All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Eduardo Rodriguez (Tigers) just invoked his no trade contract to the Dodgers (they were one of his teams on his limited no trade list, one of ten teams).

Forget about just about anything else that happened at the deadline. Rodriguez saying "No" to the Dodgers has to be right up there with Verlander going back to Houston.

Forget about just about anything else that happened at the deadline. Rodriguez saying "No" to the Dodgers has to be right up there with Verlander going back to Houston.
Can’t wait to see the Braves tee off against Lance Lynn😃

Guards trade Josh Bell to Marlins for Jean Segura and Kahili Watson ( former first round pick)..

Getting Brock Stewart back is just like making a trad..... Oh

Glad we sat on our thumbs and did nothing. Pagan extension incoming...

He did not want to go to any west coast team. Weird.

I wonder if someone should do a welfare check on MUGopher32.
I didn’t expect a whole lot to be honest but doing nothing is ridiculous. Just adding a right handed bat or middle reliever wouldn’t have costed much.

Waiting for the obligatory “we like the team we have” comments.

Wow I’m old😆

Ah sweet memories😃

Does 2023 have three or four guys who can approach that kind of production here the last two months and then the playoffs

If Correra or Buck was having a half decent season, I’d say we have a puncher’s chance. Otherwise, it’s too much for all the youn guys- need an old head to be the anchor IMO.

I think the starting pitching will rebound.

I’m really hoping that the Mariners want to deal aggressively now, as the teams above them have greatly improved themselves - I would prefer Hernandez over France, but give us just one PLEASE!!

100% on Correa and Buxton. If we're going to have any kind of a special season it will have to be fronted by one or both of them.

It doesn't sound like Kiriloff is out long. They could acquire a RH bat who can play 1st. If not, call up Chris Williams or use a combination of Solano, Farmer or perhaps Polanco can handle it (after Lewis returns.) It's 1st base. We stuck Arraez there last year and it was fine. There is no excuse for continuing the Joey Gallo experiment other than front office hubris.

I wouldn't bet on it with Kirilloff, or if he does return, another injury will pop up. Polanco? He'll probably be on the IL again before the end of the month. I've had it again with this organization after doing nothing today. I've also had it with these young guys who are our 'future' who never stay healthy.

It's no different than Buxton. They should have traded him instead of signing him. Players don't get healthier as they age. Injury prone guys are always injury prone.

If you can get another organization to give up proven MLB talent for Kirilloff, Lewis, and Larnach, I would trade them all this offseason.

He did not want to go to any west coast team. Weird.
He stated his family is on the East Coast and he wanted to be closer to them, but it’s for a short time and can he can opt ou and be a free agent when the season is over.

Maybe he’s allergic to Dodger 🐶?

Last edited:

There it is. The obligatory we are getting hurt guys back, which is just like making trades. Of course if you got guys back and traded for people your team would be even stronger.

Now I honestly don’t care that they didn’t trade for anyone as the team is not good. All the issues were known about in the off-season and the front office did nothing to address them then, so why do it now. Plus until the regular players start playing better the team is what it is.

Think BSN was being sarcastic after Rocco's statement about sticking with the guys on the roster by flashing "It Never Gets Old" on the screen? Lol

MN sports in a nut shell

Biggest FA signing in MN sports history and he turns into a defensive only player. The SS should be hitting 9th

3 Stars of Today's Game:

#1 Lopez with the start.
#2 Solano with the PH to drive in 2 go ahead runs.
#3 Whomever noticed the Card runner missed 1st base.

Lopez was cruising after 6 but gets pulled I’m assuming because he was at 94 pitches. Yes they won but why not let get at least another inning in?

I wouldn't bet on it with Kirilloff, or if he does return, another injury will pop up. Polanco? He'll probably be on the IL again before the end of the month. I've had it again with this organization after doing nothing today. I've also had it with these young guys who are our 'future' who never stay healthy.

It's no different than Buxton. They should have traded him instead of signing him. Players don't get healthier as they age. Injury prone guys are always injury prone.

If you can get another organization to give up proven MLB talent for Kirilloff, Lewis, and Larnach, I would trade them all this offseason.
Trade Kiriloff and Lewis? What are we left with then?

It would have been nice to add some pieces - but at what cost?

you can't evaluate a trade in a vacuum.

like it or not, in some cases, no trade can be better than a bad trade. a lot of people liked the Mahle and J. Lopez deals last year when they were made. in hindsight, most people would like to take those deals back.

I would rather have no deal as opposed to seeing the Twins trade away more top prospects and get damaged goods in return.

---------------------
in a completely different topic - Matt Canterino is tweeting that he is hitting 90mph in his rehab - which is now 11 months removed from TJ surgery. with his injury history, it's a long shot, but if Canterino can come back, that puts another really good arm in the bullpen.

like it or not, in some cases, no trade can be better than a bad trade. a lot of people liked the Mahle and J. Lopez deals last year when they were made. in hindsight, most people would like to take those deals back.

I would rather have no deal as opposed to seeing the Twins trade away more top prospects and get damaged goods in return.
While I would have liked to have added a bullpen arm or two, I have landed on the same opinion as well.

If they don't have enough as is to outlast the Guards, I am not really sure adding some generic relievers would help that effort as well as be enough to win a playoff game or two.

Let 'er ride.

---------------------
in a completely different topic - Matt Canterino is tweeting that he is hitting 90mph in his rehab - which is now 11 months removed from TJ surgery. with his injury history, it's a long shot, but if Canterino can come back, that puts another really good arm in the bullpen.
Honestly, I would have been happy with a middle reliever and/or RH OF option with an expiring contract. Wouldn't have costed that much. Lopez was a closer for Baltimore and had two additional years of team control. That's why he costed so much. Mahle had another year as well.

It may not make much of a difference but it at least sends the message that they are trying to improve the team, even if just a little bit.

This is a pretty weak excuse. Adding Tommy Pham and say Brad Hand would have cost zero top 10 prospects. Would those two make us World Series contenders? No. Would they increase our odds of winning the division and maybe a play-off game or two? Yes. Is that worth doing in a year when the division is just sitting their for taking? Yes.

Whoever we get for them, still have Wallner, Brooks Lee, and eventually Emmanuel Rodriguez, and Walker Jenkins.
I get the injuries are frustrating but you don't just up and trade your two best young players. You won't get equal value back. This team still has a core to win in the next 2-3 years. That would be a recipe for gutting everything and cutting to a $50 million payroll. You don't sign Buxton/Correa and then do that two years later.

This is a pretty weak excuse. Adding Tommy Pham and say Brad Hand would have cost zero top 10 prospects. Would those two make us World Series contenders? No. Would they increase our odds of winning the division and maybe a play-off game or two? Yes. Is that worth doing in a year when the division is just sitting their for taking? Yes.
This is exactly the argument. The relievers we would have been targeting would have cost us nothing.

Although now that I write that the guys we gave up for Lopez last year were essentially nothing at the time.

Top Bottom