All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

This is exactly the argument. The relievers we would have been targeting would have cost us nothing.

Although now that I write that the guys we gave up for Lopez last year were essentially nothing at the time.
I doubt Cano is anything but a one-year wonder anwyay. The younger pitcher might be something. But Lopez was a closer with 2.5 years of team control. Brand Hand or Chacin from Arizona wouldn't have cost anywhere near what Lopez did.

I get the injuries are frustrating but you don't just up and trade your two best young players. You won't get equal value back. This team still has a core to win in the next 2-3 years. That would be a recipe for gutting everything and cutting to a $50 million payroll. You don't sign Buxton/Correa and then do that two years later.

Getting solid MLB proven players may end up being more value back. Right now you can still likely get that for teams who believe in both players long term upside. If you knew this was how Buxton would turn out 3-5 years ago, you're telling me you wouldn't have traded him then?

The main reason this franchise never wins anything is because we're always waiting on guys who end up being derailed by injuries or other things. Mauer/Morneau were the future, then it was Buxton and Sano, now it's Kirilloff and Lewis.

Invest in the guys who stay healthy and get what you can for the guys who can't stay healthy while they have upside. They are stuck with Buxton now, but imagine what they could have gotten for him in a trade several years ago. I see Kirilloff and Lewis heading down the exact same path.

Getting solid MLB proven players may end up being more value back. Right now you can still likely get that for teams who believe in both players long term upside. If you knew this was how Buxton would turn out 3-5 years ago, you're telling me you wouldn't have traded him then?

The main reason this franchise never wins anything is because we're always waiting on guys who end up being derailed by injuries or other things. Mauer/Morneau were the future, then it was Buxton and Sano, now it's Kirilloff and Lewis.

Invest in the guys who stay healthy and get what you can for the guys who can't stay healthy while they have upside. They are stuck with Buxton now, but imagine what they could have gotten for him in a trade several years ago. I see Kirilloff and Lewis heading down the exact same path.
This is awfully fatalistic and by this logic any good players they get in exchange will be similarly cursed to be injured. Lewis tore his ACL twice. Maybe some people are prone to it but it's also a fair dose of bad luck. The odds you will get anyone in exchange for him as good as his potential are low.

As for Kiriloff, I'm more on board with you as I think the wrist will come back to be an issue. But I also don't think he will net that much in a trade for the same reason. If he puts together a full season next year and has a high trade value, sell then. Trading him this off-season is selling low.

This is awfully fatalistic and by this logic any good players they get in exchange will be similarly cursed to be injured. Lewis tore his ACL twice. Maybe some people are prone to it but it's also a fair dose of bad luck. The odds you will get anyone in exchange for him as good as his potential are low.

As for Kiriloff, I'm more on board with you as I think the wrist will come back to be an issue. But I also don't think he will net that much in a trade for the same reason. If he puts together a full season next year and has a high trade value, sell then. Trading him this off-season is selling low.

Lewis is 24 and strained his oblique by routinely running the bases. That’s not quite chipping your tooth on a steak level but it’s not far off.

Lewis is 24 and strained his oblique by routinely running the bases. That’s not quite chipping your tooth on a steak level but it’s not far off.
Yes. Has he had that same injury previously? Not that I'm aware. He's a year or two removed from being one of the top prospects in baseball. You want to sell low on him. I don't.

Yes. Has he had that same injury previously? Not that I'm aware. He's a year or two removed from being one of the top prospects in baseball. You want to sell low on him. I don't.

How many different injuries has Buxton had? Doesn't matter if it's not a repeat injury, he's brittle. He was also a better prospect than Lewis. Lewis is injury prone, it's obvious already. You think it's selling low, I think it's selling high because I don't think he'll ever stay healthy enough to live up to his prior rankings/draft status. He's also nowhere near the defensive player Buxton was.

How many different injuries has Buxton had? Doesn't matter if it's not a repeat injury, he's brittle. He was also a better prospect than Lewis. Lewis is injury prone, it's obvious already. You think it's selling low, I think it's selling high because I don't think he'll ever stay healthy enough to live up to his prior rankings/draft status. He's also nowhere near the defensive player Buxton was.
What do you think the return is for Lewis?

Since July 2nd, Joey Gallo is batting .106 2 HR's and 29 K's in 52 PA. An OPS of .448. Apparently we're good with that and are just going to keep running him out there.

Good thing Cleveland lost today as they can just phone it in tonight. Really Joe? Four homers and 7 runs in just 3 innings.

He’s been healthy not playing center field, but he’s been terrible.
How is it even possible for him to get injured at this point? The only way he can get injured is pulling a muscle while striking out, or injuring his jaw while chewing gum for the 2.5hrs he sits on the bench as a DH. He starts to hit a little bit lately and (of course) pulls a muscle running out a double. Can't make it up. This year he's looked like a Sano that doesn't play defense.

ESPN
How is it even possible for him to get injured at this point? The only way he can get injured is pulling a muscle while striking out, or injuring his jaw while chewing gum for the 2.5hrs he sits on the bench as a DH. He starts to hit a little bit lately and (of course) pulls a muscle running out a double. Can't make it up. This year he's looked like a Sano that doesn't play defense.
He's been glass for years.

There is no reason to fight it. This guy is glass.

Why did the Twins bother signing him to a minor league deal to then never give him a shot?

Why did the Twins bother signing him to a minor league deal to then never give him a shot?
Supposedly they have until tomorrow to add him to the roster. Give Ryan an IL stint and get him up here.

Keuchel has been lucky in the minors and his era will balloon in the majors. I have no problem not putting him into the rotation.

On Joe Ryan he needs to stop using his fastball at a 40% clip as it’s not a good fastball. He needs to develop another pitch, maybe a cutter. The league has adjusted to his fastball usage and is hammering him. Pete Maki and his pitch calling has been a problem and pretty sure he is gone at the end of the year.

He’s not concerned and all is well. WTF

ST. LOUIS — The home runs, Joe Ryan said after his last start, were “not really concerning.”

“You throw a lot of strikes and guys are going to swing and stuff happens,” Ryan said before professing that he thought he would be fine on that front down the stretch.

If Ryan's not fixable, the handful of Falvine supporters that are left are going to have to find something else to hang their hats on.

This was how this pitcher got his first career strikeout. A foul tip that was “caught” by the catcher.

Top Bottom