St Paul for a bit.

Once Kirilloff is back I’m hoping Gallo is out.

The orioles didn’t exactly have a good night as an organization. They are being ripped by every broadcast crew in the country.

I don’t think it’ll be Gallo because otherwise they only have Solano that plays 1st. Too bad Wallner can’t play some there. I’m guessing Luplow but I’m also gonna guess Lewis will be in St Paul for a bit.

Once Kirilloff is back I’m hoping Gallo is out.
Pretty much anyone can play first. Give Buxton a Steve Balboni first baseman's mitt if he "can't" play center field.

Pretty much anyone can play first. Give Buxton a Steve Balboni first baseman's mitt if he "can't" play center field.
Kepler can play there in a pinch so they could make that move if they think Kirilloff is close to being ready.

Kepler can play there in a pinch so they could make that move if they think Kirilloff is close to being ready.
Why play Kepler at first and not AK? AK is a much better first baseman than OF and Kepler has emphatically told the Twins he doesn’t like playing CF and that’s why he wasn’t there last season(per Gleeman).

He seems like the type of player who needs a consistent routine to thrive, some players aren’t flexible and he’s in a great groove now - he’s the last player I’d move.

AK can play corner spots when Wallner and Kepler need a day off or also DH.

I think Buck is done for the year and quietly won’t return.

They mentioned on the telecast that there is no need to rush Royce up now, as the bats are sizzling. You can mix and match Polanco and Lewis and send Farmer to the phantom IR if need be; plus there may end up being another injury in the last 7 weeks if the season.

Last edited:

Top Bottom