All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Certainly these trades are probably smart long-term, but I don't see how you can argue they make the 2023 Guardians better. Bieber is already out. You're desperate enough for starting pitching to trade for Syndergaard and now you're trading arguably your best remaining starter? I know Cleveland's pitching pipeline always produces but it seems like a stretch to say this isn't selling unless they have more moves coming.

They may feel like they can get better numbers out of Syndergaard going forward. Much like Gray a month and a half ago, Civale's advanced numbers like XERA are not nearly as good as his actual ERA. We've seen Gray's numbers steadily regress since, and it's likely they feel the same way about Civale. They were able to get a top hitting prospect prospect in return, and they desperately need hitting.

Since we're hoping the 2023 twins can re-create 1987 thought it would be fun to do a comparison of the two teams using ops. Was kinda interesting, don't recall Hrbek's ops being that high nor Gladden's being that low. Also hopefully Royce Lewis fits in somewhere so should help the current squad. Could Lewis put the current version on his back?

1B. HRBEK .934.
2B. Lombo .650.
SS. GAGNE .740
3B. GAETTI .788
LF. Gladden. .673
CF. PUCKETT .901
RF. BRUNO .,841
C. Laudner .641
DH. SMALLEY .763. Baylor .703

1B. Kiriloff .799
2B. JULIEN .923
SS. Correa .701
3B. Polanco .723
LF. GALLO .740
CF. Taylor .682. Castro .701
RF. Kepler .740
C. JEFFERS .823
DH. Buxton .731

Last edited:

Since we're hoping the 2023 twins can re-create 1987 thought it would be fun to do a comparison of the two teams using ops. Was kinda interesting, don't recall Hrbek's ops being that high nor Gladden's being that low. Also hopefully Royce Lewis fits in somewhere so should help the current squad. Could Lewis put the current version on his back?

1B. HRBEK .934.
2B. Lombo .650.
SS. GAGNE .740
3B. GAETTI .788
LF. Gladden. .673
CF. PUCKETT .901
RF. BUSH .752. Larkin .722
C. Laudner .641

1B. Kiriloff .799
2B. JULIEN .923
SS. Correa .701
3B. Polanco .723
LF. GALLO .740
RF. Kepler .740
C. JEFFERS .823
DH. Buxton .731
No Bruno?

1B. HRBEK .934.
2B. Lombo .650.
SS. GAGNE .740
3B. GAETTI .788
LF. Gladden. .673
CF. PUCKETT .901
RF. BRUNO .,823
C. Laudner .641

1B. Kiriloff .799
2B. JULIEN .923
SS. Correa .701
3B. Polanco .723
LF. GALLO .740
RF. Kepler .740
C. JEFFERS .823
DH. Buxton .731
Thank you - impressive.

Informative stuff like this keeps me coming back.

RE: Lewis - possibly, but then he’ll end up with a sore back 😃. I read a report on him and talked about the oddity of his journey, as he lost do much time to hone Delhi’s craft in the minors due to injuries and COVID. What he’s been able to accomplish in spite of that is amazing IMO

I really hope he can have regular, good health moving forward and isn’t a star crossed athlete who gets bit by the Capulet/Montague injury bug for his whole career.

1B. HRBEK .934.
2B. Lombo .650.
SS. GAGNE .740
3B. GAETTI .788
LF. Gladden. .673
CF. PUCKETT .901
RF. BRUNO .,823
C. Laudner .641

1B. Kiriloff .799
2B. JULIEN .923
SS. Correa .701
3B. Polanco .723
LF. GALLO .740
RF. Kepler .740
C. JEFFERS .823
DH. Buxton .731
Baseball reference has Bruno at .841

Gagne has a better OPS than Correa? I mean, seriously

I always thought Gagne was an underrated cog as part of the the '87 & '91 teams. His departure following the '92 season was one of the reasons for the decade of abyss.

His election into the Twins HoF was well deserved.

1B. HRBEK .934.
2B. Lombo .650.
SS. GAGNE .740
3B. GAETTI .788
LF. Gladden. .673
CF. PUCKETT .901
RF. BRUNO .,823
C. Laudner .641

1B. Kiriloff .799
2B. JULIEN .923
SS. Correa .701
3B. Polanco .723
LF. GALLO .740
RF. Kepler .740
C. JEFFERS .823
DH. Buxton .731
Hrbek walked a lot. Gladden should have never been a lead off batter.

In modest defense of Correa, their OPS+, which compares it to league average, is the same. Now of course the bar should be higher for Correa but we are comparing different eras here.

MLB Network just spent time on this - I’d ❤️Hernandez’s swag in the clubhouse; maybe they can clone some for our struggling vets.

They also brought up a new model where contending teams can but and sell simultaneously to creatively address needs and that’s it’s an either/or deal you’re either a seller or a buyer- it can be “and/both” instead.

MLB Network just spent time on this - I’d ❤️Hernandez’s swag in the clubhouse; maybe they can clone some for our struggling vets.

They also brought up a new model where contending teams can but and sell simultaneously to creatively address needs and that’s it’s an either/or deal you’re either a seller or a buyer- it can be “and/both” instead.
Also the geniuses on the MLB Network weren’t complimentary regarding the Guards moves. To wit -

They already have Nailor at first and some other young gun and the guy, so the player the first sacker good prospect they received is somewhat redundant, as Nailor is about as adept as Julien at playing another position.

Trading Civale is a major gut punch to the clubhouse, as all you have to do is get in - they had a former Giant (Jake Peavy - who was traded 3 times @the deadline) who was on the 2024 wildcard team that won it all and brought up Phil’s as the last wildcard who made the WS last year.

They also think it’s possible Cease will be moved and a front runner then would be the LA Fluffers @tikited. Better fit then Verlander, as he has 2 years under team control, will be cheaper as he’s under performed this year after being the Cy runner up last year and Verlander has a player option for $35M for 2025 if he chucks 140 innings this year😱 ( which he should easily make this year - unless he gets hurt this year).

Last edited:

Braves acquired Mr. Hand from the Rocks

DeJung to Jays, so Twins better thump the Cards as they should be busy planning their offseason vacas on Monday.

Last edited:

You can even be a buyer and seller with the same player (2017 Twins - Jaime Garcia).

Your first paragraph has me wondering if GopherInIowa may have two accounts. 🙂

On the serious side, thanks for the heads up on Bruno. Not sure that the comparisons between the two squads brings much good news for this season. Starting pitching depth certainly a plus this season, but that is somewhat minimized in postseason of course.

Gallo in the lineup tonight. This is not a serious organization. I officially expect no moves.

Mets have a plethora of their prospects at the team hotel in KC to replace the players they may end up shipping out today- their understudies 🤣

Chana shipped to the Brewers, thinking they’ll also send out Pham, Vogelbach and of course Verlander (Stros and Mets trying to figure out the players, if it’s a fit) - sounds like it’s not the Dodgers are a threat at 2:45 ET

Your first paragraph has me wondering if GopherInIowa may have two accounts. 🙂

On the serious side, thanks for the heads up on Bruno. Not sure that the comparisons between the two squads brings much good news for this season. Starting pitching depth certainly a plus this season, but that is somewhat minimized in postseason of course.
GII is one of the last people on here i want to be accused of being :ROFLMAO:

Mets have a plethora of their prospects at the team hotel in KC to replace the players they may end up shipping out today- their understudies 🤣

Chana shipped to the Brewers, thinking they’ll also send out Pham, Vogelbach and of course Verlander (Stros and Mets trying to figure out the players, if it’s a fit) - sounds like it’s not the Dodgers are a threat at 2:45 ET
Bob Nightengale just reported the deal is done with Stros and Mets for Verlander

Gallo in the lineup tonight. This is not a serious organization. I officially expect no moves.

That's the biggest issue with Kirilloff being injured, again. Who else is going to play 1B? Solano has been horrible lately too.

So many want to play the youth more, but the youth doesn't stay healthy. Kirilloff, Lewis, Miranda, Larnach, these guys make it about a month before it's back to the IL. Trade them all for solid vets who actually play the majority of the season at this point.

GII is one of the last people on here i want to be accused of being :ROFLMAO:
giphy.gif

Thank you - impressive.

Informative stuff like this keeps me coming back.

RE: Lewis - possibly, but then he’ll end up with a sore back 😃. I read a report on him and talked about the oddity of his journey, as he lost do much time to hone Delhi’s craft in the minors due to injuries and COVID. What he’s been able to accomplish in spite of that is amazing IMO

I really hope he can have regular, good health moving forward and isn’t a star crossed athlete who gets bit by the Capulet/Montague injury bug for his whole career.

Thanks. Was kinda fun looking back at those numbers from 36 yrs ago. One way to look at it is that the top four hitters in 1987 were something: Puckett, Hrbek, Gaetti, Bruno. Does 2023 have three or four guys who can approach that kind of production here the last two months and then the playoffs?

Doubtful, I suppose. But Julien, Kiriloff, Lewis, Correa, Buxton have the potential. Would be a lot of fun if three or four of these guys would reincarnate the 2023 group.

Our pitching has hit a mini slump, but not too worried about that yet. Need the bats.

Bob Nightengale just reported the deal is done with Stros and Mets for Verlander
Imagine being a Mets fans who just a few months ago thought they had one of the best teams in baseball.

Edit: one of the guys traded for Verlander is Drew Gilbert who's from Stillwater, played college ball at Tennessee.

Imagine being a Mets fans who just a few months ago thought they had one of the best teams in baseball.

Edit: one of the guys traded for Verlander is Drew Gilbert who's from Stillwater, played college ball at Tennessee.
They’re my NY team, but I have come to expect it🤣. I’m surprised they tore it done this aggressively, but Cohen will still have a top ten payroll this year in dead money & the luxury taxes, as they’re apparently aborning a lot of Max & Justin’s salary, plus The James McCann deal. They acquired Gilbert from the Stros and he was the overall number one pick last year, he’s gonna restock his farm system - that’s real “F everyone 💰.”

We got first row left field for their tilt against the Pirates for $30 instead of $50.

on the '87 Twins - comparisons between different eras can be tricky.

the approach to pitching is a lot different now than it was 36 years ago. Starters are used differently, and the same with bullpens. today, most teams have multiple relievers who can throw mid- to upper-90's. approach to hitting is also different - less emphasis on batting average and more on (forgive me for saying this) the "three true outcomes."

but that was a fun club. they had some swagger - a commodity that the present team certainly lacks.

Thanks. Was kinda fun looking back at those numbers from 36 yrs ago.
Wow I’m old😆
One way to look at it is that the top four hitters in 1987 were something: Puckett, Hrbek, Gaetti, Bruno.
Ah sweet memories😃

Does 2023 have three or four guys who can approach that kind of production here the last two months and then the playoffs

Doubtful, I suppose. But Julien, Kiriloff, Lewis, Correa, Buxton have the potential. Would be a lot of fun if three or four of these guys would reincarnate the 2023 group.
If Correra or Buck was having a half decent season, I’d say we have a puncher’s chance. Otherwise, it’s too much for all the youn guys- need an old head to be the anchor IMO.
Our pitching has hit a mini slump, but not too worried about that yet. Need the bats.
I think the starting pitching will rebound.

I’m really hoping that the Mariners want to deal aggressively now, as the teams above them have greatly improved themselves - I would prefer Hernandez over France, but give us just one PLEASE!!

Top Bottom